Re: Birds of a Feather...

  • algorithmyst
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2004
      Hi Val ,

      I know a couple of fables that may answer your question:

      "La dinde, Le canard et Le perroquet"

      Once upon a time, there was a turkey, a parrot, a duck and a wind.
      The wind blew on them and their feathers, soon, were all over the
      place!
      The wind blew stronger and stronger ... from a certain point, not
      only feathers were around, but also the birds themselves were
      flying, over a group of observers, very amazed, watching that
      spectacle!
      It was afternoon; the birds had just eaten their lunch.
      After a while, they felt like going to the toilet; but they did not
      want to stop the flying, helped by the blowing wind!
      They decide let the product of their bowel's movements, moved by
      gravity and guided by laser-sight, fall right on top of the
      observers' heads: Pluft!
      It was a funny entertainment, sooner adopted by others in the
      birds' kingdom! Pigeons, for example nowadays, master this art,
      originally inspired by "Los 3 Amigos", that is, the turkey,
      the parrot and the duck.

      Moral: When birds are flying over our head
      Let's keep our umbrellas opened and well positioned.

      "L'Oiseau blessé d'une flèche" (The Bird Wounded By An Arrow)

      A bird, with plumed arrow shot,
      In dying case deplored her lot:
      "Alas!" she cried, "the anguish of the thought!
      This ruin partly by myself was brought!
      Hard-hearted men! from us to borrow
      What wings to us the fatal arrow!
      But mock us not, you cruel race,
      For you must often take our place."

      Moral: The work of half the human brothers
      Is making arms against the others.

      (Translated from original in French by Jean de La Fontaine)

      ps:There's other famous fables by La Fontaine: "Les Canes et le
      barbet" , "Le chat et les deux moineaux", "Le Corbeau et le
      Renard", "L'Hirondelle et les petits Oiseaux", "Les deux
      Pigeons", "Simonide préservé par les Dieux", "La poule aux
      oeufs d'or", and so many others!
      He was very fond of birds!
      Check them up, it might answer other questions of yours.

      Simone :o)