Simple improvements for ANTLR

  • Michael Schmitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1999
      Dear ANTLR users and developers,

      please let me propose a few simple improvement for ANTLR 2.6.X:

      1. When you run a compiler within the (x)emacs environment it is
      possible to click on a warning in the compiler output window in order to
      directly jump to the corresponding line in the source code.
      Unfortunately, the format of ANTLR error messages and warnings does not
      comply to the format expected by emacs. It should be very simple to
      adapt it.

      2. In the document, it is recommended to use contruct
      "$setType(TOKEN.skip)" in an action in order to ignore white space
      tokens. Unfortunately, the doccumentation doesn't tell you that it is
      not allowed to use blanks inside the brackets of $setType. It took me
      more than an hour to find out what went wrong. I assume it would not be
      too difficult to make the "$setType" replacement a little bit more
      flexible.

      3. If a left recursion is detected, it would be nice to get the complete
      path, e.g. somethng like "a -> b -> c -> d -> a". In my example the left
      recursion involved about 10 rules with several alternatives which made
      it very different to find the cause.

      Kind regards,

      Michael