Evolution marches on...for those with open eyes (and minds)

  • hexagram14@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2006
      And the Evolutionary Beat Goes On . . .
      from the Washington Post (Registration Required)

      Stephen Jay Gould would have been pleased. ...about the growing evidence
      that evolution is not just real but is actually happening to human beings
      right now.

      "From 1970 to 2000, there was a widespread view that although natural
      selection is very important, it is relatively rare," said Jonathan
      Pritchard, a geneticist at the University of Chicago. "That view was driven
      largely because we did not have data to identify the signals of natural
      selection. ...In the last five years or so, there has been a tremendous
      growth in our understanding of how much selection there is."

      That insight has only deepened as scientists have gained the ability to read
      the entire human genome, the chain of "letters" that spell out humanity's
      genetic identity. "Signals of natural selection are incredibly widespread
      across the human genome," Pritchard said. "Everywhere we look, there appears
      to be very widespread signals of natural selection in many genes and many
      processes."

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/23/AR2006072300
      472.html

      http://tinyurl.com/j8k8u