Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Retarded Beings

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2004
      At 18:24 04.09.2004, Deborah wrote:

      >I'm sorry not to have a reference for this but I distinctly remember
      >hearing/reading long ago in the 80s sometime that a Christian Community
      >priest had discovered that the Shi'ites, or some demomination of them, did
      >in fact believe that Mohammed had a son. I recall this causing some
      >excitement since it could be considered a bridge between at least part of
      >Islam and Christianity. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

      I cannot answer your question, Deborah, but what the relationship between
      Islam and Christianity is concerned, I learned something from a lecture by
      Peter Norman Waage back in March at the Rudolf Steiner Academy in Oslo,
      entitled "Anthroposophy and Islam." Peter N.W. has studied Islam for many
      decades, and he pointed out a very essential difference between Islam and
      Christianity that seems highly relevant to your question above.

      In Islam, the Word, the Logos, is Scripture: The Koran. In Christianity,
      the Word, the Logos, becomes flesh and is therefore the Christ, the Son of
      God. Mohammed is not the counterpart of Christ in the sense of being the
      Word incarnate; he is only the messenger, the prophet. By the same token,
      Muslims recognize Jesus Christ as a prophet like Mohammed, but not his
      divinity nor his sonship to God. In Islam, the Word is Scripture, so the
      Koran is the counterpart of Christ, not Mohammed.

      For this reason, Mohammed having had a son would be totally irrelevant to
      any bridge between these religions as far as I can see, so I don't
      understand why it would cause any excitement.