  • wy7z@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2001
      Can anyone tell me anything about this wood cabinet table radio or the
      maker?

      It's a 4 tube (01A's) battery operated broadcast receiver with 9 - yes, 9
      - controls on the black front panel for 3 condensers, a variometer, and 4
      rheostats. It has 4 phone jacks on the right side; one is not connected,
      the others connect to the detector and first and second audio stages.
      Binding posts for aerial, ground and 6 battery connections (most labeled
      B+) line the left side. Unfortunately it shows signs of having been
      modified or parts pirated and replaced, and wires are loose so I haven't
      yet figured out the circuit. It appears to date to about 1922-1925.

      A label shows that it was made by Miller Radio and Electric Works, 4103
      8th Ave. South, Seattle, WA. I've looked thru Seattle telephone books
      from 1920 to 1930 and a few other sources without result. . The building
      now at that address looks newer than 1920's but I inquired anyway - the
      employees and manager gave me the "who is this old fool?" look.

      I've been in the Seattle area since 1972 so the history of this radio
      and the maker is of interest to me. Thanks for any help,

      Pete Petersen