Re: Ctenops nobilis breeding info

  • Gerald
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 7:48 AM
      You could try leaving a dark container (gray plastic pipe with
      screen rubber-banded on one end?) in his favorite spot, then maybe
      he'll move in and you can lift him out with no chasing.

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Tagrin"
      <BizEcology@...> wrote:

      > I did a quick check and got the following info:

      http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Labyrinthfish/Ctenops/Ctenops_nobilis.h
      tm

      > Breeding: Prior to breeding a small bubblenest is sometimes made
      by the
      > male. The fish will breed near the surface, and the female will
      produce an
      > egg packet which is fertilized by the male. The female will
      collect the
      > eggs, and spit them out in front of the male, who will pick up the
      eggs.
      > Mouthbrooding period around 11-14 days, after which 40-100 fry are
      spat out
      > by the male. Fry are approximately 6 mm large, but should be fed
      with
      > infusoria for the first period.
      >

      > On 5/2/08, rarefins <rarefins@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I got a group of these last year from Mark. They are pretty
      aggresive
      > > towards one another and my six are down to four in a 50breeder.
      They
      > > have always looked skinny no matter how much I pump into them.
      They are
      > > not as finicky as reported as food really isn't as much of an
      issue as
      > > the aggression. A pair seems to have formed and one is holding.
      One has
      > > a mouth that is BULGING and the other is defending a fairly large
      > > territory. Dilema- how soon to stress the hell out them by
      trying to
      > > catch them out of the tangle of wood that they call home.
      Leaving the