Score one for the forces of reason

  • hexagram14@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
      SCIENCE IN THE NEWS
      from Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society

      Today's Headlines - August 2, 2006

      Evolution Opponents Lose in Kansas Primary
      from the Washington Post (Registration Required)

      TOPEKA, Kan. -- Conservative Republicans who approved new classroom
      standards that call evolution into question lost control of the State Board
      of Education in Tuesday's primary election.

      A victory by pro-evolution Republican candidate Jana Shaver over
      conservative Republican Brad Patzer, who supported the standards treating
      evolution as a flawed theory, meant conservatives would at best have five of
      10 seats on the board.

      Five seats were up for election in the primary, the latest skirmish in a
      seesawing battle between faith and science that has opened Kansas up to
      international ridicule. Conservative Republican John Bacon kept his seat by
      besting two pro-evolution challengers. But Shaver's win split the makeup of
      the board between evolution supporters and opponents.

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/01/AR200608010070
      4.html

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/k7ntu

      HR

    • John Distazo
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
        I hope Kansas decides to permanently rejoin the 21st century this time.

        -- John

        --
        He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
        -- Albert Einstein
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
          --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, "John Distazo" <John.Distazo@...>
          wrote:

          > I hope Kansas decides to permanently rejoin the 21st century this
          time.

          > -- John

          What fun would that be? I take it minority rules in Kansas... as it
          seems to in the rest of the USA these days.

          jb