Re: [anubiasdesign] Breeding Betta Raja, update/Gerald

  • harry perry
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
      Will the parents eat the fry?

      Harry

      Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...> wrote:
      In my first Betta falx spawn I had a female on day 7 trigger a respawn and the male in excitment swallowed the eggs but a few got out through the gills and when he released the spawn after I removed the female there were two distinctive sizes, new born babies and a dozen that were a week old and just over a quarter inch larger then the newbies.  Eggs will develop on the bottom of the tanks if conditions are right.

      harry perry <harryfisherman@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      They definately spawned. When I fed them this morning the male spit out the eggs trying to take food. Dummy. He tried to gather them all up. I'm sure he missed a few. I guess I let nature take it's course and see what happens.

      Harry

      Gerald Griffin <herpchat@yahoo. com> wrote:
      That would be the red fighters, they primarily build submerged bubblenests and some will even mouthbrood.

      Larry Tagrin <BizEcology@gmail. com> wrote:
      Some of the small bubblenest bilders will build small bubblenests inside caves.  I have seen someone using empty film canisters to provide caves for these miniature beauties.

      On 9/2/07, BigJohnW@webtv. net <BigJohnW@webtv. net> wrote:
      Linda

      Im afraid you have half the facts right... Bubblenest builders do build
      bubblenest to spawn in yes.... but mouthbrooders never build bubblenest
      and spawn on flat surfaces like leaves, rocks, bottom of the tank or
      even , yes even inside caves... ive watched my betta pugnax, edithae and
      tomi all spawn inside a flower pot away from everyone else...

      John

      Visit us at www.groups.yahoo. com/group/ badis-dario

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

      Got a little couch potato?

    • NA NA
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
        Hi I'm just a lurker but I wanted to chime in hear, I have been able to incubate several mouth brooder eggs via artificial means the same way I have with some of my cichlids so it certainly can be done, I would be happy to explain the setup if anyone is interested.

        Thanks,
        Ray.

        To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
          I'd be interested. Thanks

          Harry

          To: anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 4, 2007
            Actually Ray if you could send pics that would help.

            I have 3 methods for articially brooding currently.

            harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:
            I'd be interested. Thanks

            Harry

            To: anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com