Re: WTF?/Segue to Singularity

  • chloisinthefield
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi John,
      These were such interesting thoughts you shared especially to do with
      the Singularity.
      I've been reading through kurzweilai.net lately and came across what
      I think is an interesting paper someone else wrote in the mind-x
      forum. They posted a link to it which is:
      http://www.setaihedron.com/evolution.htm

      Extropian Transcendence seems to be the label that would fit my
      current thoughts/belief system for the moment anyway...until I keep
      researching more trying to push the envelope of my mind and find my
      *voice* someday experientially.

      Chlois

      --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, John Distazo <John.Distazo@g...>
      wrote:
      >John:
      > Well, that's an interesting question. As society goes from the
      current
      > information age into a symbiotic age where the line between
      biological
      > organism and technological artifact begins to blur, most of them
      will accept
      > the benefits of increased technological progress, perhaps while
      protesting
      > that society is becoming more and more decadent. A few will
      stubbornly
      > remain behind, clinging to past ideas, but even the Amish use
      tractors
      > modified for greater speed to allow them to remain "true" to their
      religion
      > yet still get around effectively.
      > I imagine one could write an interesting story about Christians
      living in a
      > post-Apocalypse world during the 1000-year reign of Christ on earth
      that
      > turns out to be the final act of post-humanity before it leaves
      earth
      > entirely. The holdouts are given a fantasy realm where they live
      with Jesus
      > and the saints in perfect peace and contentment. I know I'd draw
      the story
      > into an arc where one person becomes disillusioned with paradise
      and tries
      > to find out why he's so dissatisfied with it, only to discover
      that "heaven"
      > is not what it seems. But, post-Singularity stories are tough to do
      > believably.

    • Zaphod Beadlebrox
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
        --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, "seekeththee" <seekeththee@a...>
        wrote:
        > --- In anti-CED@yahoogroups.com, John Distazo <John.Distazo@g...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > John:
        > > Really, I can't believe this. Steve suspends Paul A
        > > AGAIN?!? This time for asking about the identity of
        > > the designer??!?
        >
        > I don't understand why they are so sensitive to that question?
        >
        > I thought they knew the identity of the designer.

        They need to keep it a secret until the school boards allow them to
        teach ID in science classes. Then they've captured the silver ring!

        jb