Re: [antlr-interest] Lexers hoist simple preds now

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi,

      Good to see you at work on antlr again :) (now hope that I get some time in
      the near future to do some of the last debugging sessions on the C++ part :( )

      On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 04:27:54PM -0700, Terence Parr wrote:
      > Haven't heard from anybody on my proposal, but I think it's a good idea
      > so I've implemented it. Works great for the "beginning of line issue."
      > Python-parsing lovers rejoice!
      >
      > You can gate rules in/out depending on semantic context now:
      >
      > A : {pred1}? 'a' ;
      >
      > Will only be tested upon pred1 by the lexer. In prior versions, it
      > would enter the rule and then fail (as a validating pred not
      > disambiguating pred).

      <cheers at Ter>

      > NOTE the really cool thing is that the C++ and C# output generators
      > will not have to be modified because the code generator is called after
      > I build the internal representation of nextToken rule. :) Woohoo!

      <another cheer at Ter>

      Some small questions:

      Does this do anything for parsers as well ? (too lazy to read the code ;) )
      I saw no patches in the documentation I trust these are still pending ;) ;) ;)

      Wo das Chaos auf die Ordnung trifft, gewinnt meist das Chaos, weil es
      besser organisiert ist. --- Friedrich Nietzsche
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
        On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 02:00 AM, Ric Klaren wrote:
        > Good to see you at work on antlr again :) (now hope that I get some
        > time in
        > the near future to do some of the last debugging sessions on the C++
        > part :( )

        Hooray!
        >> NOTE the really cool thing is that the C++ and C# output generators
        >> will not have to be modified because the code generator is called
        >> after
        >> I build the internal representation of nextToken rule. :) Woohoo!
        >
        > <another cheer at Ter>

        Thanks... I must say that the code is really disgusting viewing it
        again after quite an absence and with the perspective of having written
        a commercial program (jGuru server). Ick Ick Ick! Oh well, I was a
        prototype guy. With luck, future work will benefit from my newfound
        respect for real coding! ;)

        > Some small questions:
        >
        > Does this do anything for parsers as well ? (too lazy to read the code
        > ;) )
        > I saw no patches in the documentation I trust these are still pending
        > ;) ;) ;)

        Sure is...i'll update the doc. It doesn't affect parsers, only a
        lexer's nextToken--not even lexer rules that call other lexer rules.
        This is a prelude to the future ;)