1441Re: importVocab and output directories

  • Jan Mikkelsen
    Mar 1, 2000
      >I'd like to adopt a somehow reverted viewpoint:
      > In the world of programming environments, we are used to a kind of
      working,
      > where a file ``knows'', what it is dependent of. E.g. a C source
      ``knows'',
      > which header files it relies upon, a Java source ``knows'', what other
      > class-files it is dependent of, ...
      [ proposal to implement dependency generation for antlr snipped ]

      I think these issues are related, but different.

      A C source file knows that it depends on an include file, for example
      "#include <stdio.h>". It doesn't know where stdio.h lives, and nor should
      it. It might live in a different place different machines, and that kind of
      dependency shouldn't be reflected in the source code.

      For something like "cc -M" to work, cc also needs to know where to go
      looking for include files if they aren't all in the same directory. Without
      that information, it can't generate a list of dependencies. Not to mention
      not being able to compile the code.

      importVocab says bring in the vocabulary with this name. At the moment,
      antlr assumes that it must be in the current directory. I'd really like to
      be able to tell antlr to look somewhere else.

      I can also see the value of a -M option for antlr to generate dependencies,
      but it is less critical. I have autogeneration of dependencies for C/C++,
      and depend on it. But I have 2-3 orders of magnitude more C++ files than
      antlr files, so maintaining antlr dependencies by hand is a little less
      onerous.

      Jan Mikkelsen
      janm@...
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic