ANTLR 3.0 news

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      Ah...The joys of summer "vacation".

      Yesterday at 3:00 CA time, the core ANTLR 3.0 grammar analysis engine
      "achieved consciousness". :) It performed it's first real full parse
      using the new LL(*) arbitrary lookahead parsing/lookahead scheme (and
      used unicode characters). The parse was done using an interpreted
      version. You can say:

      Grammar g = new Grammar("a grammar description");
      g.parse(start rule name, an input stream);

      It may or may not be useful as a feature after release, but it proves
      the LL(*) concept at the moment and lets me construct basic char /
      token stream requirements.

      I have launched ANTLR code-generator background threads in my head
      while I take care of some other business. I'm dying to explore using
      StringTemplate for code generation :)

      Don't forget folks that this is the hard part, but the small part of a
      parser generator. There is a huge amount of thought that needs to go
      into the stuff surrounding the engine, just like in a car. I imagine
      that the antlr runtime specifications for tokens, trees, templates,
      etc... will take a lot of time as will a manual/book etc... This
      announcement does not mean a 3.0 version is imminent. I hope to have a
      trivial version of 3.0 working with a few features by the ANTLR
      workshop.

      Terence
      PS The hoisting of semantic predicates algorithm in written down in my
      "lab notebook" and is a simple extension to LL(*). I'll crank that out
      real quick before doing code gen I think.
      Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
      Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing
    • Monty Zukowski
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        Very cool!

        Keep on truckin'

        Monty

        On Jun 1, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Terence Parr wrote:

        > Ah...The joys of summer "vacation".
        >
        > Yesterday at 3:00 CA time, the core ANTLR 3.0 grammar analysis engine
        > "achieved consciousness". :) It performed it's first real full parse
        > using the new LL(*) arbitrary lookahead parsing/lookahead scheme (and
        > used unicode characters). The parse was done using an interpreted
        > version. You can say:
        >
        > Grammar g = new Grammar("a grammar description");
        > g.parse(start rule name, an input stream);
        >
        > It may or may not be useful as a feature after release, but it proves
        > the LL(*) concept at the moment and lets me construct basic char /
        > token stream requirements.
        >
        > I have launched ANTLR code-generator background threads in my head
        > while I take care of some other business. I'm dying to explore using
        > StringTemplate for code generation :)
        >
        > Don't forget folks that this is the hard part, but the small part of a
        > parser generator. There is a huge amount of thought that needs to go
        > into the stuff surrounding the engine, just like in a car. I imagine
        > that the antlr runtime specifications for tokens, trees, templates,
        > etc... will take a lot of time as will a manual/book etc... This
        > announcement does not mean a 3.0 version is imminent. I hope to have a
        > trivial version of 3.0 working with a few features by the ANTLR
        > workshop.
        >
        > Terence
        > PS The hoisting of semantic predicates algorithm in written down in my
        > "lab notebook" and is a simple extension to LL(*). I'll crank that out
        > real quick before doing code gen I think.
        > --
        > Professor Comp. Sci., University of San Francisco
        > Creator, ANTLR Parser Generator, http://www.antlr.org
        > Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
        > Cofounder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!
        > Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing