14602Re: [antlr-interest] Re: Heavy Performance degradation on linux

    Dec 16, 2004
      On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:05:09 -0000, rmsanjiv <rmsanjiv@...> wrote:
      > Statically linked library runs pretty fast similar to shared library
      > on solaris. I wonder why this issue is specific to only shared library
      > on linux. Any clue?

      First there's the issue that for -fPIC usually a number of
      restrictions are put on the generated code to make it relocatable. For
      some architectures this is good, for some others it is bad. It could
      also be due to some custom patches on the kernel you use (SELinux
      maybe?) I'm personally not aware that these give a slowdown but I
      could suspect it.

      Without any more information on the compiler you use or the kernel I
      cannot say anything.