Antiprism 0.20 Released

  • Adrian Rossiter
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 13, 2012
      Hi All

      Antiprism 0.20 polyhedron modelling software has been
      released

      http://www.antiprism.com/download

      This release includes new programs, new features and many
      changes to existing programs. A detailed summary of changes
      is included below.

      New features include: a large collection of resource models,
      accessible by name; symmetry operations for several programs;
      the Antiprism C++ library is installed with headers and
      documention and may be developed against (this is work in
      progress); a self-extracting installer is provided for the
      Windows binary package.

      The examples section of the website has been expanded to
      provide help for new features

      http://www.antiprism.com/examples

      Credit for the release also goes to Roger Kaufman.

      Please report bugs or anything not working as documented.

      Adrian.
      --
      Adrian Rossiter
      adrian@...

      NEWS for Antiprism: http://www.antiprism.com
      Version 0.20
      13-02-12 Adrian Rossiter <adrian@...>
      New Programs
      lat_util: new program for lattice utilities (by Roger
      Kaufman)
      col_util: new program for colour utilities, plots, blend
      (by Roger Kaufman)
      planar: new program for blending colours of overlapping
      coplanar polgons (by Roger Kaufman)
      Changes
      poly_kscope: new options, -c colours a compound by part,
      -s use symmetries of another polyhedron, subgroup support,
      -Q report
      off_report: new options, -S s symmetry -C h hts, -C O orbits
      off_query: new query EC for edge centroids
      off_trans: new options -Y, -y symmetry alignment,
      rotate a pair of vectors onto another moved from -A to -R
      off_align: considerable option changes, -Ff select alignment
      from list, -y repeat brick symmetrically
      off_util: new optionis: -H for general help; -u to unfold a
      polyhedron net; -x V deletes free vertices; -D deletes
      elements; -A adds elements; -g strips colours and digons;
      -t new triangulations.
      off_color: options -m -M -c combined as option -m. Lower
      case colourings always set index, upper case colourings
      always apply colour map. Default colour map is 'rand'.
      New options -vef sS to colour elements by symmetry orbit,
      -f aA to colour by average internal angle,
      -f kK to colour sets of faces connected by face sides,
      -e Kk to colour sets of edges connected by edges,
      -vef M to convert colour indexes to values using map
      -U select elements to colour by colour type
      -I to convert colour values to indexes
      unipoly,johnson: programs removed, models are in resources
      see 'off_util -H uniform' and 'off_util -H johnson'
      polygon: many new models added, antiprism alignment changed
      geodesic: option reorganisation, remove base models
      bravais: option -R also fills and overlays with cubes
      iso_delta: new colouring options
      n_icons: fractional polygon models, colouring option
      changes
      pol_recip: default centre is centroid, new option -a
      appends dual to original geometry
      antiview,off2vrml,off2pov: new option -s to display
      symmetry elements, -I infinity distance default 1000
      -t triangulation options
      off2m: new option -x to exclude elements, -X removed
      minmax: new ellipsoid and superellipsoid surfaces, default
      algorithm is v
      poly_weave: use general weave patterns
      Resources: new colour map files and generatable maps,
      uniform and Johnson model files removed and are now
      internal unit-edged and coloured, new uniform
      compounds (by Roger Kaufman), uniform duals,
      general duals (appending _d), geodesic spheres,
      symmetry models
      Documentation: document library, add man pages,
      All: --help and --version options. New shift, step,
      and wrap modifiers for reindexing colour maps

      Fixes
      lat_grid: origin is the default centre for -c s
    • swdharmraj
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
        --- In antiprism@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Rossiter <adrian@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        >
        > Antiprism 0.20 polyhedron modelling software has been
        > released
        >
        > http://www.antiprism.com/download

        Hi Adrian:
        On my netbook with windows 7 when running antiview -h to
        check on program I get

        "the program can't start because OpenGLUT.dll is missing from your
        computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

        Antiprism 19.2 did run on this netbook.

        Will try this latest version on my notebook and Vista soon.

        dharmraj
      • Roger Kaufman
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
          Hi dharmraj,

          > "the program can't start because OpenGLUT.dll is missing from your
          > computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
          >
          > Antiprism 19.2 did run on this netbook.

          Do you have Cygwin installed? I have the opengl package installed to build, but I don't know if this helps at run time.

          Adrian,

          What are the prerequisites for running Antiprism in the dos box? I was going to offer an OpenGLUT.dll file but I can't find it. I did find an old glug32.dll (dated 2002!) in my path and I don't know if it should be there any more so I renamed it for now. This may have been from back in mingw days.

          Roger
        • Adrian Rossiter
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
            Hi dharmraj and Roger

            On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Roger Kaufman wrote:
            >> "the program can't start because OpenGLUT.dll is missing from your
            >> computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
            >>
            >> Antiprism 19.2 did run on this netbook.
            > What are the prerequisites for running Antiprism in the dos box? I was

            The only prerequisites are for opengl.dll (for antiview), which
            should be available as part of the system.

            The OpenGLUT.dll file is included in the Antiprism Windows
            installer. I have just tried an install on Win 7 and this
            file was installed along with the binaries. I ran a test
            command from the directory where I installed the programs
            and Antiview ran fine.

            Can you run the programs from the install directory?

            From the directory where you were before, try

            off_util --version

            Does it report the final Antiprism 0.20 (not followed by .pre
            or .rc1?

            Adrian.
            --
            Adrian Rossiter
            adrian@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
              Hi Adrian,

              > The OpenGLUT.dll file is included in the Antiprism Windows
              > installer. I have just tried an install on Win 7 and this
              > file was installed along with the binaries. I ran a test
              > command from the directory where I installed the programs
              > and Antiview ran fine.

              I have an old laptop which isn't very powerful so I don't use it to develop. It has never had Antiprism. It has Windows XP.

              I installed Antiprism using the installer. OpenGLUT.dll does not seem to be part of the install. If it is, where does it put it? I ran a find, but it could have missed it.

              I had to add antiprism to my path. This is done under the system icon in the control panel, via the environment variables. While I was there I added the data environment variable as stated in the doc/readme.

              The version is correct but antiview cannot run without the dll. I am not sure how to attain the correct version. Is there a central source for this?

              Roger
            • Adrian Rossiter
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                Hi Roger and dharmraj

                On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Roger Kaufman wrote:
                >[Adrian:]
                >> The OpenGLUT.dll file is included in the Antiprism Windows
                >> installer. I have just tried an install on Win 7 and this
                >> file was installed along with the binaries. I ran a test
                >> command from the directory where I installed the programs
                >> and Antiview ran fine.
                >
                > I have an old laptop which isn't very powerful so I don't use it to
                > develop. It has never had Antiprism. It has Windows XP.
                >
                > I installed Antiprism using the installer. OpenGLUT.dll does not seem to
                > be part of the install. If it is, where does it put it? I ran a find,
                > but it could have missed it.

                Argh! It isn't really present in the installer!

                It hasn't been present since I switched to building the installer
                on Ubuntu. I was always just using a copy of the library from a

                I have rebuilt the installer and re-uploaded it with the same
                name as before, but with a note on the Download page and on the
                Sourceforge README about the earlier missing library and saying
                to download the installer again and reinstall.

                dharmraj, if you have an old OpenGLUT.dll file around you could
                try just copying that into the same directory as the binaries,
                otherwise, download the installer again and re-intstall.

                Thanks for reporting the problem!

                Adrian.
                --
                Adrian Rossiter
                adrian@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                  Hi Adrian,

                  > I have rebuilt the installer and re-uploaded it with the same
                  > name as before, but with a note on the Download page and on the
                  > Sourceforge README about the earlier missing library and saying
                  > to download the installer again and reinstall.

                  I tried the new download but it antiview still says it is missing. The install exe was the same size. Did I get it before you completed uploading it?

                  Roger
                • Adrian Rossiter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                    Hi Roger

                    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Roger Kaufman wrote:
                    >> I have rebuilt the installer and re-uploaded it with the same
                    >> name as before, but with a note on the Download page and on the
                    >> Sourceforge README about the earlier missing library and saying
                    >> to download the installer again and reinstall.
                    >
                    > I tried the new download but it antiview still says it is missing. The
                    > install exe was the same size. Did I get it before you completed
                    > uploading it?

                    The files are different sizes. It is possible that the mirror
                    you were using hadn't updated yet.

                    For my test I downloaded the installer from Sourceforge, installed
                    to a fresh directory, checked antiview was working, deleted the
                    library file, checked antiview wasn't working, then reinstalled
                    and checked antiview was working again.

                    It would be good to get some confirmation that the installer is
                    working for someone else though!

                    Adrian.
                    --
                    Adrian Rossiter
                    adrian@...
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                      Hi Adrian and Dharmraj,

                      > It would be good to get some confirmation that the installer is
                      > working for someone else though!

                      I tried it after a time and the openglut library is now present. antiview is working.

                      You many want to inform any other list that it was announced.

                      Dharmaraj, you should be good to go. If the file doesn't install the library try again after waiting a while.

                      Roger

                      P.S. On my old laptop the aspect is stretched horizontally. The cube looks like a cuboid! It doesn't matter how it is turned so it is the screen that is doing it. I never noticed it before
                    • Adrian Rossiter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                        Hi Roger

                        On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Roger Kaufman wrote:
                        >> It would be good to get some confirmation that the installer is
                        >> working for someone else though!
                        >
                        > I tried it after a time and the openglut library is now present.
                        > antiview is working.

                        Thanks for confirming that.

                        > You many want to inform any other list that it was announced.

                        Good idea.

                        > P.S. On my old laptop the aspect is stretched horizontally. The cube
                        > looks like a cuboid! It doesn't matter how it is turned so it is the
                        > screen that is doing it. I never noticed it before

                        That is interesting. It looks like a situation that antiview
                        could handle

                        http://markmail.org/message/uk34py2dm4j43qvk

                        Adrian.
                        --
                        Adrian Rossiter
                        adrian@...
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                          Appears to work properly....
                          I have not reason (at the moment) to test everything extensively, but the
                          installer installed it; from my DOSbox running, "jitterbug | antiview" shows
                          a cuboctahedron; apparently the GLUT requirement is in place. (Netbook
                          running Windows XP)

                          I have one suggestion: why not include at least one basic .OFF file in the
                          installer so that the user can have a ready-to-display test file? (I hadda
                          go looking for one of mine, to give antiview.exe a file name.)

                          --JBw

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 15, 2012
                            Hi John

                            On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, John Brawley wrote:
                            > I have not reason (at the moment) to test everything extensively, but the
                            > installer installed it; from my DOSbox running, "jitterbug | antiview" shows
                            > a cuboctahedron; apparently the GLUT requirement is in place. (Netbook
                            > running Windows XP)

                            That is good. Thanks for the feedback.

                            > I have one suggestion: why not include at least one basic .OFF file in the
                            > installer so that the user can have a ready-to-display test file? (I hadda
                            > go looking for one of mine, to give antiview.exe a file name.)

                            It probably isn't needed now that the named models are available.
                            You could run, for example

                            antiview ico

                            Adrian.
                            --
                            Adrian Rossiter
                            adrian@...
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 16, 2012

                              > I have rebuilt the installer and re-uploaded it with the same
                              > name as before, but with a note on the Download page and on the
                              > Sourceforge README about the earlier missing library and saying
                              > to download the installer again and reinstall.

                              /antiprism.com/adrian

                              Hi:
                              I re-installed on the net book and the program is running.
                              The program is running on my note book, too. Nice to be getting
                              the new release. I will try out samples.

                              thank you,
                              dharmraj