World Peace Forum 2006 At Risk!

  • exopolitical@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2005
      World Peace Forum 2006 At Risk!

      ARTICLE:
      _http://peaceinspace.blogs.com/peaceinspaceorg/2005/03/world_peace_for_1.html_
      (http://peaceinspace.blogs.com/peaceinspaceorg/2005/03/world_peace_for_1.html)

      PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY. APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTINGS. WORLD PEACE FORUM
      2006 BELONGS TO THE WORLD. PLEASE TAKE ACTION STEPS AND CONTACT VANCOUVER BC
      OFFICIALS NOW, WHETHER YOU ARE CANADIAN OR USA OR OTHER NATIONALITY. DETAILS
      BELOW.

      Here's how you can help!
      Email or fax the Mayor Campbell and the City Councillors to tell them you
      support the World Peace Forum 2006 request of the City today. The email
      addresses are: _larry.campbell@..._ (mailto:larry.campbell@...) ;
      _fred.bass@..._ (mailto:fred.bass@...) ;
      _david.cadman@..._ (mailto:david.cadman@...) ; _jim.green@..._
      (mailto:jim.green@...) _peter.ladner@..._
      (mailto:peter.ladner@...) ; _raymond.louie@..._
      (mailto:raymond.louie@...) ; _tim.louis@..._ (mailto:%20tim.louis@...) ;
      _anne.roberts@..._ (http://peaceinspace.blogs.com/anne.roberts@...) ;
      _tim.stevenson@..._ (mailto:anne.roberts@...) ;
      _sam.sullivan@..._ (mailto:sam.sullivan@...) ;
      _ellen.woodsworth@..._ (mailto:ellen.woodsworth@...) . The Mayor's fax number is
      604 873-7685. The City Councillor's fax number is 604 873-7750. The City
      of Vancouver mailing address is 453 W. 12th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C., V5Y 1V4.
      Please copy the Joint Steering Committee by cc.ing
      _admin@..._ (mailto:admin@...) .
      Phone and speak to or leave a message with the Mayor and City Councillors.
      Their phone numbers are: Mayor Larry Campbell - 604 873-7621; Fred Bass -
      604 873-7750; David Cadman - 604 873-7244; Jim Green - 604 873-7246; Peter
      Ladner - 604 873-7421; Raymond Louie - 604 873-7243; Tim Louie - 604
      873-7248; Anne Roberts - 604 873-7249; Tim Stevenson - 604 873-7247; Sam
      Sullivan - 604 873-7242; Ellen Woodsworth - 604 873-7245.
      Come to the City Council Meeting on Thursday, March 31st, 2005 at 9:30 am to
      show your support for World Peace Forum 2006 and hold the Mayor and
      Councillors responsible for their actions. City Hall is on the 3rd Floor, 453 W. 12th
      Ave.(at Cambie), Vancouver.
      With your immediate support we are hopeful that the World Peace Forum 2006
      will be a resounding success and will mark a milestone toward building a
      peaceful and sustainable world within our lifetimes.
      Sincerely,
      Joint Steering Committee of the Vancouver Peace and Justice Committee and the
      World Peace Forum Society

      World Peace Forum 2006 At Risk!
      Dear Friends:
      We need your help! _World Peace Forum 2006_
      (http://www.peaceandjustice.ca/wpf.html) At Risk! Please circulate this as broadly as possible.
      We need your help immediately. The _World Peace Forum 2006_
      (http://www.peaceandjustice.ca/wpf.html) is at risk! Email, fax and/or call _Mayor Larry
      Campbell_ (http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/ctyclerk/councillors/campbell.htm)
      to tell him you expect that he and the full _Vancouver City Council_
      (http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/ctyclerk/councilmembers.htm) will support the World
      Peace Forum 2006 at the City Council Meeting on Thursday, March 31, 2005 at
      9:30 am. Plan to be there on March 31st to show your support for the World
      Peace Forum 2006 - Vancouver City Hall, 453 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver. The
      entire Vancouver City Council voted in principle to support the World Peace
      Forum 2006 in 2004, now it at risk of being derailed by the city bureaucracy.
      The B.C. Federation of Labour and the Vancouver and District Labour Council
      both support the Forum.
      On March 15, 2005 the _Joint Steering Committee (JSC)_
      (http://www.peaceandjustice.ca/wpf.html) of the City of Vancouver Peace and Justice Committee and
      the World Peace Forum Society delivered our solid proposal to convene the
      World Peace Forum 2006 in Vancouver June 23 - 28, 2005 in conjunction with the
      City of Vancouver and the World Urban Forum. The full proposal, which we
      have been working on for over the past year, runs 43 pages with 120 pages of
      appendices. Background documentation can be found on the Vancouver Peace and
      Justice website - _www.peaceandjustice.ca_ (http://www.peaceandjustice.ca/) .
      Despite the substantive work done in refining the proposal in cooperation with
      the Mayor's office, the City Manager has issued a report that will
      effectively kill the World Peace Forum 2006 if it is adopted by Vancouver City
      Council. Should that happen we believe that the City will then attempt to simply
      convene a meeting of civic politicians and bureaucrats from world cities in
      conjunction with the World Urban Forum, thereby cutting out the WPF 2006, civil
      society and social movements entirely. We cannot let this happen.
      The _World Urban Forum III 2006_
      (http://www.unhabitat.org/wuf/2006/default.asp) , a UN conference, will conclude the day before the start of the World
      Peace Forum 2006. From the outset we have designed the WPF 2006 to be
      complementary to the WUF. The theme for the WPF 2006 "Cities and Communities:
      Working together to End War and Build a Peaceful, Just and Sustainable World" has
      caught the imagination of people and organizations around the world.
      Significant global organizations have decided to hold their meetings in Vancouver
      in June 2006 in order to dovetail with the work of the _World Peace Forum
      2006_ (http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/civicagencies/peacejustice/pdf/pj2006.pdf) :
      International Association of Peace Messenger Cities, Mayors For Peace, the
      Joint Meeting of IAPMC & MFP, Canadian Pugwash AGM, UN Association of Canada
      National Meeting, International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
      General Meeting and the World Federalist Movement Annual Conference. The Dali
      Lama has recently contacted us indicating he wishes to participate in the
      World Peace Forum 2006.
      Bringing civic governments together with civil society and social movements
      internationally to strategize on peace and sustainability is an historic
      first. We hope it is not the last. Cities and local authorities, acting with
      community support, can effectively contest global militarism and curtail
      ballooning military budgets which starve local and regional governments of the
      resources necessary to provide quality housing, health, education and community
      services. The challenge is to coordinate the networks of civic and social
      movements to work towards a peaceful, just and sustainable world, city by city,
      expanding to nations and internationally.
      We are asking the City to commit $150,000 towards the WPF 2006 $2.18 M
      budget as well has host a joint meeting between the WUF, the WPF 2006, the
      International Association of Peace Messenger Cities and Mayors for Peace. The
      Simons Foundation committed $100,000 towards development of the World Peace Forum
      2006 proposal and is prepared to commit a further $350,000 contingent on
      Vancouver City support. The City-contracted consultants, upon which the City
      Manager's report is based, which is more balanced, concluded that "the current
      Plan put forward by the JSC sets out requests of the City that are
      manageable, and consistent with activities endorsed by past Councils". The report
      recommends the City 1) commit to organizing civic leaders’ meetings with final
      approval subject to further planning; 2) formally endorse the World Peace
      Forum 2006; and 3) provide funding for WPF 2006.
      We have a solid plan which will produce a successful _World Peace Forum 2006_
      (http://www.peaceandjustice.ca/wpf.html) . We anticipate thousands of
      people from around the world will converge on Vancouver to participate in the WPF
      2006 and the above noted meetings. The organizational and legacy benefits to
      the world peace and sustainability movements are enormous. The economic
      benefits to Vancouver and surrounding regions are significant. This is an
      historic opportunity that simply cannot be allowed to fail.
[...]
      READ ARTICLE AT: