Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] where the buck stops

    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 2, 2004
      Bradford wrote:

      > http://www.nypress.com/17/30/news&columns/AlanCabal.cfm
      >
      > Miracles and Wonders
      >
      > By Alan Cabal
      >
      > "MIRACLES AND WONDERS Last week, USA Today reported a joint effort
      > between Qualcomm and American Airlines' to allow passengers to make
      > cellphone calls from aircraft in flight. According to the story, the
      > satellite-based system employs a "Pico cell" to act as a small
      > cellular tower.
      >
      > "It worked great," gushed Monte Ford, American Airline's chief
      > information officer. "I called the office. I called my wife. I
      > called a friend in Paris. They all heard me great, and I could hear
      > them loud and clear."
      >
      > Before this new "Pico cell," it was nigh on impossible to make a
      > call from a passenger aircraft in flight. Connection is impossible
      > at altitudes over 8000 feet or speeds in excess of 230 mph.
      >
      > Yet despite this, passengers Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Jeremy Glick
      > and Edward Felt all managed to place calls from Flight 93 on the
      > morning of September 11. Peter Hanson, en route to Disneyland with
      > his wife and daughter, phoned his dad from Flight 175. Madeline Amy
      > Sweeney, a flight attendant, made a very dramatic call from Flight
      > 11 as it sped to the North Tower. Barbara Olson made two calls,
      > collect, to her husband at his government office from Flight 77 as
      > it made its way to the Pentagon.
      >
      > Each call was initially reported as coming from a cellphone. Later,
      > when skepticism reared its ugly head and the Grassy Knollers
      > arrived, the narrative became fuzzy; it was suggested that $10-a-
      > minute Airfones were involved. Olson was an easy candidate for
      > Airfone (one doesn't call collect from a cell), but as the stories
      > developed, Olson-and Felt-were said to have called from inside
      > locked lavatories. No Airfone there.

      Sorry to shoot you down again, Bradford, but cell phones do work on
      aircraft, but they are forbidden because they cause interference. If you
      have flown on a commercial plane "recently" (since cell phones were
      invented), you will have noticed that they always announce this prohibition
      before take-off. The people on the 9/11 flights who used their phones
      obviously were't concerned about the rules. The Pico Cells avoid the
      interference problem.
      Frank
    • radistasi2@peoplepc.com
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 23, 2007