by sadness of countenance the heart is made glad

  • Realtymagazine.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2004
      by sadness of countenance the heart is made glad on 11/22/04 10:10 PM, mhelsher@... wrote:
      >  Ecclesiastes 7:

      **************************************
      It is better to go to the house of mourning
         than to go to the house of feasting;
      for this is the end of all men,
         and the living will lay it to heart.
      Sorrow is better than laughter,
         for by sadness of countenance
             the heart is made glad.
      The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning;
         but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth...

      Mike,

      I'm reading Huxley's Perennial Philosophy. In the intro he says,

      "...it is a fact, confirmed and re-confirmed during two or three thousand years of religious history, that the ultimate Reality is not clearly and immediately apprehended, except by those who have made themselves loving, pure in heart, and poor in spirit."

      Not sure how far away I am from these ideals. Not sure what poor in spirit means, either. Apparently, those living in houses of mirth are in fools' company.  Sadness makes gladness, but gladness unto itself is somehow going astray? Perhaps the lesson for me is that gladness full of itself without being able to humble itself to see what's going on with the rest of the world in its suffering is what's wrong with joy unto itself.

      In Steiner's How to Know Higher Worlds, I think his sentiment is somewhat similar, that a person must be purified in character in order to be let in to higher perception. And this definitely includes humility, yes? So there's consistency there.

      It's true that Jesus didn't laugh or joke much, so far as the Bible shows. But what about the laughing Buddha? What's he up to?

      I thought all roads lead to God. Perhaps I need to include more roads, not take shortcuts.

      Steve