Planetary Society News

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2002

      Fly Missions to Pluto and Europa Now!

      Today, July 11, 2002, we called on the U.S. Congress
      to restore funding for the Pluto and Europa missions,
      following the endorsement of these two missions in
      the newly released National Academy of Sciences report,
      "New Frontiers in the Solar System: An Integrated
      Exploration Strategy."

      "While the report encompasses all aspects of
      planetary exploration," said Louis Friedman, our
      Executive Director, "the pressing issue before
      Congress is whether they will now overturn the
      Administration's proposed cancellation of the
      Pluto/Kuiper Belt flyby and Europa orbiter
      missions."

      You Can Help Make it Happen! --"We are sending a
      petition to Congress signed by thousands of people
      and asking for restoration of the funding for the
      Pluto and Europa missions," said Friedman.
      To sign The Planetary Society's Petition in Support
      of Space Exploration.
      Go to https://planetary.org/petition2/index.php

      For the full story, please go to:
      http://planetary.org/html/news/nrc-decadal-survey.htm

      ***

      Cosmos 1 Passes Test Milestone:
      Solar Sail Blade Is Deployed in Vacuum Chamber

      Our Solar sail spacecraft, Cosmos 1, passed a major
      milestone this week with the successful deployment
      of a solar sail blade in flight configuration in a
      vacuum chamber test at NPO Lavochkin in Khimki,
      Russia.

      The 15-meter solar sail blade deployed to its full
      length in the 12 meter-vacuum. The deployment tested
      a redesigned blade packing scheme, which folded -
      rather than rolled - the blade and its inflatable
      tube frame.

      "Seeing that four-story-long blade deploy in vacuum
      was a thrill," said Louis Friedman, our Executive
      Director and the Cosmos 1 Project Director. "Still
      ahead of us is the extraordinary adventure and
      drama of unfurling the sail in the zero gravity
      conditions of orbit."

      Read the complete story at:
      http://planetary.org/html/news/bladedeploy.html

      subject line.

      The Planetary Society was founded in 1980 by
      Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray, and Louis Friedman to
      encourage the exploration of our solar system and
      the search for extraterrestrial life. With more
      than 100,000 members from over 140 countries,
      we are the largest space interest group on Earth.
      Membership is open to all people interested in our mission.

      Not already a member? Join today at:
      https://planetary.org/JoinUs.html

      If you are interested in the future of planetary
      exploration, please contact us with your thoughts,
      questions, and concerns.

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to allmembers as: ufolight@...
      leave-allmembers-210916O@...