835Re: [Antonin Artaud] Re: "What is an Artaudian"?

  • harshunclear@aol.com
    Aug 2 9:21 AM
      The Deleuzo-Guattarian reading of Artaud is great, yes, but I feel that this focus on the body and the cruelty of organs ("what organ more cruel than the heart, etc") can only be comprehended in a truly schizophrenic experience.  The idea that through cosmic cruelty one will reveal some hidden reality is too surrealist, I think-- It might be too naive.

      To learn to see gesticulations as hieroglyphs, to feel the condition of the body in the way Artaud speaks, the lengths he goes to stress these, his schizophrenic mythologies and his poetics-- These can most likely only be understood through psychosis.

      "I would like to write a book that would drive men mad"--  How, then, to actually put this theater, with its language of cruelty, of gestures, where speech takes on the speech of dreams-- How can anyone really pull this off?

      Perhaps to be Artaudian is to realize that the Theatre of Cruelty is something that always surpasses our attempts at realizing it...

      What I say:  You cannot expect anyone to apply Artaudian ideas in theater that HAS NOT smelled burnt bomb, seen cruelty and felt body nausea: You have to see noses and limbs floating in space, see human beings in their daily movements as hieroglyphic imprints of a global nausea.

      The precise language of gestures and movements-- This can only be truly realized through Artaudian principles by those who can comprehend the intensity of merely walking across a room.

      - SP Conrad -