spoke to soon: gmane sucks. period.

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
      Ok, so have these people actually tried to use their site? I cannot
      get text to appear half the time. Some kind of weird cookie crap going
      on too so same url shows about 100 different views. IE doesn't seem to
      show the content. As somebody who spent 5 heinous years of his life
      building websites, I can tell you that this is just not that hard of a
      problem.

      Ugh. Ok, so

      http://groups.google.com/

      looks like it might actually work. At least we can trust their search
      facility. ;) Not sure about uploading old stuff. Ack. Doesn't look I
      can upload old email easily. :(

      The Mailman software requires apache but should work. Found a way to
      upload files... boy is it UGLY! Ugh. Well, perhaps I'll set up an
      interface to the mail through antlr.org's server by tunneling. Anyway,
      looks like it will work and I can then spider it. We should be good to
      go. New antlr.org box is being built as we speak. DNS should switch
      this weekend. I'll let you know when I can switch the mailing list.

      perforce repository will move this weekend as well

      Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
    • Joan Pujol
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
        > The Mailman software requires apache but should work. Found a way to
        > upload files... boy is it UGLY! Ugh. Well, perhaps I'll set up an
        > interface to the mail through antlr.org's server by tunneling. Anyway,
        > looks like it will work and I can then spider it. We should be good to
        > go. New antlr.org box is being built as we speak. DNS should switch
        > this weekend. I'll let you know when I can switch the mailing list.

        Only one suggestion. If you spider the mailing list please, please,
        please and 1000 time please ;) Put some antispam logic.

        A lot of thanks for your dedication ,

        --
        Joan Jesús Pujol Espinar
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
          On Dec 16, 2004, at 12:15 PM, Joan Pujol wrote:

          >> The Mailman software requires apache but should work. Found a way to
          >> upload files... boy is it UGLY! Ugh. Well, perhaps I'll set up an
          >> interface to the mail through antlr.org's server by tunneling.
          >> Anyway,
          >> looks like it will work and I can then spider it. We should be good
          >> go. New antlr.org box is being built as we speak. DNS should switch
          >> this weekend. I'll let you know when I can switch the mailing list.
          >
          > Only one suggestion. If you spider the mailing list please, please,
          > please and 1000 time please ;) Put some antispam logic.

          You mean to not show email addresses? Mailman shows

          so that the link goes to the list not the person identified. The list
          will be "initial post moderated" or whatever to prevent spam.

          Mailman is now up on my antlr.org and I will switch DNS when I get
          everything going.

          Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
        • Bryan Ewbank
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
            The search may "work", but it's frustrating to look at a few score
            mails at a time, then request yahoo to search earlier emails as well.
            There doesn't seem to be any way to search the whole archive at once -
            have to use next/next/next.../next.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
              On Dec 16, 2004, at 2:58 PM, Bryan Ewbank wrote:

              > The search may "work", but it's frustrating to look at a few score
              > mails at a time, then request yahoo to search earlier emails as well.
              > There doesn't seem to be any way to search the whole archive at once -
              > have to use next/next/next.../next.

              I will have all the archives up in mailmain shortly so we should in
              better shape...

              Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
            • firstn_lastname
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 20, 2004
                > I will have all the archives up in mailmain shortly so we should in
                > better shape...

                1) Hi, please can someone tell me - how gmane and yahoo-groups
                are working together ?
                I quite don't understand that, because gmane clearly
                is not able to feed itself with yahoo-groups.

                2) If I post to that antlr-interest@yahoogroups.com, will it arive
                into gmane ?
                You all seem to post to some <<antlr-interest-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw
                at public dot gmane dot org>>, but this address is not mentioned
                anywhere ( on antlr site ). Or does yahoo .forward those messages
                to gmane ?? Please can you tell me ?

                3) You do not need to spider gmane ( gmane has export ),
                If you just wanna TRY it - go with 2190/2199.
                http://download.gmane.org/gmane.comp.parsers.antlr-interest/1/2199
                it's not tgz, its long plain mbox.

                4) but you need to spider yahoo ( I don't know currently hope I'm
                wrong ).
                But gmane seem to have lot less messages then yahoo.
                You seem to switch somewhen at Jun-2004 ??

                5) like to know, what are you going to do switch at now ?
                to that groups-beta.google.com
                I don't say google is bad ( didn't try it ), I just like to know.

                Cheers, Suk
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 20, 2004
                  On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:30:03 -0000, firstn_lastname <suk6@...> wrote:
                  > 1) Hi, please can someone tell me - how gmane and yahoo-groups
                  > are working together ?
                  > I quite don't understand that, because gmane clearly
                  > is not able to feed itself with yahoo-groups.

                  I think they have a forwarding account subscribed or something
                  similar. It should be listed on their site I guess.

                  > 2) If I post to that antlr-interest@yahoogroups.com, will it arive
                  > into gmane ?

                  Yes. Unless you add some specific headers to your message. See the faq
                  on gmane.org.

                  > You all seem to post to some <<antlr-interest-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw
                  > at public dot gmane dot org>>, but this address is not mentioned
                  > anywhere ( on antlr site ). Or does yahoo .forward those messages
                  > to gmane ?? Please can you tell me ?

                  Some may do that some may not. Gmane uses some obfuscation for email
                  addresses. The yahoogroups address is the official one. The gmane one
                  also works I guess.

                  > 4) but you need to spider yahoo ( I don't know currently hope I'm
                  > wrong ).
                  > But gmane seem to have lot less messages then yahoo.
                  > You seem to switch somewhen at Jun-2004 ??

                  Gmane was enabled much later than the yahoogroups thing was started.
                  You can't spider yahoogroups very well they got some protection
                  against it (is my impression I tried).

                  > 5) like to know, what are you going to do switch at now ?
                  > to that groups-beta.google.com
                  > I don't say google is bad ( didn't try it ), I just like to know.

                  I think Ter set up a mailinglist on antlr.org. Yai! So now we can now
                  also UTFS ;)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 20, 2004
                    On Dec 20, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Ric Klaren wrote:
                    >> 5) like to know, what are you going to do switch at now ?
                    >> to that groups-beta.google.com
                    >> I don't say google is bad ( didn't try it ), I just like to know.
                    >
                    > I think Ter set up a mailinglist on antlr.org. Yai! So now we can now
                    > also UTFS ;)

                    It's ALMOST ready; just about got the admin pages tunneled properly
                    thru the www.antlr.org site. By the end of the day I hope. Then I
                    spider it and search lives!

                    So we should just turn off the antlr-interest@yahoo thing, leaving a
                    note redirecting?