Link error while making cpp distribution Calc sample

  • jm_lynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
      Help! I compiled and linked antlr.dll successfully but failed while
      linking the cpp sample calc. The VC++ V6.0 linker failed to resolve
      the antlr classes. For example:

      main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
      __thiscall
      antlr::CharScanner::~CharScanner(void)" (??
      1CharScanner@antlr@@UAE@XZ)

      Will someone out there willing to show me a trick or two to get me
      started on Antlr?
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001

        On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 09:49:37PM -0000, jm_lynn wrote:
        > Help! I compiled and linked antlr.dll successfully but failed while
        > linking the cpp sample calc. The VC++ V6.0 linker failed to resolve
        > the antlr classes. For example:
        >
        > main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
        > __thiscall
        > antlr::CharScanner::~CharScanner(void)" (??
        > 1CharScanner@antlr@@UAE@XZ)
        >
        > Will someone out there willing to show me a trick or two to get me
        > started on Antlr?

        Don't use a dll ? I toyed a bit around with MSVC6 and a dll build this
        weekend for the 2.7.2 release but I get the feeling MSVC6 is horribly
        broken, I hope that somewhere in the 2.7.2aX series someone more
        knowledgeable about MSVC6 can fix this.

        Back to your problem I had a report a while back that you needed to link
        the CharScanner.cpp into your project to get this to work.

        Time what is time - I wish I knew how to tell You why - It hurts to know -
        Aren't we machines - Time what is time - Unlock the door
        - And see the truth - Then time is time again
        From: 'Time what is Time' by Blind Guardian
      • jm_lynn@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
          Ric,

          Thanks for the info. I tried your approach and it work. Steve Siber had
          also sent me some more info on making the Antlr DLL that will link. I will
          try that later.

          As far as I can tell, Antler is great stuff and I had been dying to get a
          crack at it. By having the Calc working, I find it much easier to
          understand the architecture.

          TThanks!

          Jim

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001

            On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:15:52AM -0500, jm_lynn@... wrote:
            > Thanks for the info. I tried your approach and it work.

            Aha good to hear =)

            > Steve Siber had also sent me some more info on making the Antlr DLL
            > that will link. I will try that later.

            Could you forward me that info? I'm not really familiar with MSVC6 and the
            hoops you have to go through to make a dll. Currenlty the tree for 2.7.2
            does not link any more as DLL and I'd prefer to fix it before the 2.7.2
            prereleases go out the door =)

            > As far as I can tell, Antler is great stuff and I had been dying to get a
            > crack at it. By having the Calc working, I find it much easier to
            > understand the architecture.

            Yup calc is a good example to start with. There's also some class
            documentation available from my antlr page

            http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~klaren/antlr

            This is for the upcoming release so it's slightly different here and there.
            But it still should be a good help for getting an idea how the support
            library fits together.

            Wit is cultured insolence. --- Aristotle