Re: DNS entries

  • chloisinthefield
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006
      --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, "John Distazo" <John.Distazo@...>
      wrote:

      > On 9/6/06, chloisinthefield <chlobebe@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is for the IT guys who might possibly be able to help me
      out.

      > > Who would a site with the DNS IP address of 1.1.1.1 belong to?
      > >
      > > It's like this;
      > > A. WebForum is run independently using PHP
      > > B. WebMaster used Company B to register his site/forum
      > > C. Company B registered site using 1.1.1.1
      > > D. IP ranges indicate those are reserved for military only
      > > E. Site is non-military
      > >
      > > Could it be possible that Company B registered with Network
      > > Solutions illegally? Unethically? Deliberately or ignorantly?
      > > Does Network Solutions check their registration material or can
      > > Boffo the Baboon register as Colonel Clink?
      > >
      > > Chlois' inquiring mind wants to know
      > >
      > > Or point me to some geeked out forum where I can pose these
      > > questions. I've already got some answers though still sifting.
      >

      > John:
      > I thought perhaps someone registered with the DOMAIN NAME 1.1.1.1,
      not using
      > IP address 1.1.1.1. Every time I've tried to go to that IP addy
      the browser
      > fails to find anything. I'll be curious what you find out, this is
      > question for bigger geeks than me....

      You're right about it not being the IP address. (I meant Name Server
      entry) I'm not that completely geekable (though for a gal I know
      more than the average woman) so I probably screwed up my phrasing on
      what I was asking.

      I deleted the message 'cause I thought it would just prove to be too
      passe or boring. Some members of this site like to consider me
      fluff. <shrug> and you a God, dear John DiStazo. LOL.

      Nah, seriously I could email you privately with the real story. It
      was quite fascinating to an Infrastructure Architect I personally
      know who said he was a bit perplexed at finding such a Name Server
      address registered to such a supposedly independent site.

      Thus, my inquiring mind has been researching further with people in
      the fields.

      (Hey Roger, are you on this list? Has to do with things in your area)

      Chlois
    • John Distazo
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006
        wrote:

        > On 9/6/06, chloisinthefield <chlobebe@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > This is for the IT guys who might possibly be able to help me
        out.

        > > Who would a site with the DNS IP address of 1.1.1.1 belong to?
        > >
        > > It's like this;
        > > A. WebForum is run independently using PHP
        > > B. WebMaster used Company B to register his site/forum
        > > C. Company B registered site using 1.1.1.1
        > > D. IP ranges indicate those are reserved for military only
        > > E. Site is non-military
        > >
        > > Could it be possible that Company B registered with Network
        > > Solutions illegally? Unethically? Deliberately or ignorantly?
        > > Does Network Solutions check their registration material or can
        > > Boffo the Baboon register as Colonel Clink?
        > >
        > > Chlois' inquiring mind wants to know
        > >
        > > Or point me to some geeked out forum where I can pose these
        > > questions. I've already got some answers though still sifting.
        >

        > John:
        > I thought perhaps someone registered with the DOMAIN NAME 1.1.1.1,
        not using
        > IP address 1.1.1.1. Every time I've tried to go to that IP addy
        the browser
        > fails to find anything. I'll be curious what you find out, this is
        > question for bigger geeks than me....

        You're right about it not being the IP address. (I meant Name Server
        entry) I'm not that completely geekable (though for a gal I know
        more than the average woman) so I probably screwed up my phrasing on
        what I was asking.

        I deleted the message 'cause I thought it would just prove to be too
        passe or boring. Some members of this site like to consider me
        fluff. <shrug> and you a God, dear John DiStazo. LOL.

        Nah, seriously I could email you privately with the real story. It
        was quite fascinating to an Infrastructure Architect I personally
        know who said he was a bit perplexed at finding such a Name Server
        address registered to such a supposedly independent site.

        Thus, my inquiring mind has been researching further with people in
        the fields.

        (Hey Roger, are you on this list? Has to do with things in your area)

        Chlois

        John:
        Sure, I'd like to hear the rest of the story.  And though I'm not a god, in this or any other list, I have designs on being one (at least of the neo-Olympian variety, one day hence).

        --
        He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
        -- Albert Einstein
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006
          All right here goes Chlois' attempt at debunking who is behind
          cropcircleconnector.com.

          Domain Name: CROPCIRCLECONNECTOR.COM
          Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
          Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
          Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
          Name Server: NS2.SRV2.COM
          Name Server: NS.SRV2.COM
          EPP Status: ok
          Updated Date: 10-May-2006
          Creation Date: 30-Apr-1998
          Expiration Date: 29-Apr-2016

          Chlois: Next lookup:

          WHOIS Record For
          srv2.com

          Domain Name: SRV2.COM
          Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
          Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
          Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
          Name Server: NS2.SRV2.COM
          Name Server: NS.SRV2.COM
          EPP Status: clientDeleteProhibited
          EPP Status: clientUpdateProhibited
          EPP Status: clientTransferProhibited
          Updated Date: 28-Jul-2006
          Creation Date: 24-Dec-2000
          Expiration Date: 24-Dec-2009

          Current Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
          IP Address: 1.1.1.1 (ARIN & RIPE IP search) <---- ??? MILITARY?
          IP Location: -(-)
          Record Type: Domain Name
          Server Type: Apache 1
          Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
          Web Site Status: Active
          DMOZ no listings
          Y! Directory: see listings
          Secure: No
          E-commerce: No
          Traffic Ranking: 1
          Data as of: 25-Jul-2006

          Chlois:
          Look up SRV2.COM on the web.

          Up comes the following redirect; http://www.rob-k.srv2.com/
          which states:

          "There is no website configured at this address.

          You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the
          site you have requested. If you think you are seeing this page in
          error, please contact the site administrator or datacenter
          responsible for this site.

          About cPanel:

          cPanel is a leading provider of software for the webhosting
          industry. If you would like to learn more about cPanel please visit
          our website at http://www.cpanel.net/. Please be advised that cPanel
          is not a webhosting company itself, and as such is not responsible
          for content found elsewhere on this site."

          Chlois: Now even looking at the bottom page of WHOIS that gives a
          link:

          LINK: Show underlying registry data for this record

          Current Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
          IP Address: 64.191.53.225 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
          IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-PENNSYLVANIA-SCRANTON
          Record Type: Domain Name
          Server Type: Apache 1
          Lock Status: ACTIVE
          Web Site Status: Active
          DMOZ 4 listings Chlois notes: <---- This is commonly known CC
          researchers
          Y! Directory: see listings Chlois notes: <---- same here
          Web Site Title: The Crop Circle Connector
          Secure: No
          E-commerce: No
          Traffic Ranking: 1
          Data as of: 25-Jul-2006

          Chlois: The site in question is located in the UK. Their ISP is
          located in the UK (blueyonder) and when questioned, knows nothing
          about the registration "error" I brought to their attention. CCC
          obviously used a middle agent (SRV2) to register their site using
          the 1.1.1 DNS entry.

          Thus, I guess this runaround brings me to think that Network
          Solutions does not check anything registered with them so in the end
          Boffo the Baboon can register as Colonel Clink, erm something like
          that.

          Whatcha think John?

          Am I chasing my tail?

          Chlois
        • Dave Oldridge
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
            On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:07, chloisinthefield wrote:

            > This is for the IT guys who might possibly be able to help me
            > out.
            >
            > Who would a site with the DNS IP address of 1.1.1.1 belong to?
            >
            > It's like this;
            > A. WebForum is run independently using PHP
            > B. WebMaster used Company B to register his site/forum
            > C. Company B registered site using 1.1.1.1
            > D. IP ranges indicate those are reserved for military only
            > E. Site is non-military
            >
            > Could it be possible that Company B registered with Network
            > Solutions illegally? Unethically? Deliberately or ignorantly?
            > Does Network Solutions check their registration material or can
            > Boffo the Baboon register as Colonel Clink?

            This looks like you encountered a (very temporary) spoofed
            address or did not understand the information you got. This
            block is reserved and can't be either pinged or traced, as far as
            I can see.

            --

            Dave Oldridge
            ICQ 1800667
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
              On 7 Sep 2006 at 3:07, chloisinthefield wrote:

              > All right here goes Chlois' attempt at debunking who is behind
              > cropcircleconnector.com.
              >
              > Domain Name: CROPCIRCLECONNECTOR.COM
              > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
              > Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
              > Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
              > Name Server: NS2.SRV2.COM
              > Name Server: NS.SRV2.COM
              > EPP Status: ok
              > Updated Date: 10-May-2006
              > Creation Date: 30-Apr-1998
              > Expiration Date: 29-Apr-2016
              >
              > Chlois: Next lookup:
              >
              > WHOIS Record For
              > srv2.com
              >
              > Domain Name: SRV2.COM
              > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
              > Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
              > Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
              > Name Server: NS2.SRV2.COM
              > Name Server: NS.SRV2.COM
              > EPP Status: clientDeleteProhibited
              > EPP Status: clientUpdateProhibited
              > EPP Status: clientTransferProhibited
              > Updated Date: 28-Jul-2006
              > Creation Date: 24-Dec-2000
              > Expiration Date: 24-Dec-2009
              >
              > Current Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
              > IP Address: 1.1.1.1 (ARIN & RIPE IP search) <---- ???

              This is just plain wrong. It may be that way in order to block
              direct entry to their system or something, though that's pretty
              thin protection against that kind of invasion.

              --

              Dave Oldridge
              ICQ 1800667
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, Dave Oldridge <doldridg@...> wrote:

                > On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:07, chloisinthefield wrote:
                >
                > > This is for the IT guys who might possibly be able to help me
                > > out.
                > >
                > > Who would a site with the DNS IP address of 1.1.1.1 belong to?
                > >
                > > It's like this;
                > > A. WebForum is run independently using PHP
                > > B. WebMaster used Company B to register his site/forum
                > > C. Company B registered site using 1.1.1.1
                > > D. IP ranges indicate those are reserved for military only
                > > E. Site is non-military
                > >
                > > Could it be possible that Company B registered with Network
                > > Solutions illegally? Unethically? Deliberately or ignorantly?
                > > Does Network Solutions check their registration material or can
                > > Boffo the Baboon register as Colonel Clink?
                >
                > This looks like you encountered a (very temporary) spoofed
                > address or did not understand the information you got. This
                > block is reserved and can't be either pinged or traced, as far as
                > I can see.

                No actually Dave, the Crop Circle Connector website is one of the
                longest running sites on the subject. Started back in the 90's. The
                forum was added I think around 2002. I have talked with the
                website/forum owner. He always gave me the impression he was a kid
                running his site out of his garage if you get my drift.

                The range of network addresses are reserved for the military. That
                range is from 1.0.0.0-255.255.255.255.

                So it implies that this crop circle site/forum is connected to the
                military. But if so, why not just state it? Is there a cover-up?
                Or were these just clever young men who knew their way around the
                system to keep from getting trashed on the web.

                Chlois' inquiring mind wanted to know...

                Thanks for the input
              • chloisinthefield
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                  Also, let me add further that unless you are conversing online with
                  the key players involved (like I have) and have researched the
                  subject matter and controversy surrounding Crop Circles, you would
                  only be looking at this from the outside in and not really
                  understanding the implication.

                  Some of the researchers in that forum are people who are well-
                  respected in their field and have published documentation (books,
                  articles, websites, TV programs) on the subject.

                  Sure, people who are unfamiliar with the Crop Circle phenomena can
                  say off-the-top of their head well, who cares about Crop Circles and
                  their New Age following and blow it off as inconsequential.

                  And wonder why I have even brought this topic up in a group that is
                  mainly about the CED issue.

                  Well, one of the things I uncovered in the past year was this
                  Australian guy who is a regular on the forum over there. He is also
                  a Bible quoter and while comes across as a tad more intelligent than
                  the average Fundie (says he's a Scientist) I have to wonder what his
                  agenda would really be in promoting Crop Circles as the work of God.

                  In other words, there's a subtle inference there I see, that makes
                  me suspect the ICR or whatever other agencies involved, USE the Crop
                  Circles as a convenient excuse to promote their agenda.
                  It would be like a fundie to promote lies and obfuscate the truth
                  now wouldn't it?

                  Chlois
                • John Distazo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                    On 9/6/06, chloisinthefield <chlobebe@...> wrote:
                    All right here goes Chlois' attempt at debunking who is behind
                    cropcircleconnector.com.

                    Whatcha think John?

                    Am I chasing my tail?

                    Chlois

                    John:
                    Sorry I didn't get back to t his Chlois, but it looks from the convo you had with Dave that you were pretty on top of things.

                    One thing though -- the range of military IP addies being from 1.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, you said, seeems like it pretty well covers the entire IP universe. Did you mean 1.0.0.0 to 1.255.255.255? I didn't go look it up, just guessing on that range.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > John:
                      > Sorry I didn't get back to t his Chlois, but it looks from the
                      convo you had
                      > with Dave that you were pretty on top of things.
                      >
                      > One thing though -- the range of military IP addies being from
                      > 1.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, you said, seeems like it pretty well
                      covers the
                      > entire IP universe. Did you mean 1.0.0.0 to 1.255.255.255? I
                      didn't go look
                      > it up, just guessing on that range.

                      But you still haven't addressed my questions. I guess it is out of
                      your scope of expertise?

                      Chlois
                    • John Distazo
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 8, 2006
                        wrote:

                        > John:
                        > Sorry I didn't get back to t his Chlois, but it looks from the convo you had
                        > with Dave that you were pretty on top of things.
                        >
                        > One thing though -- the range of military IP addies being from
                        > 1.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, you said, seeems like it pretty well covers the
                        > entire IP universe. Did you mean 1.0.0.0 to 1.255.255.255? I didn't go look
                        > it up, just guessing on that range.

                        But you still haven't addressed my questions. I guess it is out of
                        your scope of expertise?

                        Chlois

                        John:
                        It is, and it's out of my time scope lately, I've been up to my eyeballs with work.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                          On 8 Sep 2006 at 22:36, chloisinthefield wrote:

                          > --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, Dave Oldridge <doldridg@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:07, chloisinthefield wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > This is for the IT guys who might possibly be able to help
                          > me
                          > > > out.
                          > > >
                          > > > Who would a site with the DNS IP address of 1.1.1.1 belong
                          > to?
                          > > >
                          > > > It's like this;
                          > > > A. WebForum is run independently using PHP
                          > > > B. WebMaster used Company B to register his site/forum
                          > > > C. Company B registered site using 1.1.1.1
                          > > > D. IP ranges indicate those are reserved for military only
                          > > > E. Site is non-military
                          > > >
                          > > > Could it be possible that Company B registered with Network
                          > > > Solutions illegally? Unethically? Deliberately or
                          > ignorantly?
                          > > > Does Network Solutions check their registration material or
                          > can
                          > > > Boffo the Baboon register as Colonel Clink?
                          > >
                          > > This looks like you encountered a (very temporary) spoofed
                          > > address or did not understand the information you got. This
                          > > block is reserved and can't be either pinged or traced, as far
                          > as
                          > > I can see.
                          > >
                          > No actually Dave, the Crop Circle Connector website is one of
                          > the
                          > longest running sites on the subject. Started back in the 90's.
                          > The
                          > forum was added I think around 2002. I have talked with the
                          > website/forum owner. He always gave me the impression he was a
                          > kid
                          > running his site out of his garage if you get my drift.
                          >
                          > The range of network addresses are reserved for the military.
                          > That
                          > range is from 1.0.0.0-255.255.255.255.
                          >
                          > So it implies that this crop circle site/forum is connected to
                          > the
                          > military. But if so, why not just state it? Is there a cover-up?
                          > Or were these just clever young men who knew their way around
                          > the
                          > system to keep from getting trashed on the web.
                          >
                          > Chlois' inquiring mind wanted to know...

                          See my other post. I don't think the IP address you're gettinrg
                          from TUCOWS is actually referring to anything real. It's just a
                          placeholder.

                          If you want the actual IP address of the Crop Circle website,
                          just give me the URL and I'll tell you.

                          --

                          Dave Oldridge
                          ICQ 1800667
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                            On 8 Sep 2006 at 18:17, John Distazo wrote:

                            > On 9/6/06, chloisinthefield <chlobebe@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > All right here goes Chlois' attempt at debunking who is
                            > behind
                            > > cropcircleconnector.com.

                            > > Whatcha think John?
                            > >
                            > > Am I chasing my tail?
                            > >
                            > > Chlois
                            >

                            > John:
                            > Sorry I didn't get back to t his Chlois, but it looks from the
                            > convo you had
                            > with Dave that you were pretty on top of things.
                            >
                            > One thing though -- the range of military IP addies being from
                            > 1.0.0.0-255.255.255.255, you said, seeems like it pretty well
                            > covers the
                            > entire IP universe. Did you mean 1.0.0.0 to 1.255.255.255? I
                            > didn't go look
                            > it up, just guessing on that range.
                            >
                            > --
                            > He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my
                            > contempt. He
                            > has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the
                            > spinal cord would
                            > suffice.
                            > -- Albert Einstein

                            The actual address of the website is 64.59.144.16 and it's hosted
                            on some server in Scranton PA area. What's the paranoia for?

                            --

                            Dave Oldridge
                            ICQ 1800667
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 10, 2006
                              wrote:
                              >> John:
                              > It is, and it's out of my time scope lately, I've been up to my
                              eyeballs
                              > with work.

                              I took a chance posting my questions here in this group but I can now
                              see it was the wrong group to pose such questions since there is no
                              one here who is capable of answering on the level the questions I
                              asked.

                              In the meantime I have found professionals with the knowledge on the
                              level I was seeking to help study the situation and we have moved
                              forward with our project.

                              Chlois
                            • chloisinthefield
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 10, 2006
                                --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, Dave Oldridge <doldridg@...> wrote:

                                > The actual address of the website is 64.59.144.16 and it's hosted
                                > on some server in Scranton PA area. What's the paranoia for?
                                >
                                > --
                                >
                                > Dave Oldridge
                                > ICQ 1800667
                                > VA7CZ

                                Dave,
                                No offense, but you really should stick to your Catholic Priesthood.

                                Chlois
                              • Dave Oldridge
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 11, 2006
                                  On 10 Sep 2006 at 19:42, chloisinthefield wrote:

                                  > --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, Dave Oldridge <doldridg@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > The actual address of the website is 64.59.144.16 and it's
                                  > hosted
                                  > > on some server in Scranton PA area. What's the paranoia
                                  > for?
                                  > >
                                  > > --
                                  > >
                                  > > Dave Oldridge
                                  > > ICQ 1800667
                                  > > VA7CZ
                                  > >

                                  > Dave,
                                  > No offense, but you really should stick to your Catholic
                                  > Priesthood.

                                  Hey, internet security is something that I do on the side. I've
                                  been tracing internet connections since the late 1980's.

                                  --

                                  Dave Oldridge
                                  ICQ 1800667