Re: Improvement for lexer in C++

  • Daniel Berlin
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10, 1999
      >I wouldn't have been able to do what I've done without this tool.
      >Having the
      >flexibility to target either C++ or Java is a very large benefit for my
      >team.
      >Not to mention I totally agree with what Daniel said about YACC. I
      >never really
      >got the hang of YACC, so if this tool hadn't been as easy to come up to
      >speed on
      >as it was, I would have ended up hand coding a limited solution... no
      >future in
      >that :)
      Ho ho, you used YACC long enough then.
      I'll let you in on a secret:
      There *is* no hang to YACC.
      It's great for making YACC manual examples (which all seem to be calculators
      or pascal subsets), but useless for most other *real* things.
      I have a theory that more time was spent making sure everything started with
      "yy" than anything else.
      It's like VB in that respect.
      It's great for what it does (making calculators, and avoiding having to have
      your friend at AT&T make the parse tables on poster size paper for you), but
      once you try to do something substantial, pain and death awaits you, or
      whoever has to maintain it after you commit suicide.

      Pardon the crappy quoting, for I use a crappy mailreader.
      :)
      --Dan