... Thanks Crono... *S*milez

  • Bill Butler
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2002
      To: projectstarship@yahoogroups.com
      From: "crono760" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 14:27:25 -0000
      Subject: [Project StarShip] and now, another from
      crono's vault of strange and stupid questions...

      first of all, do plants give off ANY energy when being
      plants?

      (photosynthesis, maybe?).
      -------------------------

      if so, is it possible to use that energy to run a
      greenhouse?
      (light, and irrigation?)

      anyone wondering where this one came from? well, i
      was thinking
      that is you had a spherical module on a spacecraft
      that is spinning,
      then you can farm the whole inside of the module,
      giving you one
      hell of a lot of farming space. this would be useful
      for long space
      voyages (to pluto maybe?) with manned spacecraft. it
      would solve
      the food and air problem.

      now, this greenhouse will use A LOT of energy to keep
      going. past
      jupiter the sun is impractical for nrg, and sure we
      could use a
      nuclear reactor, but just as an experiment, what if we
      COULD use
      plant power? it would certainly help a generational
      ship going to
      alpha centauri, or even tau ceti.

      another question: why is tau ceti so popular with the
      science
      fiction crowd? Arthur C. Clark uses it as a setting
      in a book
      series, a game i own, named system shock 2, has mans
      first
      spacecraft going out to explore tau ceti, things like
      that. why is
      it so special?

      and now, to all the yanks out there: what the hell is
      going on with
      NASA? the space shuttles are 20 yrs old. for a
      spacecraft, that is
      HUGE. are they too good to make a better craft? and
      what about the
      ISS? its behind scheduke, and a waste of time. why
      are they doing
      this? we could be living on Mars right now if the
      apollo program
      wasn't cancelled. i am severely PISSED OFF.

      i'm done now.

      =====
      Bill Butler Worldspaceman :)<vbr><vbr>http://geocities.com/worldspaceman/

      http://faith.yahoo.com