Just In......A Call to Action

  • thepoetskiss
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2005
      Help establish a U.S. DEPARTMENT OF PEACE!
      A Call to Action

      Dear Friends,

      The feedback on last weekend's Department of Peace Conference - both
      from people who attended as well as people in Congressional offices -

      was tremendous. Our campaign to establish a Department of Peace took
      quantum leap forward, as hundreds of attendees left Washington
      feeling
      their experience of citizenship had been expanded and revitalized.
      Over sixty Congressmen have now signed on to co-sponsor the bill,
      and
      the buzz around the country is palpable. Kudos and congratulations
      all who participated.

      Now we must turn our enthusiasm into substantial follow-through. The
      legislation is being re-introduced today, September 14, and your
      help
      is essential in putting it on the political map. The bill will only
      receive the attention it deserves if a wave of calls and emails put
      it
      square on our representatives' radar.

      l) Call or Email your Congressperson
      Please call or email your Congressperson today, urging them to
      support
      a Department of Peace. Speak or write from your heart about why it
      means so much to you.

      2) Contact friends
      Contact friends you feel would be willing to make the same call
      today
      (or later, if necessary). The Dept. of Peace action alert is printed
      below. Copy and paste it into an email and send to everyone you
      know.

      3) Financial Support
      Due to a very successful conference, we are experiencing rapid and
      exciting growth. And now more than ever our work must be of the
      highest quality. From conference planning to web design to
      organization and training, our staff continues to keep the campaign
      moving. Yet in many cases, they are performing at either half-salary
      or even on a volunteer basis. Please help us remedy this situation,
      and participate in building an organization capable of moving the
      campaign forward even more.

      If a thousand people donate even 20 dollars a month, then we will be
      able to pay our staff, establish an office in Washington and
      increase
      our effectiveness around the country. If you are already a monthly
      donor, please consider increasing your donation; if you are not
      already a donor, please become one now. It is only through our
      shared
      giving that we will be able to accomplish the task at hand. To
      donate, visit:
      https://www.securedservers.net/renaiss/napadonation.html

      Thank you for joining us in building a campaign for a U.S.
      Department
      of Peace. Together we are involved in a meaningful work. May it
      bless
      our children's children's children.

      Sincerely,

      THE PEACE ALLIANCE

      ******************************

      Help establish a U.S. DEPARTMENT OF PEACE!
      A Call to Action
      September 14th, 2005

      HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

      Dear Friend,

      On September 14th, 2005, legislation to establish a U. S. Department
      of Peace will be re-introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives.

      The primary function of a United States Department of Peace will be
      research, articulate and facilitate nonviolent solutions to domestic
      and international conflict. The Department of Peace will employ
      proven
      and effective strategies for reducing violence in our country and
      around world, including nonviolent communication skills, conflict
      resolution techniques and cultural relationship building. Learn
      more
      at http://www.ThePeaceAlliance.org

      We need your support to help make this bill law -- by calling,
      faxing
      and/or emailing your representative and also by spreading the word
      everyone you know.

      Nothing you can do will have as much impact as contacting your
      member
      of Congress on, right before or after, Wednesday, September 14th.
      Further instructions are given below.

      TAKE ACTION NOW!

      *** CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE ***
      Contact your Representative at the U.S. capitol switchboard: (202)
      224-3121. To find your Representative, visit http://www.vote-
      smart.org
      Tell the staffer who answers your call that you want your
      Representative to sign on as a co-sponsor of the Department of Peace
      legislation. Request a written response explaining your member's
      position and the reasoning behind it. It's most effective if you
      call
      first, then follow-up with a fax or email.

      *** WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVE ***
      To write your Representative, click below to get started. This will
      allow you to send an email or a fax to your congressperson.

      http://www.thepeacealliance.org/action

      NOTE: you can first visit our website to see if your congressional
      representative is already a co-sponsor at:
      http://www.thepeacealliance.org/endorsements.htm If they are a
      co-sponsor, it is important that you still call to thank them and
      ask
      them to help garner more support with their colleagues in congress.

      There will be no bill number assigned until after 11:00 a.m. eastern
      on the 14th. We will post the bill number on our website at
      http://www.thepeacealliance.org as soon as it is available on that
      day. In the meantime, just tell your Representative that you want
      them to support the Department of Peace bill. H.R. 1673 is last
      sessions bill number for reference. Call now and on the day the
      bill
      is re-introduced.

      Please also call your senators and ask them to introduce the bill
      into
      the senate. Find your senators at http://www.vote-smart.org

      Join us now. Create a Department of Peace. Help make history.
      Together, we can do this.

      You can also contribute to our campaign by making a financial
      donation
      on our website at
      https://www.securedservers.net/renaiss/napadonation.html, and by
      participating in and/or starting up a local campaign group. We
      already
      have active groups in more than 265 Congressional districts in over
      46
      states. Visit http://www.thepeacealliance.org/organize

      HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE LEGISLATION

      -- Provide much-needed assistance for the efforts of city, county,
      and
      state governments in coordinating existing programs in their own
      communities, as well as programs newly developed and provided by the
      Dept. of Peace

      -- Teach violence prevention and mediation to America's school
      children

      -- Effectively treat and dismantle gang psychology

      -- Rehabilitate the prison population

      -- Build peace-making efforts among conflicting cultures both here
      and
      abroad

      -- Support our military with complementary approaches to ending
      violence

      -- Gather and coordinate information and recommendations from
      America's peace community

      -- The Department of Peace will create and administer a U.S. Peace
      Academy, acting as a sister organization to the U.S. Military
      Academy.

      Learn more at http://www.ThePeaceAlliance.org