Connery, golf, PC

  • gaelman58
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2004
      You're right Dan, Connery's the man...and the folks on the list knew
      it immediately without my saying it.
      Frank makes a good point in his "Ethnic" thread about the booze.
      My brother-in-law met Connery in a raging rainstorm on golf course
      in Scotland some years ago...played out with him without knowing who
      he was...later in the club house, Connery bought rounds for
      everyone...when my brother-in-law asked who he was, the barman
      said, "that's James Bond".
      A short while ago in the Ryder Cup Golf Championship between the USA
      and Europe, two Irishmen beat Americans Tiger Woods and Davis Love
      III. Some fans began chanting a la soccer, "Ole, Ole, etc". The
      TV commentator with millions of viewers looking on laughed. "Oh,
      they're probably Irish and they're drunk". I was thinking at the
      time some PC idiot is going to take issue with that in the
      media, "Have not the Irish feelings? etc, etc". Well, after a
      commercial the color man went down into the crowd with his mike and
      interviewed the chanters. The TV commentator had gotten it
      right.