RE: [anubiasdesign] tank size

  • VGRANDINETTI@NJTRANSIT.COM
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 8:01 AM
      I received a tank with the following dimensions:

      length = 36"
      depth = 18 1/2"
      Height = 18 1/2"

      How many gallons????    is it a 50 gal?   ...Ginny

      .

    • Wendie
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 8:45 AM
        Yes, it is.
        Wendie

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 8:58 AM
            Thanks Kevin & Wendie....

            Kevin where does the 7.48 come from?

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 9:02 AM
              Ginny,
              That's a 50 Breeder. It's the same base as a 40 breeder or a 65.
              Mark

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1 9:20 AM
                OK, I assume it's called a breeder because it's 18 1/2" front to back instead if 12".    why are "breeders" deeper. what purpose does this serve for what kind of fish?   (don't ya just hate these beginner questions.)

                That's a 50 Breeder. It's the same base as a 40 breeder or a 65.
                Mark

                --- In anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com, <VGRANDINETTI@ ...> wrote:

                > I received a tank with the
                following dimensions:

                > length = 36"
                > depth = 18
                1/2"
                > Height = 18 1/2"
                >
                > How many gallons???? is it a 50
                gal? ...Ginny

              • Gary Lange
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1 10:26 AM
                  A quick formula for any size tank or volume is (in inches) Length x width x height divided by 231.  231 is just the way the math turns out.  You'll see with these measurements that comes out to be 12,321 cubic inches.  Dividing by 231 = 53 gallons, so technically a little larger than 50 gallons but probably closer to the truth than those "55 gallon" tanks.  Someone who has one can do the measurements and figure it out, but I remember it being something like 51 or 52 gallons.  BTW to answer your second question a 75 gallon standard tank is highly preferred to a 55 gallon standard tank, not just because of the extra volume it holds but also the extra surface area.  Again figure out the surface area of the standard 55 gallon tank (length x width) to get a specific inches squared.  Then look at the 50 breeder.  (36 x 18.5 = 666 in sq).  It has a lot more surface area for the same amount of gallons.  More surface area = more air exchange = better for someone with a lot of fish in a tank, ie a breeder tank.  That's why those hex tanks, although they may look pretty hold a lot less fish safely.  A 30 hex probably has less surface area than even a standard 10 gallon tank.

                  Gary

                  VGRANDINETTI@... wrote:
                  I received a tank with the following dimensions:

                  length = 36"
                  depth = 18 1/2"
                  Height = 18 1/2"

                  How many gallons????    is it a 50 gal?   ...Ginny

                  .

                  Building a website is a piece of cake.

                • VGRANDINETTI@NJTRANSIT.COM
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1 12:00 PM
                    Thanks Gary....that explains the "breeder" term. And it helps me decide what I'm going to use the tank for...GG

                     BTW to answer your second question a 75 gallon standard tank is highly preferred to a 55 gallon standard tank, not just because of the extra volume it holds but also the extra surface area.  Again figure out the surface area of the standard 55 gallon tank (length x width) to get a specific inches squared.  Then look at the 50 breeder.  (36 x 18.5 = 666 in sq).  It has a lot more surface area for the same amount of gallons.  More surfac e area = more air exchange = better for someone with a lot of fish in a tank, ie a breeder tank.  That's why those hex tanks, although they may look pretty hold a lot less fish safely.  A 30 hex probably has less surface area than even a standard 10 gallon tank.

                    Gary

                    .

                  • Stuart Scott
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1 12:11 PM
                      Length X Width X Height(in inches) divided by 231= Gallons  To be more accurate use inside measurements.

                      Scotty

                      Mark wrote:

                      Ginny,
                      That's a 50 Breeder. It's the same base as a 40 breeder or a 65.
                      Mark

                      --- In anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com, <VGRANDINETTI@ ...> wrote:

                      > I received a tank with the following dimensions:
                      >
                      > length = 36"
                      > depth = 18 1/2"
                      > Height = 18 1/2"
                      >
                      > How many gallons???? is it a 50 gal? ...Ginny

                    • Richard Pierce
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 1 7:19 PM
                        Hi all,

                        231 is the number of cubic inches in a gallon.

                        Breeder tanks are also great for aquascaping as you have the extra width to play with.  You have more room for front to back transitions in plant height.

                        Rich Pierce