Wikinews

  • Steve Haag
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2004
      Below is an entry from a web site called NewHeavenNewEarth, created
      by a friend of mine in Sedona, who's trying to sleuth out the real
      from the unreal of spiritual evolution on the planet and share truth
      wherever he finds it.

      This entry examples the trend on the Internet toward a global nervous
      system, where all parts contribute toward building and ever clearer
      reprentation of our world. Inclusive communication from bottom up,
      top down, and side to side.

      Steve

      NHNE News List
      Current Members: 1102

      NHNE 2004 Fall/Winter Fundraiser:
      Money needed = $8565.00
      Donations to date = 0
      Number of people who have helped = 0
      Funds still needed = $8565.00
      To make a tax-deductible donation:
      Web: https://www.merchantamerica.com/newheavennewearth/merchantpay
      PayPal: http://tinyurl.com/6manp
      eMail: nhne@...
      Phone: (928) 282-6120
      Fax: (815) 346-1492
      Mail: NHNE, P.O. Box 2242, Sedona, AZ 86339
      Credit Cards: Please include number, expiration date, phone number.

      Thank you!

      -----------

      WIKIPEDIA CREATORS MOVE INTO NEWS
      By Joanna Glasner
      Wired
      November 29, 2004

      http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,65819,00.html

      After doing much in recent years to revolutionize the way an
      encyclopedia
      can be built and maintained, the team behind Wikipedia
      <http://www.wikipedia.org/> is attempting to apply its collaborative
      information-gathering model to journalism.

      Through a new effort, Wikinews
      <http://demo.wikinews.org/wiki/Main_Page>,
      members of the open-source community who write and edit Wikipedia's
      encyclopedia entries are encouraged to test their skills as
      journalists. The
      news site follows a similar set of rules as the encyclopedia, which
      allows
      anyone to edit and post corrections to entries, so long as each
      change is
      recorded.

      The current rendition of Wikinews is an experimental version that,
      according
      to Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales, offers just a taste of what's to
      come
      when the news effort builds momentum. Although Wikipedia already posts
      entries tied to current events, Wales said the Wikinews effort
      employs a
      different writing style and approach.

      "Wikipedia has always been very strong for background articles on
      things
      that are in the news," Wales said. "But on Wikinews, each story is to
      be
      written as a news story as opposed to an encyclopedia article."

      In an online vote that concluded Nov. 12, members of the Wikimedia
      Foundation, which operates Wikipedia, decided by a wide margin to
      support
      launching the news site, described on the project discussion board as
      an
      effort "to collaboratively report and summarize news on all subjects
      from a
      neutral point of view."

      Unlike Wikipedia, Wikinews will present original material rather than
      just
      compiling and summarizing information found elsewhere, according to
      the news
      site's organizers. For future submissions, organizers also want to
      set up a
      system for accrediting Wikinews reporters who have actively
      participated in
      the project.

      Both Wikinews and Wikipedia run on Wiki software, an application that
      allows
      users to collectively author web documents. Each page on the site
      contains
      an "edit" link, which users can click to edit passages created by
      other
      writers.

      Wales believes the process of collaborative editing has allowed
      Wikipedia --
      which contains more than 1 million entries in more than 75 languages -
      maintain a neutral tone on a wide variety of controversial topics. He
      expects the same process to prevent bias in Wikinews coverage.

      "The incentive for behavior in a wiki is to write in such a way that
      your
      writing can survive," he said. "The only way it can survive is if your
      writing is acceptable to an extremely wide audience."

      Alex Halavais, graduate director for the informatics school at the
      University at Buffalo, said in an e-mail interview that Wikinews has
      much in
      common with two other efforts at citizen journalism, Indymedia.org
      <http://www.indymedia.org/> and South Korea's OhmyNews
      <http://www.OhmyNews.com/>.

      However, Halavais believes Wikinews' emphasis on neutrality places it
      a step
      apart from the Independent Media Center, which typically has a left-
      wing
      viewpoint, and OhmyNews, which allows authors to editorialize.

      "Compared to these two models, Wikinews feels much more like an
      effort at
      traditional journalism, though the journalists may be amateurs,"
      Halavais
      said.

      Halavais believes Wikinews' collaborative editing process will help
      foster a
      neutral tone in the content of its stories. However, he thinks
      writers'
      biases will affect the selection of articles contributed, in much the
      same
      way that profit motives impact what mainstream media outlets cover.

      "One of the things mainstream media does, for better or for worse, is
      report
      on news they expect will drive sales," he said. "This means ignoring
      foreign
      news, for example, in many cases, because a local audience is not as
      interested. Since there is not the same economic incentive, the
      question is
      what the agenda of Wikinews will look like. I suspect it will reflect
      the
      interests and lives of its citizen reporters."

      As it matures, Wikinews won't resemble a mainstream news site and
      won't
      compete directly with established media outlets, Halavais said.

      For now, Wikinews organizers aren't worried so much about competing
      with big
      media as with filling the news page with enough content to keep
      readers
      coming back. The site's "latest news" section has been running three
      or four
      stories a day lately, although Wales is confident that number will
      grow in
      time.

      "People shouldn't be disappointed when they come and see it's a very
      limited
      selection of stories," he said. "It's going to take some time to
      build up."

      To review current posts:

      Published by NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE)
      eMail: nhne@...
      NHNE Website: http://www.nhne.com/
      Phone: (928) 282-6120
      Fax: (815) 346-1492

      Appreciate what we are doing?
      http://www.nhne.com/main/donations.html

      P.O. Box 2242
      Sedona, AZ 86339
    • kmlightseeker
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2004
        Hi Steve,

        Yes, I've recently discovered Wikipedia! Interesting idea they have of
        accumulating experience and knowledge from the average person. By
        using someone's individual take on a subject - I suppose their opinion
        as opposed to credentialed writng/research background - they also
        bring perception and intuition into the knowledge process.

        Thanks,

        Keith

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Haag" <art@r...>