added "why use antlr" page

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
      Ok, here's a first cut. any suggestions?

      http://www.antlr.org/why.html

      Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
      Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!
      Co-founder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing
    • micheal_jor
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
        --- In antlr-interest@yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt@c...>
        wrote:
        > Ok, here's a first cut. any suggestions?
        >
        > http://www.antlr.org/why.html

        We could check to see if Ian would be interested in adding to his
        comments on ANTLR (I think his original comments should be preserved
        along with the dates and not just replaced). Perhaps on the ANTLR
        site too?

        I am keen to hear his current opinion about the utility of ANTLR tree
        construction with C++ (and any other language he uses).

        Can you can tell I'm still reading up on TreeParsers? ;-)

        Cheers,

        Micheal
      • David Benn
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
          Terence

          I like the page. Most of my initial compilers/interpreters (circa 1991)
          were of the hand-crafted recursive descent variety too, which I guess
          explains why ANTLR feels fairly natural to me (vs tools like lex+yacc).

          I would suggest adding a paragraph that emphasises a) the near
          homogeneity of lexer, parser, and tree walker notations, and b) the
          utility of AST generation and walking for, among other things,
          separating front ends (language grammars) from back-ends (code
          generation etc), and as a useful intermediate language for interpreters.

          I notice that support for Sather generation has gone away (according to
          this page). Just a lack of demand? I never used it so it doesn't bother
          me. Just curious. I've yet to make the transtion to 2.7.2.

          Thanks for a great tool BTW. I have used it for Masters thesis and
          industry work for about four years now.

          Rgds,

          DJB

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
            On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 05:34 PM, David Benn wrote:

            > Terence
            >
            > I like the page. Most of my initial compilers/interpreters (circa 1991)
            > were of the hand-crafted recursive descent variety too, which I guess
            > explains why ANTLR feels fairly natural to me (vs tools like lex+yacc).

            hooray for readable code!

            > I would suggest adding a paragraph that emphasises a) the near
            > homogeneity of lexer, parser, and tree walker notations,

            Ah good point.

            > and b) the
            > utility of AST generation and walking for, among other things,
            > separating front ends (language grammars) from back-ends (code
            > generation etc), and as a useful intermediate language for
            > interpreters.

            Thanks...

            > I notice that support for Sather generation has gone away (according to
            > this page). Just a lack of demand? I never used it so it doesn't bother
            > me. Just curious. I've yet to make the transtion to 2.7.2.

            The author didn't want to support any more and almost nobody used it ;)

            > Thanks for a great tool BTW. I have used it for Masters thesis and
            > industry work for about four years now.

            Cool. :) Perhaps you'd add a testimonial to the site? ;)

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
              > Cool. :) Perhaps you'd add a testimonial to the site? ;)

              I'll see what I can do + get permission for. :)

              Rgds,

              DJB