Re: [antlr-interest] Re: Questions about learning ANTLR

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 7, 2002
      On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 10:47 AM, mzukowski@... wrote:

      > I think you're right, it sounds like a mistake.

      This bit me just last night myself. Option is actually the "tokens
      {...}" option, right not literals {...}? ;)

      Ter

      --
      Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
      Lecturer in Comp. Sci., University of San Francisco
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 7, 2002
        RE: [antlr-interest] Re: Questions about learning ANTLR

        Ok, now the whole thing makes sense. There are two approaches to having literal strings in parser rules.

        1) put double quoted strings directly in parser rules
        2) create a tokens { } section with literal strings, and
           reference the tokens in parser rules

        Thanks for helping me to clarify this whole topic.

        Richard

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 7, 2002
          RE: [antlr-interest] Re: Questions about learning ANTLR

          A follow up question:

          Does it matter where the tokens section is placed?
          In otherwords, is there a significant functional difference between placing tokens for literals in the parser or in the lexer?

          Richard

        • mzukowski@yci.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 7, 2002
            RE: [antlr-interest] Re: Questions about learning ANTLR
            It doesn't really matter unless you split up your lexer and parser into separate .g files, as you might if you have one lexer that is used by several parsers.

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 8, 2002

              On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:38:09PM -0400, Hensley, Richard wrote:
              > Ok, now the whole thing makes sense. There are two approaches to having
              > literal strings in parser rules.
              >
              > 1) put double quoted strings directly in parser rules

              -> Error prone one typo and you have a new token..

              > 2) create a tokens { } section with literal strings, and
              > reference the tokens in parser rules

              -> More structural imho, newer antlr's generate warnings for tokens just
              defined outside the tokens section.

              Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn
              disinclination to do so. --- Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 8, 2002

                On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:43:32PM -0400, Hensley, Richard wrote:
                > Does it matter where the tokens section is placed?
                > In otherwords, is there a significant functional difference between
                > placing tokens for literals in the parser or in the lexer?

                Does not matter much, unless you split your antlr lexer/parser/treewalker
                hierarchy in separate files, then you have to be really structured with
                this and use the right import/exportVocab options in the right place.

                If this interests you look for a few detail posts off mine on
                import/exportVocab.

                "You know how to use that thing?" [pointing to the sword]
                "Sure.. The pointy end goes into the other guy."
                --- The Mask of Zorro
              • Brian Smith
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 8, 2002
                  It would be nice to have an (optional) framed version that had a outline
                  of the documention to the left. It would be nice also if the HTML pages
                  print properly, without lots of unnecessary whitespace or cutting off
                  the right-hand-side of any text.

                  - Brian