Miryam44

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2004
      We began our wanderings again, this time towards the north. It was hot and
      dusty after a long period of dryness. We longed for the green Galilee and
      the soft sea. On the way we went through the province of Samaria. Passing
      through Samaria was always somewhat of an adventure, because hostility
      existed between Judea and Samaria. An ancient hostility that flamed up again
      and again. The Samaritans had, contrary to the law, intermarried with the
      uncircumcised, and in order to preserve their peace and unity, had to change
      much of the old law. They recognized only the book of Moshe from the Holy
      Book, everything else being for them trimmings and not holy. Therefore the
      circumcised in Judea forbade them access to the temple. From then on they
      prayed like the gentiles in the open air on Garizim Hill, their faces turned
      away from Yerushalayim. One might think they would be on better terms with
      the Romans. But no, they were the Roman’s most vehement enemies, and of all
      who cooperated with them: the high-ups in Yerushalayim. The hostility was
      equal on both sides. In Judea I’d heard it said: to accept a piece of bread
      from a Samaritan is as bad as eating pork. So the Samaritans were considered
      unclean. Yeshua was always indignant when the Samaritans were agitated
      against, and he lost no opportunity to intervene for them and bring about
      peace.

      Once, when there was strife between the provinces, a scribe asked him:
      Rabbi, is the commandment from the All-High that one should love one’s
      neighbor valid for you as well?

      What do you mean by this question?

      I’m just asking.

      You people never just ask. I will answer your question. Listen: Once a
      merchant of Judea went from Yerushalayim to Jericho. Thieves attacked him
      there, knocked him down, emptied his pockets and left him lying there. A man
      from Yerushalayim passed by, a priest. He say the wounded man lying there,
      shrugged, and went on. Then a second man came, a Levite, saw the wounded
      man, and passed him by. Then a merchant of Samaria came, who dismounted from
      his horse, bandaged the man’s wounds, lifted him onto his horse, brought him
      to the next hostel where he had him attended to. Before he rode on, he gave
      the innkeeper money and said: Whatever you spend in excess of this, I will
      pay you when I return. Now tell me, friend from Yerushalayim, which one kept
      the commandment of love?

      To have pitted a Samaritan against a Jewish priest, that was going far. The
      scribe walked away frowning, and surely he spread the story around, and
      surely it was exploited: That Nazarene is on the side of he Samaritans,
      listen, listen!

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org