Re: [anubiasdesign] Re: Betta Macrostoma

  • Myles Yancey
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi Larry

         sorry to hear about the problems with the bettas, all I doing is trying to find people how have raised them, so that I can learn from them.
      I am new to raising this type of betta.
      Myles
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 19 1:53 PM
        hello guys,

        I'm currently breeding betta macrostoma and betta rubra.

        my thread that I shared my experience on UB
        http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=17567

        my mac video, I haven't make any video of my rubra yet.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/bentusitheunbound

        this is my gallery
        http://vivianstudio.com/proofs/spawned-10-25-2007
        http://vivianstudio.com/proofs/betta-macrostoma-3-months-old-fry

        thank you

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Yancey" <yanceymp@...>

      • joesbirds@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 19 2:33 PM
          Hello

          this is the message I get when trying to access the gallery     " The album or photo that you were attempting to view either does not exist, or requires user privileges that you do not possess. Log in and try again. "

          wrote:

          > Hi Larry
          >
          > sorry to hear about the problems with the bettas, all I doing is
          trying to find people how have raised them, so that I can learn from
          them.
          > I am new to raising this type of betta.
          > Myles

        • Cody
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 31, 2012
            I'm really into betta keeping and breeding, and have wanted to delve into wild types for some time. The crown jewel of wild types of course would seem to be B. macrostoma. They seem impossible to find however. Are they a threatened species, or have import restraints? Does anyone know the story.

            I'm not actually ready to buy a pair, I want to expieriment with a similar less expensive mouth brooding betta first before taking that leap.
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 1, 2012
              They are available this week.

              There are collection limits.  The biggest threat to them in the wild is probably habitat loss.
              If you're new to Bettas, I would suggest the following progression:
              1 - one of the easy mouthbrooders, such as falx, edithae, pugnax or similar species
              2 - channoides or albimarginata
              3 - foerschi complex species or unimaculata complex species
              4 - macrostoma

              One of the keys to success with macrostoma is the initial water conditions.  You have to understand the requirements of black water fish.  Keeping licorice gouramies is also a good step towards macs.  Keys are soft, extremely acidic water with resulting very low bacteria count.  Efficient mechanical and chemical filtration - biological filtration is not effective in these water conditions.  Lots of hiding places and a very tight fitting cover are also important.

              I'm really into betta keeping and breeding, and have wanted to delve into wild types for some time. The crown jewel of wild types of course would seem to be B. macrostoma. They seem impossible to find however. Are they a threatened species, or have import restraints? Does anyone know the story.

              I'm not actually ready to buy a pair, I want to expieriment with a similar less expensive mouth brooding betta first before taking that leap.

            • harry perry
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 1, 2012
                Mark offers them from time to time. Really expensive.

                Harry