Re: [antiprism] Re: Hidden points in waterman by sphere-ray

  • Adrian Rossiter
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi Roger

      On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, vortexswirling wrote:
      > Since your algorithm considers north-south-east-west values. Instead of
      > scanning the sphere one point at a time line by line, maybe scanning
      > diagonal plus sign like patches would allow this to be done at run time
      > with no need to store more than two points. From one scan patch of C
      > (center) NSEW are also done. Then the next patch goes up one and over
      > one, the previous N becomes W and the previous E becomes S, so those
      > two points don't need to be recalculated.
      >
      > I think in the end each point still needs to be calculated twice, so
      > complexity goes to the time domain.

      As a compromise, if you are normally scanning in lines
      parallel to the x-axis. Then you would only need to store
      the current and previous two lines of results to be able to
      check the previous line for its neighbours' z-values.

      If you also discard the points whose neighbours are within
      R/sqrt(2) then you will be storing very few points.

      > What if verts of the geom could be indexed on x and y? Just thinking
      > out loud...

      This is what I had in mind when I suggested a map of the x,y
      coordinates to the two z-values.

      Adrian.
      --
      Adrian Rossiter