Re: Mr. Tomberg

  • gaelman58
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 1, 2004
      <franksmith@v...> wrote:

      > >> - Rudolf Steiner, The Philosophy of Freedom: The Reality of
      > > Freedom:
      > >> Chapter Ten: Freedom -- Philosophy and Monism
      > >>
      > >> All of the above is anathema, heresy, and blasphemy to the Roman
      > > Catholic
      > >> Church.
      > >>

      > >> Tarjei
      > >> http://uncletaz.com/
      > >

      > > "Blasphemy to the Roman Catholic Church"...oh, really?
      > >
      > >>From Article 6, Moral Conscience, Catechism of the Catholic
      Church,
      > > no. 1776-1782: "Conscience is the aboriginal Vicar of
      Christ...Man
      > > has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as
      personally
      > > to make moral decisions".
      > >

      > "From Article 6", eh? How about the rest of the Catechism? (from
      catechize;
      > Greek: to din into the ears.)

      Weak stuff, little Catholic boy...what you did not do was address
      your remarks to the catechismal statement itself...something I'd
      guess you're probably unwilling to do because I'm assuming you have
      the competence. Another point...a bit more dicey...is a
      justification of the "I ain't RC no more" statement. With that
      you'd have to make the case that there is no such thing as
      sacraments and that is beyond your competence.
    • holderlin66
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 17, 2004
        http://www.smirkingchimp.com/print.php?sid=18296

        "Kerry has said that he personally opposes abortion but believes the
        decision should be the woman's. (He is therefore 'pro-choice',
        not 'pro-abortion' - though that defining nuance would probably be
        beyond the grasp of barbarian minds.) And last week, the New York
        Times reported that a group of American Roman Catholic bishops
        were 'blanketing' their flock with the news that if they voted for
        Kerry they would be committing a sin; and that they would have to
        confess and repent their vote before they would be permitted to
        receive holy communion again.

        Again - let the reader pause and take that in.

        The likeliest response, I imagine, will be incredulity. But
        incredulity can be as reactionary as comedy. So pause for a moment
        and really take that in.

        And understand the danger in which the Republic - a nation founded
        on the seminal principle of the separation of Church and State -
        stands today.

        These bishops, let it be remembered, had nothing to say a year ago
        when it was revealed that, for many years, large numbers of American
        Roman Catholic bishops and priests had been exuberantly buggering
        little boys. (To the contrary, their response had been to cover up
        those crimes - not just 'sins', but crimes - quickly and quietly
        transferring the criminals to other dioceses, where they were free
        to start again from scratch, preying on the children of a new flock.)

        Nor has it occurred to these bishops that it might be a sin to vote
        for the man who unleashed unwarranted death and destruction upon
        Iraq: an overwhelming military attack, with a bogus rationale,
        resulting in the killing and maiming of tens of thousands of
        innocent men, women and children. To the contrary: these Men of the
        Cloth are avidly engaged in organisational work intended to deliver
        the Catholic vote to the man who launched that gratuitous, and
        ongoing, death and destruction. (Meanwhile, Catholics who vote for
        Mr Kerry can go straight from the polling booth to the confessional
        booth and repent their 'sin'.)

        It's hard to imagine the shame and suffering of real Catholics faced
        with such a debasement of their titular spiritual guides.

        Dan Chaon again: 'I find myself particularly repelled by Bush's
        professed 'Christianity', even as his Administration repudiates
        every value that Christ represents.'

        But that is G W Bush's real country, a country of churches and guns:
        a place awash with Larkin's doctors and priests, and quite devoid of
        newspapers, the 'Net - or, presumably, any scientist not actively
        engaged in designing either bigger and better oil-drilling platforms
        or the next generation of nuclear bombs.

        For there are, in fact, today two Americas; and for more than a year
        now - because that is how long this dangerously exacerbating
        presidential campaign has been going on - one of them has, like a
        black hole, been feeding itself by drawing all the forces of
        darkness unto itself: the unreconstructed, and no longer so
        covert, 'southern' racism; the mindless American bellicosity (surf
        the US TV channels some idle evening and count: you'll find that at
        least half of them are airing programmes or films featuring guns);
        the isolationism, hubris and ignorance of the world; the lobotomised
        and intolerant religiosity; and the age-old American paranoia - the
        ineluctable product of metaphysical guilt - that produced 'Salem'
        and, in our time, McCarthyism.

        These are the Bush legions in the coming election: the National
        Rifle Association; the evangelical and fundamental Christian
        Churches (among which must be numbered, these days, American Roman
        Catholicism); the impoverished and semi-literate descendants of the
        Daughters of the American Revolution, from whose consciousness - as
        they drive around swigging beer with shotguns clipped to the rear
        windshields of their pick-ups, in a thousand two-mule southern
        towns - the hope of spotting some innocent deer or beautiful buck to
        kill is never very far; and, of course, big business - very big
        business - those 'leaders of American industry and commerce' who
        know that the current president's first order of business is to
        license their looting of the US environment, Treasury and citizenry,
        and who have no other interests.

        These are Bush's People, and they are in fact the mirror image of
        militant Islam: a fervid competing presence in the same jostling
        darkness.

        And so Samuel Huntington was wrong: the real 'clash of
        civilisations' in our time is not between cultures in discrete parts
        of the world but, first and foremost, between civilisations within
        the United States itself."