Labidochromis caeruleus

  • InTheNyte@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
      OK, I just have a question to throw out there.  I know most of the cichlids I have seen on here are South American, but I am hoping there are some African lovers out there as well.  I have had these spawn for me before, but unfortunately I lost the parents after I had got rid of all my fry.  I had a female that was more than ripe the past couple days, and a lonely juvenile that wasn't growing fast enough for her.  I decided to go out and buy a male to see if I could help relieve her of those eggs.  Within three hours, they are spawning like crazy.  I have actually seen different pairs of mine fighting for rights to use the slate that isn't even in their territory, but for some reason my Labidochromis caeruleus are not using the slates at all.  They are going down to the gravel under a ledge.  Does anyone know if this is normal for them?  There was someone post the same thing in another group I am in about a week ago.  His had no flat surfaces to spawn so I thought they just made do with what they could.  My question is, I always thought that most Africans use a slate or flat surface to lay, but do some prefer to not use a flat surface?  I know they have lost some of the eggs that fall in the gravel and get picked up for a tasty snack when the parents get chased off.  Just wondering why they might choose a spot that would result in less offspring.  Just thought I would try to get a topic going.

      Kevin

    • BigJohnW@Webtv.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
        Kevin

        Thats quite normal for africans.... they'll spawn where they can , when
        they can and try to keep other fish from interupting them. Good for
        you on the spawn.... I love lemons.... just bought a whole bunch of
        young ones to grow out and become my next spawning group.

        John
      • InTheNyte@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
          Yea, good for me on the spawn, but bad for space.  I now have 4 different African species (5 fish) with mouthfuls, and my grow out tank already has about 75 babies in it.

        • Jim Graham
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
            Well obviously you need more tanks!
            Jim Graham
            Hasting MI
            Thornapple River drainage

          • InTheNyte@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
              I have about 30 tanks in storage that I don't have room to set up.  Obviously, I need a bigger house!

            • Brett Kemker
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007

                I AM FEELING YOUR PAIN!

                Fwiw

                -BEK

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                  Basement.... thats what you need.... a nice big empty basement that you
                  can make your fish room out of....and Then set up those 30 empty tanks
                  to grow out those fry and sell them so you can buy some NEW fish and
                  breed!! Havent you seen those wonderful lists of cichlids that Mark
                  keeps putting out?? Fill up those 30 tanks!
                • InTheNyte@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Yea, I would love to have a basement to set up a fish room, but unfortunately my house does not have a basement and is less than 1000 square feet.  So unfortunately I will have to deal with the 10 tanks I have set up right now and wait for the rest until later.

                  • BigJohnW@Webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                      You must be from the south, up north here, basements are very common and
                      useful things to have under your house..... lol... Even if i lived down
                      south, id still build my house with a basement. laundry room, kids
                      den, family room, play room, all that stuff plus storage and fish rooms
                      go downstairs.....
                    • Brett Kemker
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007

                        HATTIESBURG MISSISSIPPI.  Not many basements…only silent desperation…

                        -BEK

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                          well I am from KY, and basements are normal around here, but unfortunately we are in a flood plain.  I would also build my house with a basement, but this was our starter house, so we took what we could.