DNS failure on Antlr.org and Magelang.com

  • David LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11 10:40 AM
      Can someone tell me the IP address for antlr.org? DNS lookup fails for me
      and friends on other ISPs.

      TIA

      Dave LeBlanc
    • mzukowski@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11 11:58 AM
        Pinging www.antlr.org [199.108.170.133] with 32 bytes of data:

      • David LeBlanc
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11 12:52 PM
          that IP points to a "Magelang Institute internal website" page.

        • mzukowski@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11 12:57 PM
            Interesting. I'm sorry I can't help you. You have been pointing your
            browser to www.antlr.org and not just antlr.org, right?

          • Doug Erickson
            Message 5 of 10 , May 11 1:09 PM
              199.108.170.133 seems to be the correct IP. The server is probably
              using some virtual hosting mechanism that serves different content
              depending on the host name you use. Make sure you're using
              http://www.antlr.org/ and if that doesn't work, complain to your ISP.
            • scott.case@xxxxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 10 , May 11 1:18 PM
                Try: http://199.108.170.133/antlr
                This takes you to a page stating that www.antlr.org has moved and then sends
                you to the new/current site.

                Scott

                David LeBlanc <whisper@...> on 05/11/99 03:52:19 PM

                Please respond to antlr-interest@onelist.com

                To: antlr-interest@onelist.com
                cc:
                Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] DNS failure on Antlr.org and Magelang.com

                From: David LeBlanc <whisper@...>

                Message 7 of 10 , May 13 11:14 AM
                  http://199.108.170.133/antlr does take you to an "antlr has moved"
                  forewarding page - which then has a DNS failure trying to find www.antlr.org.

                  I contacted my ISP's helpdesk, and they suggested that Antlr and Magelang's
                  authoritative DNS servers do not always seem to give out a correct DNS for
                  either of them. In particular, 199.108.170.133 is given out for antlr -
                  which takes you to a "Magelang Institute Internal Web" page.

                  My ISP, Verio, checked several of their own DNS servers and said it looked
                  like a 50-50 chance of getting a good dns lookup for magelang or antlr
                  (meaning that about half of their dns servers had a valid entry, about half
                  did not). He suggested that since there was a one day expiry on the dns
                  cache for those entries that it should resolve within a day or two. That
                  was on Monday, and Antlr and Magelang are still unreachable today on Thursday.

                  Since Verio is the 3rd largest ISP in the country, I would think it might
                  concern someone that antlr and magelang are potentially not getting found
                  by a lot of people.

                  I have visited antlr many times in the past, and it's quite disconcerting
                  to not be able to do so now. I wonder if you guys have changed your ISP
                  recently or in some other way changed how you serve web pages?

                  Sincerely,

                  Dave LeBlanc

                  >From: scott.case@...
                  >To: whisper@...
                  >Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:23:43 -0400
                  >Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] DNS failure on Antlr.org and Magelang.com
                  >

                  >Try: http://199.108.170.133/antlr
                  >This takes you to a page stating that www.antlr.org has moved and then sends
                  >you to the new/current site.
                  >
                  >I would have posted this to antlr-interest@onelist.com but my email bounces
                  >with a DNS failure...
                  >
                  >Scott
                  >

                  >David LeBlanc <whisper@...> on 05/11/99 03:52:19 PM
                  >
                  >Please respond to antlr-interest@onelist.com
                  >
                  >To: antlr-interest@onelist.com
                  >cc:
                  >Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] DNS failure on Antlr.org and Magelang.com
                  >

                  >From: David LeBlanc <whisper@...>
                  >
                  >that IP points to a "Magelang Institute internal website" page.
                  >
                  >At 11:58 AM 5/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
                  >>From: mzukowski@...
                  >>
                  >>Pinging www.antlr.org [199.108.170.133] with 32 bytes of data:

                • Mcree, Randy
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 13 11:21 AM
                    David,
                    Personally, I suspect that this *is* your ISP's problem. I have had no
                    problem getting to any of the IP addresses that you have listed, I either go
                    directly to the new site or I get redirected to the new site from the old
                    one. I have never received the "Magelang Institute Internal Web" page
                    message.

                    Randy

                    forewarding page - which then has a DNS failure trying to find
                    www.antlr.org.

                    I contacted my ISP's helpdesk, and they suggested that Antlr and Magelang's
                    authoritative DNS servers do not always seem to give out a correct DNS for
                    either of them. In particular, 199.108.170.133 is given out for antlr -
                    which takes you to a "Magelang Institute Internal Web" page.

                    My ISP, Verio, checked several of their own DNS servers and said it looked
                    like a 50-50 chance of getting a good dns lookup for magelang or antlr
                    (meaning that about half of their dns servers had a valid entry, about half
                    did not). He suggested that since there was a one day expiry on the dns
                    cache for those entries that it should resolve within a day or two. That
                    was on Monday, and Antlr and Magelang are still unreachable today on
                    Thursday.

                    Since Verio is the 3rd largest ISP in the country, I would think it might
                    concern someone that antlr and magelang are potentially not getting found
                    by a lot of people.

                    I have visited antlr many times in the past, and it's quite disconcerting
                    to not be able to do so now. I wonder if you guys have changed your ISP
                    recently or in some other way changed how you serve web pages?

                    Sincerely,

                    Dave LeBlanc

                    >From: scott.case@...
                    >To: whisper@...
                    >Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:23:43 -0400
                    >Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] DNS failure on Antlr.org and Magelang.com
                    >

                    >Try: http://199.108.170.133/antlr
                    >This takes you to a page stating that www.antlr.org has moved and then
                    sends
                    >you to the new/current site.
                    >
                    >I would have posted this to antlr-interest@onelist.com but my email bounces
                    >with a DNS failure...
                    >
                    >Scott
                    >

                    >David LeBlanc <whisper@...> on 05/11/99 03:52:19 PM
                    >
                    >Please respond to antlr-interest@onelist.com
                    >
                    >To: antlr-interest@onelist.com
                    >cc:
                    >Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] DNS failure on Antlr.org and Magelang.com
                    >

                    >From: David LeBlanc <whisper@...>
                    >
                    >that IP points to a "Magelang Institute internal website" page.
                    >
                    >At 11:58 AM 5/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
                    >>From: mzukowski@...
                    >>
                    >>Pinging www.antlr.org [199.108.170.133] with 32 bytes of data:

                    Got an opinion?
                    http://www.onelist.com
                    Make it count! Sign up for the ONElist Weekly Survey now.
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 13 11:22 AM
                      David LeBlanc hath spoken:
                      >From: David LeBlanc <whisper@...>
                      >
                      >http://199.108.170.133/antlr does take you to an "antlr has moved"
                      >forewarding page - which then has a DNS failure trying to find www.antlr.org.
                      >
                      >I contacted my ISP's helpdesk, and they suggested that Antlr and Magelang's
                      >authoritative DNS servers do not always seem to give out a correct DNS for
                      >either of them. In particular, 199.108.170.133 is given out for antlr -
                      >which takes you to a "Magelang Institute Internal Web" page.

                      I'm doing some name mapping...same IP gets you diff pages depending on DNS
                      symbol.

                      I reached www.antlr.org yesterday from Miami with no trouble.

                      >Since Verio is the 3rd largest ISP in the country, I would think it might
                      >concern someone that antlr and magelang are potentially not getting found
                      >by a lot of people.

                      It is a concern, but a problem that I cannot replicate; Seems like one
                      other person mentioned something or was that you?

                      >I have visited antlr many times in the past, and it's quite disconcerting
                      >to not be able to do so now. I wonder if you guys have changed your ISP
                      >recently or in some other way changed how you serve web pages?

                      We'll be moving to a real dns->unique IP system soon, but it's running as
                      we speak.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 13 11:23 AM
                        Doug Erickson hath spoken:
                        >From: Doug Erickson <Doug.Erickson@...>
                        >
                        >199.108.170.133 seems to be the correct IP. The server is probably
                        >using some virtual hosting mechanism that serves different content
                        >depending on the host name you use. Make sure you're using
                        >http://www.antlr.org/ and if that doesn't work, complain to your ISP.

                        Correct. virtual name hosting.