The Interupted Journey ~ The Betty and Barney Hill Experience

  • The ARC ~ Alternate Realities Center
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2003
      Greetings Everyone.

      We have been receiving a few messages from those of you who are not familiar
      with, or do not know about the abduction experience of Betty and Barney
      Hill. For this reason, we are forwarding the follwing article for your
      reading enjoyment. We will be in touch with you again next week when we
      sending you the next edition of The ARC ~ Alternate Realities Chronicles.

      Betty Hill- The Grandmother of Ufology
      by Avis Ruffu

      In 1961 in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, coming home from a trip
      from Canada, Betty and Barney Hill spotted a light in the sky. Thinking it
      might have been a asteroid coming in, they kept a close eye on the bright
      object. It occurred to Barney that it might be a military plane of some
      sort. He stopped the car and took his binoculars out to have a look. What
      he saw frightened him. He saw a craft with strange beings looking at him
      from windows. Barney came running back to the car believing that the beings
      in the craft wanted to "grab him." Betty and Barney heard several beeps and
      further down the road they encountered what they believed were nine men in
      the road. The car came to a stop and Betty and Barney were taken from their
      car by beings who were not from this world. They were taken on board the
      craft and both were examined. Betty engaged the beings in conversation and
      seemed to have more reign when aboard the craft. She was shown a star map
      and given a book. After some conversations among the beings, it was decided
      that she would not be allowed to leave with the book. Barney and Betty were
      returned to the car and they continued their trip home. Two hours were
      missing from their timetable. After working with Dr. Simon, being put under
      hypnosis by him, a story so extraordinary it defied everything we held to be
      true about us and our place in the universe, unfolded. A Boston newspaper
      picked up the story and ran it for five days. The story was picked up by
      newspapers around the world. Betty and Barney Hill's story became a part of

      history. Most people believe that was the end of their story...in reality it
      was just the beginning.

      The abduction event is a small part of Betty's history. Betty was a child
      welfare worker in New Hampshire and retired from a supervisory position
      after working for years for the state. Betty raised several children that
      she'd adopted while working and being a wife. Betty's family was important
      to her and she had many brothers and sister and her parents that she and
      Barney were close to. Her father was a mayor and her mother was very
      progressive for her time. Betty and Barney's interracial marriage was unique
      for its day, but they were valued members of their community and it was
      never an issue to them or others. They loved and lived full lives built on
      mutual respect for each other in the service of others. Betty has always
      held strong political views and has been involved in politics as well as
      other organizations that were designed to help the less fortunate. Barney
      was employed with the postal service after being in the military. Barney
      was equally busy working after-hours with civil rights, integration, his
      church, Community Action and other projects. They were solid citizens and
      gave back to their community more than most. These were people that had both
      feet on the ground. They were not a couple of loose canons with pie in the
      sky dreams or fantasies.

      Betty and I went over her history spanning the time period before, during,
      and after her abduction. When Barney died in February 1976, Betty believed
      the interest in them and their abduction would end. It did not. For years
      Betty traveled around the globe going to Russia, South America, and many
      other places. She spent a good deal of time lecturing and doing TV spots
      talking about the 1961 abduction incident. She gave telephone interviews,
      sometimes more than 120 in a month's time.

      Betty retired from the UFO community in September of 1991, her thirty-year
      anniversary of the abduction. She has never regretted her decision to do so.
      She has lived a very full life and gave much of herself over the years to
      traveling , lecturing, and documenting sightings. She was, as she says,
      "ready to retire" and become like one of the local tourist in her home state
      and lie on the beach and go boating. Betty very quietly and unceremoniously
      slipped away from public view. But she never quite made it into that
      retirement. Now and then, as with the N.Y. symposium, she returns for a
      brief moment and then slips back into the background tending to her brood of
      chickens, cat, and flower beds at home.

      Betty is more apt to talk these days about local or global politics.
      Tracing her roots and genealogy is a past-time she loves to research and
      discuss. If the truth be told, she would love to be known when she is gone
      as one of New Hampshire's finest child welfare workers rather than Betty
      Hill of UFO fame. It was a job she took very seriously as she worked for
      many years protecting children. Betty has a great love of people and I
      believe that is what makes her so open and friendly to all she meets. She
      has her opinions, as we all do, and they are held as firmly as her New
      England accent. Betty is extremely bright and quite articulate. A
      reflection of those qualities shows up in her ability to laugh. She has a
      warm and heartfelt laugh that she doesn't mind directing at herself when the
      occasion arises.

      She knows she has lived a charmed life meeting astronauts, scientist and
      celebrities along the way. She has woven into her somewhat controversial
      life a network of good friends whom she views as extended family. The
      telling and retelling of her story has allowed her to be on television
      around the world, even Chinese television, and has afforded her the luxury
      of traveling to many far-away places. She has lived the good life and
      worked hard to preserve her privacy when need be. She is in good health and
      spirits but is tired of telling her story of being abducted saying "it's
      boring." She has moved on and so have we; but every now and then she
      returns to us.

      Many people know of Betty Hill and her abduction experience, but not many
      know of the fifteen years she spent going out in the local community with a
      hand picked group of people to investigate and document sightings. Included
      in her group were high ranking military officials, medical doctors, police,
      associated press, television cameramen, scientists, teachers and a priest.

      She has a collection of slides of UFO's that were made from the pictures
      taken over the years. She still has her dress that she was wearing the
      night of the abduction. Each time I see the dress, there is a little less
      of it to see as samples are taken and sent off to be analyzed in labs around
      the world. As of today, the results are inconclusive regarding the pink
      powdery substance that stained the dress. The dress is kept in a bag but
      every now and then she will bring it out for review. She has the star map
      still vividly ingrained in her mind. Marjorie Fish brought the star map to
      fame when she came across it. Betty had hand-drawn the map under hypnosis
      during one of her sessions with Dr. Simon in Boston. Other than the
      remembering of that map, Betty was left with no clues or information as to
      where the alien visitors came from or any information about them or their
      civilization. Now, Zeta Reticula is often referred to as a possible home of
      our alien visitors. She has a bust of the leader that she and Marjorie
      worked on many years ago. Junior, the name the local school children gave
      to the peculiar green/gray alien, sits retired in the bedroom on a mantel.
      Not many know that on the night she was abducted, Betty was also wearing a
      pair of blue earrings that ended up missing. Many months later when she and
      Barney returned home from a venture to the White Mountains, they found a
      pile of leaves on their kitchen table. Brushing away the leaves, they
      discovered the blue earrings there. They knew that the aliens knew where
      they lived. The abduction took place in the town of Thornton many miles
      from her home. While speaking with the leader, Betty informed him that they
      were not from around there and that she would like to meet them again. The
      leader didn't seem to have any concern with where she lived nor about
      getting back in touch with her should they want. The earrings on the table
      were all the proof she needed that they knew where she lived and at any time
      could, if they chose, make contact with them. Some time later, a neighbor
      told them that he saw two men in black enter the house and did not react or
      think it strange as Betty and Barney had strangers visit quite often.
      Leaving the doors unlocked was something you did back then so the neighbor
      did not think it was suspect to see them enter, believing Betty and Barney
      were home.

      Betty says she has the proof of her abduction. She still has the dress that
      is covered with pink stains of some unknown substance. She has drawn the
      star map that Marjorie Fish brought to fame. Betty told of having a needle
      in the navel and being told it was a pregnancy test. Betty said it was no
      pregnancy test back then in 1961, but afterwards doctors developed the
      "needle in the navel" pregnancy test. The local air force base picked
      something up on radar that evening that they couldn't account for. They also
      sent out two planes to check it out. Because of the military's records,
      Betty and Barney knew that the craft left at 2:14 a.m.. Betty made an
      appearance on F. Lee Bailey's TV show and took a lie detector test which she
      passed. Betty underwent a brain scan to look for anomalies. She passed with
      flying colors. The best proof of Betty's abduction is Betty herself. Her
      story is now 42 years old and she has never waivered from her story in any
      part. She holds fast to the validity of the event and, knowing Betty, one
      is immediately struck by her persona of being a woman of truthfulness and of
      being very grounded, exhibiting a no-nonsense approach to life.

      Betty has had numerous sightings over the years around her home. As she and
      Barney were returning from local events, it was not unusual for them to be
      paced by a UFO. Betty has sat out on her back steps and seen them over the
      house and the trees in her back yard. She laughs, cupping her hands around
      her mouth to demonstrate how she calls out to them with "UFO's? Can you hear
      me? I'm here!" It was typical of Betty to stick her hand out of the car and
      wave when she spotted a UFO in the area yelling out "hi boys." She was
      friendly, not afraid, and believes it had a lot to do with all the sightings
      she has witnessed over the years. Betty is that 'friendly' and talks about
      her experiences as casually as we might talk about going to the store or
      seeing a meteor streak across the night sky.

      I asked Betty one time many years ago "why is it that you are able to see so
      many UFO's and the rest of us will be lucky to see one in our lifetime?"
      She replied "what do you see when you look up at the sky"? I answered
      "stars." "Then that is all you will ever see is stars" she advised. That
      brief statement has stuck with me throughout the years and at times I think
      it must mean something, but I'll be darned if I know what it is.

      During her years of going out at night, Betty has been privileged to see
      numerous UFO's in the area. Sometimes it would be a lone ship coming in and
      at other times a squadron flying in and landing. She has talked to the local
      people who saw as many UFO's as she did. It was not unusual for her to be
      contacted by someone local telling her they saw a UFO come down in broad
      daylight and land in their backyard. Aliens in green suits would get off
      the craft and appeared to be exercising. Then the aliens would get back on
      the craft and leave. There were numerous sightings by families gathered in
      their living rooms watching TV only to turn around and see unearthly
      visitors peering in the windows watching TV right along with them

      Betty describes many of the craft being different in size and purpose. The
      mother ship seems to be the biggest and stays the farthest out and smaller
      and smaller ships are launched as they come down closer to the planet.
      Betty says most people see the smaller ships that come to observe. However,
      there is a craft that comes in that she calls a "sneaky one." It will come
      right down in close to a populated area and set down in a wooded area. The
      craft looks like a house with a pitched roof and the windows are lighted so
      that it looks like someone is home with the lights on. Betty said if you
      passed it while driving you would only think it was a house sitting back in
      the woods. This shape and ordinary appearance allows them to come into
      populated areas without being seen for what they really are.

      I asked Betty if she thought the beings she encountered were biological or
      robotic in nature. She said they were real and not robotic. She said the
      beings she and Barney encountered were anywhere from 3 feet to the tallest
      being 5 feet. They were not weak, skinny creatures...they were rugged. They
      were short in stature but well proportioned and built. Each of the beings
      had a different face and personality just as if there were 11 different
      people together in a room. Again, she surprised me saying "but...they do
      have a robot." It is some kind of robot they use that has a dark structure
      and a large orange head with wires running through it. At one time she saw
      nine of them. Others in their silent UFO research group saw them as well.
      They nicknamed it "pumpkin head". Betty has no idea what their purpose was
      but that pumpkin head was some kind of mechanical device that the aliens
      used for research. Although Betty and Barney met the typical small grays
      with the wrap around eyes, she believes that others have encountered aliens
      that were much different than the ones they encountered.

      In the early years after their abduction, Barney and Betty received reports
      and saw first hand UFO's pacing police cars. If the blue lights were
      flashing on the police car, the UFO had its blue lights on pacing the police
      car down the road. The same was true of a fire truck going to a fire with
      it's red lights on. The UFO's would put on red lights and pace the fire
      truck as it sped to a fire. They have been spotted hanging over schools
      while a school dance was in progress. At a local race track, it was not
      uncommon for folks to witness a UFO sitting silently in the sky over the
      track as a race was in progress.

      Betty claims "they were exploring---primitive life forms--- just trying to
      see how we lived." One time Betty says they telepathically spoke to some
      beings in a craft when a UFO showed up at a Christmas parade. They wanted
      to know what it was all about. I jokingly asked Betty "and just what
      exactly did you say that made any sense?" The aliens were told that it was
      a religious holiday and we had a Santa, with a long beard and red suit that
      gave gifts; but that there really wasn't a Santa. It was the parents who
      gave the gifts. I asked her "did they get it?" She answered "we assumed
      so...they never disagreed with us." Betty told the aliens about all
      holidays.

      Betty reports that at one point they were able to record their
      communications on tape with an alien. The woman who had the tape promised a
      copy to Betty but died and she does not know what happened to that tape.
      Somewhere out there I hope it still exists and someday it will be found.
      Betty is just so darn used to having UFOs and aliens as a part of her life
      she takes little interest in the gathered items she's collected and has
      stored away throughout her home. You would almost be tempted to think that
      some of the stories she tells are the ramblings of an 84 year old woman who
      has a very vivid imagination or has lost touch with reality. But in reality,
      Betty is as solid as the granite rock that the state of New Hampshire itself
      sits upon. Betty is a no-nonsense kind of woman. Even in her advanced age
      she is quick-witted, agile, and has a good strong mind for dates, names and
      facts. I for one would never want to have to come up against her in a court
      of law. She is that convincing.

      The first thing that you notice about Betty is that she is unassuming in her
      presence and just her natural relaxed way of being is refreshing, down-home
      and true. She does not feel all that important but believes it is very
      important that we continue to study the UFO phenomenon and gather as much
      information as we can. Someday we will have contact. Although having said
      that and laughing, she knows first-hand we already have. I asked her why is
      it if so many people have seen them and videotaped them and taken pictures,
      why does the government not come forward. She said "nobody pays attention
      to the government!" The people know they are real because the UFO's and
      aliens let them know they are real. Betty was very impressed with Dr. Steven
      Greer and his attempts to bring the UFO enigma to the forefront and gain the
      support of our government and military. The truth needs to come out. Even
      though she feels we might be looked at as a primitive life form to many of
      our intergalactic visitors, she really has no inside scoop nor was told why
      they are here. Like most, she takes an educated guess at the reasons.

      Betty believes that our space visitors have moved beyond war. "For them to
      come here they have resolved their problems" said Betty. She believes they
      are a peaceful people. She also believes there is a galactic federation of
      some sort and that beings from different parts of this universe know each
      other. Soberly I asked her "do you think they will save us if we resort to
      nukes? She said emphatically "no, they couldn't save us." She hopes that
      we don't end up like the late great planet Mars. If we don't
      blow ourselves up, we will one day resemble our intergalactic brothers.
      Holding Junior on her lap and affectionately patting his head, Betty shares
      what a physical anthropologist told her that 25,000 years from now we will
      look like Junior. With each succeeding generation, we are losing more hair,
      our noses and ears are getting smaller, our eyes bigger. Betty hopes that
      we continue with our space program and move away from our reliance on fossil
      fuel. We will have to if we are to go beyond these few planets that we know
      of to join the rest of the galaxy in exploration and contact. She holds out
      hope for us as a species. Someday someway we will throw off the restraints
      of war, fossil fuel and ignorance to join our fellow travelers among the
      stars.

      Betty became quiet at one point in the interview when she said to me, "I'm
      the only one living. John Fuller is gone, Dr. Simon is gone, Barney's gone."
      I could feel her private memory tinged with sadness as she spoke. When I
      was last up to see Betty, another person of UFO notoriety had died. Norman
      Muscarello of Exeter died, at the age of 55 on February 26, 2003. Norman's
      UFO story was also penned by John G. Fuller in his book Incident at Exeter.
      Norman and Betty lived very close to each other and although they did not
      know each other well, they knew each other. Only Betty is left now.

      Betty, the Grandmother of Ufology remains as "feisty" as ever, living
      quietly among us. She will not be with us forever but she and her story are
      the stuff of legends and it will live on in history. For those of us who
      know her personally, we have been given a gift. She is everyone's
      grandmother in some small way and has generously over the years shared
      herself with us. She is retired but every now and then...she returns.

      Stacey Allen McGee
      Founder and Director
      The ARC ~ Alternate Realities Center
      Www.AlternateRealities.orG

      Email: Director@...
      Mailing Address: Post Office Box 153, Unicoi, TN 37692 USA
      Extraordinary Experiences & Sightings Hotline: (423) 735-0848
      Office Telephone and Meeting Information: (423) 943-6477

      Quotes: "Chance favors the prepared mind..." ~ Lewis Pasteur

      "A mystery will only remain as such while it is unknown to us..." ~ Stacey
      Allen McGee

      "The biggest question facing humanity is not when are we going to learn, but
      rather when are we going to act according to what we already know." ~ Author
      Unknown

      NOTE: The name of this organization was formerly the United States UFO
      Information and Research Center @ www.USUFOCenter.com