Compiling with 2.7.4; running with 2.7.2

  • Paul J. Lucas
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
      I'm wondering if it's possible to compile ANTLR grammars using
      2.7.4 yet use the 2.7.2 run-time. Apparently, 2.7.2 doesn't
      support specifying a base class for lexers, i.e.:

      class MyLexer extends Lexer( "MyBaseLexer" );

      The release notes are fairly jumbled, so it's not clear from
      reading them.

      (I may need to do this because various parts of our software are
      still using 2.7.2 and they're afraid to upgrade.... Sigh...)

      - Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
        On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:43:19 -0800 (PST), Paul J. Lucas
        <pauljlucas@...> wrote:
        > I'm wondering if it's possible to compile ANTLR grammars using
        > 2.7.4 yet use the 2.7.2 run-time. Apparently, 2.7.2 doesn't
        > support specifying a base class for lexers, i.e.:
        >
        > class MyLexer extends Lexer( "MyBaseLexer" );
        >
        > The release notes are fairly jumbled, so it's not clear from
        > reading them.
        >
        > (I may need to do this because various parts of our software are
        > still using 2.7.2 and they're afraid to upgrade.... Sigh...)

        I guess that if a 2.7.4 generated version runs/compiles with the 2.7.2
        runtime that you'll be ok. Unless there's changes that concern the
        ASTfactory interface or something similar. Of the top of my head the
        2.7.2 and 2.7.4 releases both use the same ASTFactory interface.

      • micheal_jor
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
          --- In antlr-interest@yahoogroups.com, "Paul J. Lucas"
          <pauljlucas@m...> wrote:

          > I'm wondering if it's possible to compile ANTLR grammars using
          > 2.7.4 yet use the 2.7.2 run-time.

          This isn't possible if you are using ANTLR/C#. There have been
          breaking changes since 2.7.2 was released.

          > (I may need to do this because various parts of our software are
          > still using 2.7.2 and they're afraid to upgrade.... Sigh...)

          Our ANTLR version upgrades have been generally fairly uneventful...a
          few minutes work usually depending on the size of the project.

          Micheal
        • Paul J. Lucas
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
            On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, micheal_jor wrote:

            > --- In antlr-interest@yahoogroups.com, "Paul J. Lucas"
            > <pauljlucas@m...> wrote:
            >
            > > I'm wondering if it's possible to compile ANTLR grammars using
            > > 2.7.4 yet use the 2.7.2 run-time.
            >
            > This isn't possible if you are using ANTLR/C#. There have been
            > breaking changes since 2.7.2 was released.

            OK, I should have mentioned that I'm doing Java (but only
            because they pay me! *ducks*).

            - Paul
          • lgcraymer
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
              <pauljlucas@m...> wrote:
              > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, micheal_jor wrote:
              >
              > > --- In antlr-interest@yahoogroups.com, "Paul J. Lucas"
              > > <pauljlucas@m...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I'm wondering if it's possible to compile ANTLR grammars using
              > > > 2.7.4 yet use the 2.7.2 run-time.
              > >
              > > This isn't possible if you are using ANTLR/C#. There have been
              > > breaking changes since 2.7.2 was released.
              >
              > OK, I should have mentioned that I'm doing Java (but only
              > because they pay me! *ducks*).

              BEA pays in ducks? I had always thought that electronic
              (automatically deposited) greenbacks were the norm in the industry.
              Very strange.

              --Loring

              > - Paul
            • Torkild Ulvøy Resheim
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2005
                On Friday 10 December 2004 07:38, lgcraymer wrote:
                [snip]

                > BEA pays in ducks? I had always thought that electronic
                > (automatically deposited) greenbacks were the norm in the industry.
                > Very strange.
                >
                > --Loring
                I've was thinking the same until I remembered my mud'ing days. Whenever there
                wasn't a programmed "emote" we surrounded the text in stars to simulate one.
                *smiles*
                --
                Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards ((
                Torkild Ulvøy Resheim, Senior Systemutvikler / Software Engineer ))