Yet another proposal

  • Michael Schmitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999

      yesterday I presented ANTLR to one of my friends who is also one of the
      major developers of KDE, the wonderful desktop environment for Linux.

      I tought I had convinced him that ANTLR is superior to YACC which is
      still widespread. But then he pointed out a little details that makes
      ANTLR unusable in a project like KDE in which a lot of people are
      involved: Whereas YACC produces "complete" code, the code generated by
      ANTLR requires some additional files. Of course, all needed files are
      included in the ANTLR distribution but ANTLR may not be accessible to
      all project members. This seems to be a minor problem but actually it
      stops him from using ANTLR.

      For that reason, I propose to provide an options that puts all necessary
      (C++) files in the target directory automatically.

      Kind regards,

      Michael

      Michael Schmitt phone: +49 451 500 3725
      Institute for Telematics secretary: +49 451 500 3721
      Medical University of Luebeck fax: +49 451 500 3722
      Ratzeburger Allee 160 eMail: schmitt@...-luebeck.de
      D-23538 Luebeck, Germany WWW: http://www.itm.mu-luebeck.de
    • parrt@xxxxx.xxxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
        Michael Schmitt writes:
        >From: Michael Schmitt <schmitt@...-luebeck.de>
        >
        >Hi,
        >
        >yesterday I presented ANTLR to one of my friends who is also one of the
        >major developers of KDE, the wonderful desktop environment for Linux.
        >
        >I tought I had convinced him that ANTLR is superior to YACC which is
        >still widespread. But then he pointed out a little details that makes
        >ANTLR unusable in a project like KDE in which a lot of people are
        >involved: Whereas YACC produces "complete" code, the code generated by
        >ANTLR requires some additional files. Of course, all needed files are
        >included in the ANTLR distribution but ANTLR may not be accessible to
        >all project members. This seems to be a minor problem but actually it
        >stops him from using ANTLR.
        >
        >For that reason, I propose to provide an options that puts all necessary
        >(C++) files in the target directory automatically.

        Has he not heard of a jar file? Either jar up all of the .class files
        or use the antlr.jar (that I usually have filled with all run .class).

        He probably won't use Java because the .class files are in the jdk
        directory not his ;)

        Pretty lame excuse. Introduce him to jar and *then* antlr. ;)

        Death to yacc! Love live ANTLR! :)

        Ter
      • parrt@xxxxx.xxxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
          schen@... writes:
          >From: <schen@...>
          >
          >Hi everyone,
          >
          >On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 parrt@... wrote:
          >
          >> Michael Schmitt writes:
          >> >
          >> >For that reason, I propose to provide an options that puts all necessary
          >> >(C++) files in the target directory automatically.
          >>
          >> Has he not heard of a jar file? Either jar up all of the .class files
          >> or use the antlr.jar (that I usually have filled with all run .class).
          >
          >Er, Ter, he's talking about C++ files here, not Java.

          Ooops...sigh...trying to scan antlr-interest files while working 14
          hours a day is not a good idea. :(

          >But speaking of Java, anyone know what are the MINIMAL set of classes
          >needed to run an Antlr-based parser? (with lexer and without
          >tree-walking). I've managed to get it down to a 215k jar but that's still
          >a lot to me.

          The mkjar file is pretty close I think. My antlr.jar is usually
          around 50k.

          See ya,
          Ter
        • schen@xxxxxxxxxx.xxxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
            Hi everyone,

            On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 parrt@... wrote:

            > Michael Schmitt writes:
            > >
            > >For that reason, I propose to provide an options that puts all necessary
            > >(C++) files in the target directory automatically.
            >
            > Has he not heard of a jar file? Either jar up all of the .class files
            > or use the antlr.jar (that I usually have filled with all run .class).

            Er, Ter, he's talking about C++ files here, not Java.

            But speaking of Java, anyone know what are the MINIMAL set of classes
            needed to run an Antlr-based parser? (with lexer and without
            tree-walking). I've managed to get it down to a 215k jar but that's still
            a lot to me.

            . . . Sean.
          • Dwight Lillie
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
              err...one thing about yacc though is that it has that left
              recursion/reduction thingy going for it.