what makes a "***er"....was: [anti-CED] Fwd: Part 1

  • PIASAN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 12/31/04 7:45:33 PM Central Standard Time, tom_kbel@... writes:
      >>>SEJ:
      First, it seems Tom is not "a philosopher" (as he claimed on CED):
      [...]
      but only a philosophy "student" (if even that-see below). If so,
      then this was
      clearly an attempt by Tom to deliberately mislead members of CED,
      just as it
      would be if I, a Biology student, claimed to be a biologist.
      Therefore, unless
      Tom had actually graduated with a university degree in Philosophy, I
      regard
      this a lie by him, in the strong sense of "an assertion of something
      known ...
      by" Tom "to be untrue with intent to deceive":
      ****
      Pi:
      This could depend.  I have completed more than enough hours in philosophy to have the degree.  In fact, when I was in Hawaii, I could have had the degree by taking the minimum 30 hours in residence (didn't matter what subjects), and ONE philosophy class to establish a GPA.  My other philosophy hours and total credits were more than adequate for the degree.

      The same thing applies to my engineering background.  When I left school in Utah, I was actually 3 (elective) courses short of my degree in Computer Science.  However, Computer Science then (1970) and now (2005) have different meanings.  Today, a CS degree means you specialized in computer programming.  Then a CS degree meant you were an Electronics Engineer who specialized in computers.  Thus, today when I discuss it, I usually say either I was 3 classes short of a BSEE or (due to more than 15 years experience) I have a BSEE equivalence.

      So, what is it that makes one a "***er"?  Am I a philosopher?  An engineer?   Probably.

      Also, we all remain "students" for most of our lives.  Often, when my students ask if I "believe in" evolution, I answer that like them I'm a student of science.... I'm just more advanced than they are.

      As a side note, it's kind of funny to see someone on the anti-evolution side complaining about degrees.