StringTemplate question

  • llza2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004

      It seems it is not possible to nest anonymous templates in the
      StringTemplate library, e.g.

      $A:{$attr:{$attr.B$}$}$

      Is this in fact true? If so, is there a conceptual reason why this is
      not supported? It seems reasonably straightforward to implement and I
      thought I should check before I rush off and implement something that
      is already supported or, even worse, not conceptually sound.

      :-)

      Luis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        On Thursday, January 1, 2004, at 01:10 PM, llza2003 wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > It seems it is not possible to nest anonymous templates in the
        > StringTemplate library, e.g.
        >
        > $A:{$attr:{$attr.B$}$}$

        Howdy :) Hmm...Yeah, I think somebody else found this too...yep, found
        this in my bugs list:

        * Matthew Ford: Support nested anon templates or return better error.

        Sorry about that...no conceptual reason, just a very bad scanner (which
        I do by hand since the delimiters are unrestricted). Actually, it
        might be in the stringtemplate action lexer itself not the thing that
        chunk up the template.

        Sure, send in a patch if you want :) Matthew will thank you too...

        Thanks for your interest...

        Ter

        > Is this in fact true? If so, is there a conceptual reason why this is
        > not supported? It seems reasonably straightforward to implement and I
        > thought I should check before I rush off and implement something that
        > is already supported or, even worse, not conceptually sound.
        >
        > :-)
        >
        > Luis
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
        Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!
        Co-founder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing
      • llza2003
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004

          I have to admit my interest isn't purely altruistic. I really would
          like to be able to nest anonymous templates. I just figured it would
          be unfair to ask someone to implement my requirement without at least
          giving it a bash myself. ;)

          I have a patch available which I'd be happy to email to anybody who's
          interested. It's for the C# port only unfortunately. I haven't had
          time to apply it to the Java version. It isn't a big change so it
          should be easy to port from C# to Java. Specifically:

          1. Changed lexer in action.g to recognize nested anonymous templates
          2. Changed lexer in action.g to recognize \r as whitespace
          3. Changed scarfing in parseAttributeExpressionChunk in
          StringTemplate.cs to recognize nested anonymous templates

          The code isn't the prettiest, but it seems to work more or less.
          Caveat Emptor. :)

          Luis
          --- In antlr-interest@yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt@c...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
            Great! Thanks...i'll poke around a bit and see if I can't change the
            "master". After Matthew Ford's recommendations, I've got lots of fixes
            for a new release that make it much easier to override behavior and
            such.

            Ter

            Co-founder, http://www.peerscope.com link sharing, pure-n-simple
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2004
              Hi Luis,

              I have also made these changes in the Java version and added tests for
              char escaping...fixed some stuff concerning that.

              Terence

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004

                Yeah. I also fixed some char escaping stuff. :)

                Is anybody officially maintaining the C# port?
                If not, I'll see if I can incorporate your fixes
                for the new release into the C# port.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
                  On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 08:01 AM, llza2003 wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Yeah. I also fixed some char escaping stuff. :)
                  >
                  > Is anybody officially maintaining the C# port?

                  You might contact the author; i don't think i have the email address.

                  Ter