Re: wild betta

  • jeosbo01
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
      Are you interested in mouthbrooders or bubblenesters?

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "a_redneck_in_in" <a.laslie@...>
      wrote:

      > I am searching for the best way to get into breeding wild type betta.
      > Where would you suggest I start? I want them to be available through
      > Mark and that is my only requirement. A challenge is nice but would
      > like to start off with less of a challenge.
      > thanks
      > Adam

    • Doug Pham
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
        Adam,
            I suggest that you start out with mouthbrooders.  I got a pair of Betta edithae from Mark and they have been breeding regularly.  Once the fry are released, they are large enough to eat bbs, a lot easier to take care of than the splendens.  There are quite a few mouthbrooders in the wild bettas group.

        Good Luck,
        Doug

        a_redneck_in_in <a.laslie@...> wrote:
        I am searching for the best way to get into breeding wild type betta.
        Where would you suggest I start? I want them to be available through
        Mark and that is my only requirement. A challenge is nice but would
        like to start off with less of a challenge.
        thanks
        Adam

      • jeffreyrichardssc
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
          <a.laslie@...> wrote:

          > I am searching for the best way to get into breeding wild type
          betta.
          > Where would you suggest I start? I want them to be available through
          > Mark and that is my only requirement. A challenge is nice but would
          > like to start off with less of a challenge.
          > thanks
          > Adam

          Start with B. Imbellis. I got several pairs from Mark over a year
          ago. I put one pair in a 29 gallon tank with driftwood and heavily
          planted with crypts and java fern, and lot's of duckweed on the
          surface. I now have over 40 bettas in the tank (several generations).
          I constantly see 1/2 babies in the mass of plants. I don't even feed
          the babies (no BBS); in fact I only feed the tank once a day (flake
          or frozen bw, frozen daphnia and occasionally live blackworms). I
          need to pull some pairs out of there ...

          I also have a pair of B. sp. Mahachai producing fry in a 10 gallon
          tank ... tank has a potted crypt, driftwood and some java fern. Must
          have over 50 fry in there from several spawns.

          I was able to breed some B. Smaragdina in the same manner.
        • Larry Tagrin
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
            One of the easiest to breed is Betta pugnax.  It's not brightly colored, but it is a large fish (3"+) with plenty of personality.  The males have large green irridescent scales on the gill cover and the finage is quite impressive.

            The only problem is that the stores don't know how to sell them.  I've got several tanks full of them and will probably take at least a dozen to the local auction in April.

            Betta falx has a little more color on the fins, but the fins are not as impressive as the pugnax.  The falx (and its relatives) are only about half the size of a full grown pugnax.