Lower Shrimp Prices for Sunday

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
      I just got an email from our current Indonesian supplier, offering lower prices on the new shrimp for shipment this week.  If you're interested in these, please let me know today.  My order goes in tomorrow morning.  They'll come in on Sunday and will be shipped to you a couple of days later.  I have tanks set up and ready for these, so this should work well.  I can sell some of these to you for less than I would have to pay to get them from the new Indonesian supplier, so take advantage if you're interested in any of these species.

      COMMON NAMESCIENTIFIC NAMESIZEEACHPER 6PER 12PER 25
      RED WHITE SPOTTED RED BEE SHIRMPNeocaridina sp1-1.2cm$20.00$114.00$204.00$375.00
      CELEBES BEAUTY SHIRMPNeocaridina spongicola1-1.2cm$20.00$114.00$204.00$375.00
      DARK RED BEENeocaridina sp1-1.2cm$20.00$114.00$204.00$375.00
      PIVA SHIRMPNeocaridina sp1-1.2cm$20.00$114.00$204.00$375.00
      MARBLE RED BEENeocaridina sp1-1.2cm$20.00$114.00$204.00$375.00

    • Gerald Griffin
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
        OK I am gonna toss this out there;

        I have read alot about them and everything I remember reading says keep them in brackish water with some salt and hard water.

        Well I did not.  I obtained a bunch from a friend who wanted to clear out a tank and I put them in an Apisto tank so its soft water and lower pH.

        Long story short they laid eggs.

        Anyone else breed these things?  If so what were your water conditions?

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
            (Not a first-hand knowledge, but I've been looking into them...)

            Bumblebee gobies are not one species, but several. Some are true
            freshwater, some require brackish conditions, at least for the
            reproduction. The best thing is to try to id them first (I'm restraining
            myself from getting them since I cannot ID them well enough yet). You can
            also google for "bumblebee gobies breeding" and find a lot of information;
            in some articles the species are identified. For example for Brachygobius
            nunus, Brachygobius xanthozona there is detailed information.

            hth

            > OK I am gonna toss this out there;
            >
            > I have read alot about them and everything I remember reading says keep
            > them in brackish water with some salt and hard water.
            >
            > Well I did not. I obtained a bunch from a friend who wanted to clear
            > out a tank and I put them in an Apisto tank so its soft water and lower
            > pH.
            >
            > Long story short they laid eggs.
            >
            > Anyone else breed these things? If so what were your water conditions?
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Total Access, No Cost.
          • Gerald Griffin

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                Well then I probably have it narrowed down to a freshwater species then WEG.

                Michael Vulis <mv@...> wrote:
                (Not a first-hand knowledge, but I've been looking into them...)

                Bumblebee gobies are not one species, but several. Some are true
                freshwater, some require brackish conditions, at least for the
                reproduction. The best thing is to try to id them first (I'm restraining
                myself from getting them since I cannot ID them well enough yet). You can
                also google for "bumblebee gobies breeding" and find a lot of information;
                in some articles the species are identified. For example for Brachygobius
                nunus, Brachygobius xanthozona there is detailed information.

                hth

                > OK I am gonna toss this out there;
                >
                > I have read alot about them and everything I remember reading says keep
                > them in brackish water with some salt and hard water.
                >
                > Well I did not. I obtained a bunch from a friend who wanted to clear
                > out a tank and I put them in an Apisto tank so its soft water and lower
                > pH.
                >
                > Long story short they laid eggs.
                >
                > Anyone else breed these things? If so what were your water conditions?
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                > You rock. That's why Blockbuster' s offering you one month of Blockbuster
                > Total Access, No Cost.

              • Earl Blewett
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008

                  Hey Gerald et al.,

                  I’ve spawned the Schooling Bumblebee Gobie, B. agreggatus, but never raised the fry successfully. If I had I would’ve BAPed them.

                  I had them in my brackish tank, specific gravity 1.010.  The adults were only 0.75” and the fry were as small or smaller than Clown Killies.  Since this happened in December I had no greenwater and they wouldn’t take vinegar eels, yeast or microworm medium.

                  Good luck.

                  Too bad you’re not going to the OKAA meeting this Saturday. I’m bringing in a BAP target species.

                  Best wishes,

                  Earl

                  Earl L. Blewett Ph.D.

                  Assoc. Professor of Microbiology

                  Dept of Biochemistry and Microbiology

                  Oklahoma State University - Center for Health Sciences

                  1111 West 17th Street

                  Tulsa, OK 74107

                  micro@...

                  Office (918) 561-8405

                  FAX   (918) 561-8414

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Would they not take BBS?

                    ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----
                    Earl L. Blewett Ph.D.
                    Assoc. Professor of Microbiology
                    Dept of Biochemistry and Microbiology
                    Oklahoma State University - Center for Health Sciences
                    1111 West 17th Street
                    Tulsa, OK 74107
                    micro@earlblewett. net
                    Office (918) 561-8405
                    FAX   (918) 561-8414

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                      The fry of bumblebee gobies are too small to take bbs.  Let me suggest two possible first foods for them:

                      1.  (the easiest, if it would work) frozen oyster eggs.  I use them mixed with vinegar eels for fw gobie fry

                      2.  you can buy starter cultures of SW rotifers and use them as a first food.  Aquatic EcoSystems sells them, as well as "The Plankton Culture Manual" by Hoff.

                      On 4/2/08, Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...> wrote:

                      Would they not take BBS?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                        What about golden pearls?

                        Larry Tagrin <BizEcology@...> wrote:
                        The fry of bumblebee gobies are too small to take bbs.  Let me suggest two possible first foods for them:

                        1.  (the easiest, if it would work) frozen oyster eggs.  I use them mixed with vinegar eels for fw gobie fry

                        2.  you can buy starter cultures of SW rotifers and use them as a first food.  Aquatic EcoSystems sells them, as well as "The Plankton Culture Manual" by Hoff.

                        On 4/2/08, Gerald Griffin <herpchat@yahoo. com> wrote:
                        Would they not take BBS?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008

                          Dear Gerald et al.,

                          << Would they not take BBS?>>

                          I tried SF brand bbs but they wouldn’t take them. The bbs lived for 2 days in the tank so they were available for the fry.

                          Good luck,

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                                    Biofuel for fish!  Only in Indiana!
                                    Aw, shucks
                                    Mark

                                    .

                                  • d3dd@webtv.net
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                                      I bred the BBG that was in the hobby
                                      some 20 years ago. They were in
                                      a 5 with tap water/ small grrain blackish
                                      gravel, red slate, Java Moss/ Fern.
                                      Sponge filter.

                                      Light brackish water - maybe a teaspoon
                                      of salt per gallon.

                                      A friend gave me a couple of small
                                      shells - about the size of a little
                                      Hermit Crab shell. I was afraid to
                                      put them in the tank but they were a
                                      gift so I did.

                                      Some time later, I saw two males
                                      in the shells, guarding eggs. The males
                                      guarded a small territory around each
                                      shell. Fresh brine shirmp or small
                                      bits of frozen bloodworms would
                                      not be chased down and eaten unless
                                      the food was within the territory.

                                      The other Gobies went about their
                                      business. I don't remember a lot
                                      of aggression or attempted raids on
                                      the eggs. In fact, most of the Gobies
                                      spent a lot of time together under the
                                      red shale shelves that stuck out of the
                                      gravel.

                                      By the 3rd dy,one male deserted his
                                      shell of eggs. I removed all the
                                      fish to leave the gurading male with
                                      all the eggs. The fry were so very
                                      hard to way - they were slivers of
                                      light hanging vertically in the wate
                                      column. I do not know what happened
                                      between the egg ready to hatch and the
                                      fry in the water column.....

                                      I wish I had had the the tank STUFFED
                                      with Java Moss,,,,, when I added
                                      the liquid fry - it was all downhill and
                                      the fry died.

                                      What a thrill when I finally was able
                                      to see the fry - sooooo tiny.

                                      Best of luck - Donna/ Kansas
                                    • Larry Tagrin

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 3, 2008
                                          I had a woman who breeds peacocks tell me they can take BBS from the start.

                                        • VGRANDINETTI@NJTRANSIT.COM
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 3, 2008
                                            That always amazes me.  Where do the little critters come from? the air?  Are we breathing them also? Or do their eggs live on the leaves and hatch when they get wet?    ...GG

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 3, 2008
                                              I do not question ma nature I just am glad it happens. As of late I love to see the weather map bright red in the area that Gary Lange lives in because about 12 hours after they get flooded  my Cory's start to spawn if I feed them the chopped red worms as soon as that area turns red.
                                              I just set up another jar of fish bio fuel.
                                              aa