Working recipe to build antlr in Cygwin environment

  • Ashish Aggarwal
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2003
      Hi frends,
         As every new user do face problems in building antlr on windows, using cygwin/java/gcc, I (on behalf of our company, atrenta) , would like to share with you all this working recipe on "How To Build Antlr On Cygwin".

      If any one of you have any suggestion for modifications in it, do let me know.
      Else, I would like the owner of this group , Terence, to kindly put the same on the website www.antlr.org

      Cheers
      Ashish

      Here is the working recipe, repeated until it works exactly from a clean install every time with no redo
      Environment:
      Windows 2000:

      cygwin:
      1.5.5.1
       which has problems with gcc and cpp (and configure fails with)
      mingw :
      MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe
      (do not forget to rename make.exe to mingw32-make.exe, as it cannot cope with the ANTLR Makefile!, but the cygwin one can)

      path in cygwin to use mingw first
      PATH="/mingw/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"

      java SDK:
      j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-windows.exe

      antlr:
      antlr-2.7.2.tar.gz

      1.Untar anltr into a new directory under cygwin <basedir>
      {mine is C:\cygwin\redo\antlr-2.7.2, under cycgwin its /redo/antlr-2.7.2}
      Do NOT add antlr.jar  to your $CLASSPATH environment, as it is not a valid file yet.

      2. Note that <basedir>/configure contains an error at
      # Java

      CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:.
       just comment it out, as we set the . in the external CLASSPATH
      #CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:.

      3. set up class path for configure
       note the . in the path
              the ; path seperator
              the windows file format.
            These are because Java j2sdk is a windows application, not a cygwin application
      export CLASSPATH=".;c:\cygwin\j2sdk1.4.2\lib"

      $ echo $CLASSPATH
      .;c:\cygwin\j2sdk1.4.2\lib

      3. cd <basedir>
         run configure as
      ./configure --prefix=<basedir>
      with base dir in windows format

      $ ./configure --prefix=/redo/antlr-2.7.2
      configure: creating ./config.stat
      cconfigure: creating ./config.status
      config.status: creating scripts/Config.make
      config.status: creating scripts/antlr-config
      config.status: creating scripts/run-antlr
      $

      4. cd scripts & edit the Config.make just created to put the correct class path in
      # Programs we might use and their options...
      # next line commented
      #ANTLR    = $(JAVA) -cp $(TOPDIR)/antlrall.jar antlr.Tool
      ANTLR    = $(JAVA) -cp "C:\cygwin\redo\antlr-2.7.2" antlr.Tool

      5. clear $CLASSPATH (not set it to blank, that does NOT work)
      unset CLASSPATH

      6. build with NO Classpath
      make

      $ make
      =============================
      Making dependencies...
      =============================
      make[1]: Entering directory `/redo/antlr-2.7.2/antlr'
      Making antlr.jar...
      Making antlr.debug.jar...
      Building antlr/ANTLRTokdefLexer.java
      Building antlr/ANTLRTokdefParser.java
      Note: antlr/ANTLRTokdefParser.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
      Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
      Building antlr/actions/cpp/ActionLexer.java
      Building antlr/actions/java/ActionLexer.java
      Building antlr/preprocessor/Preprocessor.java
      Note: antlr/preprocessor/Preprocessor.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
      Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
      Building antlr/preprocessor/PreprocessorLexer.java
      Making antlrall.jar...

      7. Make install with NO Classpath
      make install

      $ make install
      Installing jar files into /redo/antlr-2.7.2/share/antlr-2.7.2
      Installing config.hpp into /redo/antlr-2.7.2/include/antlr
      make[3]: Leaving directory `/redo/antlr-2.7.2/lib/cpp/antlr'
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/redo/antlr-2.7.2/lib/cpp'
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/redo/antlr-2.7.2/lib'

      8. check in antlr-2.7.2/lib for libantlr.a

      9. set up class path to run
      $ export CLASSPATH=".;c\cygwin\j2sdk1.4.2\lib;C:\cygwin\redo\antlr-2.7.2\antlrall.jar"

      10. create test directory
      $ mkdir grammars
      $ cp examples/cpp/*/*.g grammars
      $ cd grammars

      11. test
      $antlr calc.g

      Check for the hpp & cpp files in grammars

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2003
        Hi Ashish, looks great! Do you want to upload to antlr.org under
        articles? Just hit the "add article" button. :)

        Also, I can upload a PC binary of ANTLR if you want to the download
        page. :) Just email it to me.

        Terence

        Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
        Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!
        Co-founder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing
      • Ashish Aggarwal
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
          Hi terence,
            I tried to "add article" titled "Working recipe to build Antlr on Cygwin". But, i failed to upload the corresponding html page corres. to it.
          Please let me know how to do it. Else, if possible, you upload the attached HTML page there.

          I hope this will really help a lot of antlr-users to get rid of installation problems.

          Best Regards
          Ashish

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
            I have fixed the website so your recipe is hosted properly :)

            Terence