NYTimes.com Article: The Terror Alerts

  • franksmith@vdolores.com.ar
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5 4:53 AM
      The article below from NYTimes.com
      has been sent to you by franksmith@....

      Editorial from a conservative establishment rag near Wall Street. Therefore we can discount it - right?

      franksmith@...

      GARDEN STATE: NOW PLAYING IN NY & LA - SELECT CITIES AUG 6

      GARDEN STATE stars Zach Braff, Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard
      and Ian Holm. NEWSWEEK's David Ansen says "Writer-Director Zach
      Braff has a genuine filmmaker's eye and is loaded with talent."
      Watch the teaser trailer that has all of America buzzing and
      talk back with Zach Braff on the Garden State Blog at:

      http://www.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate/index_nyt.html

      The Terror Alerts

      August 5, 2004

      Our lives have changed so much since Sept. 11, 2001. We
      know that we may never again be free of the threat of
      terrorism. It's been a tough adjustment for everyone, and
      the burden on President Bush is especially heavy. Given the
      unprecedented circumstances and the costs of making a
      mistake, it's easy to understand why the administration has
      had so much trouble managing the way it informs the public
      about potential danger. But after 17 months in which alerts
      blinked from yellow to orange and back a half-dozen times,
      the White House should be past its learning curve. It
      isn't. The events of this week showed starkly that the
      system is not working.

      The administration was obviously right to warn the country
      that Al Qaeda had apparently studied financial institutions
      in three cities with the idea of a possible attack. But the
      delivery of the message was confusing. The color-coded
      threat chart doesn't serve the purpose for which it was
      invented, and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge is
      hopeless as a public spokesman on this issue. The Bush
      administration needs to come up with a method of
      communication that informs the public in a calm, clear way.
      Perhaps most important, people need to be made totally
      confident that this critical matter is not being tangled up
      in the presidential campaign.

      The alert system has always rested on a precarious balance.
      Local officials must have up-to-date information about
      possible danger. Private citizens need to know, too, so
      they can make informed choices and be on the lookout for
      trouble. But it is possible to go overboard. Ratcheting up
      the warning level creates huge costs for city and state
      governments. And if Americans are warned too often, and too
      shrilly, they will become inured to terror alerts.

      In the past, Mr. Ridge and others have talked ominously
      about intelligence that they have routinely described as
      the most alarming since 9/11, without providing details.
      This week they were specific: the five financial
      institutions were in danger of being bombed in the "near
      term." The terror alert was raised to orange for those
      sites in New York, Washington and New Jersey. But things
      quickly lapsed into confusion. For three days, officials at
      news conferences and background briefings said their
      concerns were based on new information, then old
      information, then back to new information. Many people were
      scared out of their wits on Monday, cynical on Tuesday and
      befuddled by yesterday.

      Mr. Bush should junk the color bars, which are now of use
      mostly to late-night comedians. Ordinary people have no way
      of calibrating their lives to the color ladder. It does
      them no good to be told to be scared, more scared or really
      scared, especially when they are also being told to act as
      if nothing's wrong. Unless the government is prepared to
      tell people to stay home from work, there's no reason to
      keep lighting the terror lamps. What we need is information
      that we can use, not another shot of adrenaline.

      We would have been happy last weekend if a senior official
      more adept than Mr. Ridge had called a news conference to
      say what the government knew and what defensive measures
      had been taken. Instead, he spoke in apocalyptic terms,
      then produced an "intelligence official" who offered more
      detail and more alarming words, anonymously. Later that
      day, and on the next day and the day after, other officials
      spoke off the record, providing additional information that
      made the situation seem much more complicated.

      There's a practical aspect to the terror alerts that the
      administration must address to demonstrate its own
      commitment. The higher alert levels require local
      governments to take enormously expensive actions, for which
      Washington is not paying its share. The Homeland Security
      Department has made it clear that New York City is the spot
      that comes up most frequently in terrorism-related
      intelligence, yet money continues to be doled out in a
      manner that has much more to do with elections than genuine
      danger. It's shocking that Washington has not followed
      through on its own information by underwriting the
      protections cities need to stay safe.

      Finally, there is the matter of politics. The Bush
      administration expressed outrage at the suggestion that
      there could be any politics behind any of its warnings, but
      the president has some history to overcome on this issue.
      There is nothing more important for Mr. Bush to do every
      day until Nov. 2 than to make it clear that he would never
      hype a terror alert to help his re-election chances. It is
      a challenge complicated by the fact that he is running on
      his record against terrorism and is using images of 9/11
      and the threat of more attacks to promote his candidacy.
      The president's credibility on national security issues was
      gravely wounded by the way he misled Americans,
      intentionally or not, about the reasons for invading Iraq -
      including the suggestion that the war was part of the
      campaign against Al Qaeda.

      Some of the past terror alerts have seemed aimless and
      happened when the Bush administration would have benefited
      from a change in the political conversation. On Sunday,
      when the administration had grim and specific information
      to convey, Mr. Ridge did a real disservice to himself, his
      president and the public by giving what amounted to a
      campaign pitch for "the president's leadership in the war
      against terror.''

      It's hard to write that off as an offhand comment. If Mr.
      Ridge is to continue in this role, he must stay out of the
      election; using him as a campaign surrogate would be
      disastrous for public confidence. The administration should
      also stop dropping dark hints about Al Qaeda's having
      election-related motives to attack, as if a vote against
      the current president were appeasement.

      Americans are stone-cold serious when it comes to potential
      terror attacks - there is no need to worry about making
      them pay attention. We have learned since Sept. 11, 2001,
      to value every day in which nothing terrible happens as a
      gift and an opportunity. The Bush administration has been
      given the same blessing. Every morning the president and
      his deputies are challenged not only to renew their war
      against potential terrorists, but also to earn the
      confidence of the people they aim to protect.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/opinion/05thu1.html?ex=1092706788&ei=1&en=0d97b3100c248b5a

      HOW TO ADVERTISE
      ---------------------------------
      onlinesales@... or visit our online media
      kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

      help@....

      Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
    • holderlin66
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6 12:16 PM
        Quotes to cook bacon by:

        "There is less talk just now of Mr. Bush playing Alexander the Great
        and pouring molten democracy down the throats of 200 million Arabs.
        Faced with a shortage of ready cannon fodder, Mr. Bush may have to
        change his foreign policy and abandon the conquest of the Middle
        East."

        http://www.observer.com/pages/story.asp?ID=9339
      • holderlin66
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7 4:49 PM
          Now friends outrage at Ahrimanic tendencies is only half the battle,
          recognizing Ahriman's activities is job 1. Here, we have the United
          States drawn into massive alert and our Key STone Cops, FBI dragging
          in and naming a mole who has been undercover in al Qaeda, working
          for uncovering terroirst networks. His cover blown, named and
          shattered by the powerful hungering for scapegoats and media plug
          ins. Here the premature blowing of the cover and hauling
          information, useless, except to cover the Bushies bum is spread to
          boost Bushies fallen numbers and in the process destroying the
          ultimate quest, the HOly Grail of Spying, The High Value Target. HVT
          and the quest of infiltrating al Qaeda.

          Valerie Plame was exposed by insider Bushies and now another
          valuable mole is exposed. What side, what reason and why would such
          wrong headed ness be enabled unless we really don't want to know the
          full story of why we are fighting this phony, endless, never ending
          War on Terror.

          Listen up good souls of Michael and listen well. Yesterday we have
          seen that you can cut off heads on video and make news fake and fake
          news by doing it..As we have described on this list before, faked
          photos and videos and who is who is merely doing exactly what
          Steiner described. We paint others, over there somewhere as
          Barbarians and we as good.

          Ahrimanic fear and fakery, forged documents for yellow cake uranium
          and even to forged passports and documents that reveal Ahrabs
          hijacking planes are no proof of anything these days. Pictures and
          videos can not only be manufactured but doctored and it is the U.S.
          that is doing most of the doctoring and manufacturing. This is the
          advanced version of Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent".

          http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?
          cat=0&aid=807072606_5301_lead_story

          Is it the U.S. who can put together a tape showing a phony Bin Laden
          bragging about 9/11? Is it the U.S. that can show white chairs and
          and Abu Graib prison uniforms and beheadings by terrorists who
          aren't there? Do we play with News in our Orwellian world? Ahriman
          hopes to capture the unripe Sentient Soul of human idiots in the
          West and we are wonderfully at the Balance point in the U.S. Kerry
          vs Bush...psycho ward. But this will not defer Ahriman's hopes and
          intentions when they have come this far and appear this close to the
          goal of world Orwellian domination.

          I am still not convinced that Mosaad cells and martyrs were not
          involved and had a great deal to do with 9/11. Israel and the U.S.
          have been playing the whole world for suckers. There are too many
          unanswered questions and diversions in the White washed 9/11
          commission report. Spin and lie are now epidemic and Media as well
          as our Senate in the U.S. are nothing but corrupt puppets of
          Ahrimanic intentions.

          This would all be funny if it wasn't so tragic to see our fellow
          human beings glibly dancing under Ahriman's puppet strings. It takes
          one back to those old Faust and Mephisto traveling puppet shows for
          children over Europe. The only difference is that we could see the
          Mephisto standing next to the human, today we must build into our
          conceptions insights that both Goethe and Steiner fought hard to
          give us. It is our pulse pounding battle for the Rights of Humanity
          in the Initiation of any 5th Post Atlantean participant. And suited
          and dressed up humans, with pretty boy haircuts all claim our
          attention as the best and the brightest. The best and brightest
          what? Convincing liars and Toilet bowl sentient soul losers?

          It remains to be seen how humanity and the West will get through
          this mess. ONe thing is certain, the entire safety of the world
          depends on humanities higher discernment. Sentient Soul Barbarian
          Armageddon looms as well as nuclear tension and who does it serve?
          It serves the Military and Corporate good ole boy, boyscouts who
          have the souls of snails in a carapace designed for stunted
          Ahrimanic I AM failed development. Yet the powerful infected, super
          virus infections of Ahrimanic elements in the Intellectual Souls of
          humanity are a growing epidemic spawned by failed and superficial
          education.

          Yet, growing, from the very bitter lies ahriman spreads are those
          that demand some sort of Insight into humanism, Michael thinking and
          Global Consciousness Soul maturity. And that would be US, now we
          know how Noah and the Christians in the catacombs must have felt,
          let alone the Cathars, Templars and True Grail Seekers.

          http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/080804W.shtml

          "Holy Grail" of Intelligence
          Security experts contacted by Reuters said they were shocked by
          the revelations that the source whose information led to the alert
          was identified within days, and that U.S. officials had confirmed
          his name.

          "The whole thing smacks of either incompetence or worse," said
          Tim Ripley, a security expert who writes for Jane's Defense
          publications. "You have to ask: what are they doing compromising a
          deep mole within al Qaeda, when it's so difficult to get these guys
          in there in the first place?

          "It goes against all the rules of counter-espionage, counter-
          terrorism, running agents and so forth. It's not exactly cloak and
          dagger undercover work if it's on the front pages every time there's
          a development, is it?"

          A source such as Khan - cooperating with the authorities while
          staying in active contact with trusting al Qaeda agents - would be
          among the most prized assets imaginable, he said.

          "Running agents within a terrorist organization is the Holy
          Grail of intelligence agencies. And to have it blown is a major
          setback which negates months and years of work, which may be
          difficult to recover."

          Rolf Tophoven, head of the Institute for Terrorism Research and
          Security Policy in Essen, Germany, said allowing Khan's name to
          become public was "very unclever."

          "If it is correct, then I would say its another debacle of the
          American intelligence community. Maybe other serious sources could
          have been detected or guys could have been captured in the future"
          if Khan's identity had been protected, he said. "
        • holderlin66
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9 10:02 PM
            Monday 09 August 2004

            http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/080904A.shtml

            "I sat with a photographer from Reuters who had just returned from a
            six-month tour of Iraq. He had been tagging along with the Kellogg
            Brown & Root operation, subsidiary of Halliburton, and saw
            everything there was to see. He went from new military base to new
            military base, from the oil work in the north and back to the south,
            observing how busy were the contactors for Halliburton.

            "I feel like I compromised every one of my principles by even being
            over there," he told me after the story had been spun out a bit. His
            eyes, which had seen too many things through the lens of his camera,
            were haunted.

            "It was two years ago that talk about invading Iraq began to
            circulate. Reasons for the invasion were bandied about - they had
            weapons of mass destruction, they had a hand in September 11, they
            will welcome us as liberators - but it wasn't until the Project for
            the New American Century got dragged into the discussion that an
            understanding of the true motives behind all this became apparent.

            "As for the corporate takeover of the Iraqi oil industry, that has
            become the prime mission of the American soldiers engaged there.
            Kellogg Brown & Root also does a tidy business in the oil-
            infrastructure repair market. "The troops aren't hunting terrorists
            or building a country," said the Reuters photographer. "All they do
            is guard the convoys running north and south. The convoys north are
            carrying supplies and empty tankers for the oil fields around Mosul
            and Tikrit. The convoys south bring back what they pull out of the
            ground up there. That's where all these kids are getting killed.
            They get hit with IEDs while guarding these convoys, and all hell
            breaks loose."

            "That last goal, about overthrowing other regimes in the region,
            hasn't been as easy to follow through on as the PNAC boys might have
            hoped. The Iraqi people are fighting back, and the small-by-
            comparison force Rumsfeld said would be enough to do the job can't
            seem to pacify the country. Perhaps that is because too many troops
            are dedicated to guarding the oil supply lines. More likely,
            however, it is because of the sincere belief among the Iraqi people
            that they have been conquered - not 'liberated' but conquered - and
            their conquerors don't give a tinker's damn whether they live or
            die.

            "The Americans over there have all these terms for people who aren't
            Americans," the Reuters photographer said. "The Iraqi people are
            called LPs, or 'Local Personnel.' They get killed all the time, but
            it's like, 'Some LPs got killed,' so it isn't like real people died.
            Iraqi kids run along the convoys, hoping a soldier will throw them
            some food or water, and sometimes they get crushed by the trucks.
            Nothing stops, those are the orders, so some LPs get killed and the
            convoy keeps rolling. The labels make it easier for them to die. The
            people are depersonalized. No one cares."

            "Everyone is an 'insurgent' over there," the photographer told
            me. "That's another label with no meaning. Everyone is against the
            Americans. There is a $250,000 bounty on the head of every Westerner
            over there, mine too, while I was there. The Americans working the
            oil industry over there are the dumbest, most racist jackasses I've
            ever seen in my life. That's the American face on this thing, and
            the Iraqi people see it."

            The soldiers over there are hip to the jive at this point. Michael
            Hoffman, a Marine corporal in artillery, was part of the original
            March invasion. Before Hoffman's unit shipped out, his battery first
            sergeant addressed all the enlisted men. "Don't think you're going
            to be heroes," said Hoffman's sergeant. "You're not going over there
            because of weapons of mass destruction. You're not going there to
            get rid of Saddam Hussein, or to make Iraq safe for democracy.
            You're going there for one reason and one reason alone: Oil."

            "The Reuters photographer I spoke to couldn't get any soldiers to
            talk about how they felt when surrounded by their fellow
            soldiers. "They don't talk in the ranks, or just about anywhere on
            base," he said. "You have to go out to the latrine area, to the Port-
            O-Potties. For some reason, they talk there. You can read how they
            really feel - all the anti-Bush stuff, all the wanting to go home -
            in the writing on the shithouse walls."
          • holderlin66
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10 2:54 PM
              holderlin wrote;

              Quotes to cook bacon by: By Kurt Vonnegut

              http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/i_love_you_madame_libra
              rian/

              "Albert Einstein and Mark Twain gave up on the human race at the end
              of their lives, even though Twain hadn't even seen World War I. War
              is now a form of TV entertainment. And what made WWI so particularly
              entertaining were two American inventions, barbed wire and the
              machine gun. Shrapnel was invented by an Englishman of the same
              name. Don't you wish you could have something named after you?

              Napalm came from Harvard. Veritas!

              Our president is a Christian? So was Adolf Hitler.

              What can be said to our young people, now that psychopathic
              personalities, which is to say persons without consciences, without
              a sense of pity or shame, have taken all the money in the treasuries
              of our government and corporations and made it all their own?"
            • Tarjei Straume
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10 3:08 PM
                At 23:54 10.08.2004, Bradford wrote:

                What can be said to our young people, now that psychopathic personalities, which is to say persons without consciences, without a sense of pity or shame, have taken all the money in the treasuries of our government and corporations and made it all their own?"

                Elementary, my dear Watson. We're talking about the protection racket, the primary function of government.

                http://makeashorterlink.com/?P17F24409

                A Study Of Government Protection

                "Government is really good at only one thing, and that is to break your leg, then hand you a crutch and say, 'Look, if it weren't for the government you wouldn't be able to walk,'" - Harry Browne

                There is only one way to describe a government that claims it is protecting its population in such a fashion; a criminal protection racket.

                You've heard of the protection racket. You might remember it portrayed in some cheesy cop show from the 70's or the latest mafia glorification vehicle; The Sopranos. Who hasn't read Mario Puzo's The Godfather or seen the adaptation in cinematic form?

                The protection racket succeeds in these stories because it plays on the victim's worst fears. The target is generally a successful business owner. A "security specialist" describes to him a myriad of possible catastrophes, such as theft, arson and murder, which, he insists, are preventable for a fee. Bad men may be plentiful otherwise, but it is all too obvious that the racketeer will be directing such attacks if an agreement isn't reached. The victim knows that he is getting the shaft, but what choice does he have? His protection agency is a criminal enterprise.

                These scenes always beg the obvious questions; "Why doesn't he call the cops?" or "Why doesn't he just shoot the bastard?" In real life however, our pugilistic foil is more than likely a government employee. Who does one call then?

                Government is the largest protection racket ever created. While the mafia has it's niche, the government deals in volume. Every activity in which the citizen engages has become subject to the protection racket. Whether it be flushing a toilet, dispatching property, marriage, earning a living or simply enjoying a night on the town, the wise guys lie in wait for the next unwary customer.

                The protection racket is heinous and foul because it punishes those it is claiming to protect.

                Cheers,

                Tarjei
                http://uncletaz.com/

              • holderlin66