Miryam40

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004
      We were four women when we first went together to the Pesach feast in
      Yerushalayim: Yochana, Shoshana, I, and Shulamit. The men: Shimon and
      Andreas, Ja’akov and Jochanan, Philippos and Bartolomaios, both pupils of
      the Baptist, as well as Matthaios the tax collector, Thomas and two other
      Galileans: the other Shimon, who was from Cana, and the young Jochanan, my
      comrade at thought games, and the latest arrivals: Yehuda and Carioth. A
      large group, not to be ignored.

      We weren’t ignored, oh no, there was a lot of talk: a rabbi and, even
      including Shimon, a bunch of young men, together with those women who appear
      with their rabbi in public. What if it spreads? If more and more women join
      them?

      You take them too seriously, it’s a vogue, it’ll disappear as it came.

      What do the people see in this Galilean? With the best will I see nothing
      special about him.

      I heard that they live like the Essenes, they don’t touch each other.

      Oh sure. They are all young. And that one from Magdala with her snake-hair,
      she and her rabbi! Don’t tell me that.

      I’d like to know what the rabbi offers the women to make them run after him
      like that.

      Women always run after men. Nothing occurs to them by themselves. We males
      beget children and ideas, the females do the rest.

      We were told that one of them said: Is it true that they run after a man?
      Isn’t it more likely that they follow a person who doesn’t take them for
      women, but as human beings? They are seeking something that, they say, we
      don’t give them. But what?

      Spirit!

      Women and spirit! Contradiction.

      What do women need spirit for? They should stay home and not wander all over
      the country. They should bear children. They should work, and those young
      men too, instead of standing around the squares and giving rebellious
      speeches in the synagogues and tempting young people out of their homes.
      There are always more of them. Something like this spreads like wildfire.

      This and much more was rumored about us, but far from Roman ears: What if it
      was completely different? If it was preparation for revolt? Look where this
      rabbi gets his followers from: the landless, the poor, the unsatisfied.
      Night after night he sits together with such types in notorious taverns The
      people are in ferment and he takes advantage of it.

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org
    • holderlin66
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3 1:19 PM
        Frank Thomas Smith wrote:

        "Women and spirit! Contradiction.

        What do women need spirit for? They should stay home and not wander
        all over the country. They should bear children. They should work,
        and those young men too, instead of standing around the squares and
        giving rebellious speeches in the synagogues and tempting young
        people out of their homes. There are always more of them. Something
        like this spreads like wildfire."

        Women Pee Wee, Women!!! (from Pee Wee Herman and Captain Karl)

        Suppose, just suppose Martha Stewart, a most dangerous woman, had
        decided to vote for John Kerry? There is a huge, huge, untapped,
        enormous voter block of Women out there. Martha Stewart is a severe
        threat and was a severe threat to a party that feels threats from
        strange quarters.

        Just how dangerous would Martha Stewart have been? Horrifically
        dangerous if the lethargic, dreamy, soccer moms suddenly plugged in
        put their vote towards Kerry, it would be the most astonishing
        ground shift in the U.S. But more importantly was the real
        psychological think tank attack that operates out of the Karl Rove
        machine.. We naive bufoons here at ground zero never see anything
        coming and never really suspect what really were the motives. While
        tangled in political and financial honesty issues, her political
        threat was isolated and numbed with spider venom from the boys.

        Hilary Clinton remains a vital threat to the boys club. Hilary has
        brains and ego and knows how to use them in hand to hand combat just
        like any male political rival. Men and Women hate Hilary. Weenie
        women are jealous of her strength and KKK Republican men in
        political fights fear her because the good ole boy network has
        fought hard to keep Intellectual Soul politics a mans game, played
        by mens rules.

        Ann Coultar is a screaming harpie for the Right. Opportunism and
        fame and I will even entertain the idea that she believes her belief
        system that sides with They are all Evil and we are good and our way
        of life is all sacred and what we do against them is obviously
        justified in Hell as well as Heaven and anyone who thinks otherwise
        is a trator, commie, lying piece of dried cheeze whiz. While it hard
        to believe that anyone believes this..yet women pee wee, women are
        as sad a breed as men.

        During the many conferences at the Democratic Convention it was
        Arianna Huffington who did not think it was the swing states, the
        blow in the breeze voters, but women..women could easily turn the
        tide of votes and win for Kerry. Just imagine if all the Martha
        Stewart women followed the practical home body to the voting polls
        and pulled the same lever she did, for Kerry. It would all be over
        in a New York minute. It was the Bush crew that stabbed Martha
        Stewart and I will wager she has no love for that group, but what a
        voter block she had..can you at least see what damage was done by
        taking out Martha as a threat?

        Now the women I find repulsive are the dogmatic, dysfunctional women
        who just repeat what their drunken, abusive redneck dimwit husbands
        say over and over again. Repeat what their dumb ass church hypocrite
        husband and minister says over and over again. I cannot even rate
        where on the spectrum their polluted soul life has settled in the
        drain catcher. But it is very repulsive lint and scum.

        I don't find women to be different as I AM's to men, that is when
        women actually have a rich soul life; a rich thought life and are
        happy being women, that is treated as I AM's. But people like Tom
        Delay and Newt and so on...naturally can find as many women as they
        like in Utah. Three quarters of the current Republic Party are so
        backward and Ahrimanically retarded in their social vision that they
        rate the same for me as the dysfunctional redneck women.

        As you can see Magdalene and Miryam are stunning issues in today's
        world. Martha Stewart, rather then Ken Lay was the real threat to
        the natonal security of George Bush, for Martha could have toppled
        the empire in a sound byte. Hilary can be kept down because both
        Women and Men are nothing but sleazy Intellectual Soul
        dysfunctional, jealous and hateful people and Hilary is not saint
        either. In painting Hilary it is easy to see Marc Antony and Julius
        Caesar and the whole back stabbing Senate who put it to Caesar. It
        is easy to see that Rome and America are as sleazy as ever.

        In Praise of Unruly Women

        July 21, 2004

        Teresa Heinz Kerry is a breath of fresh air, so why are the media
        choking on it?

        Almost every story about her these days includes at least one snarky
        remark — usually attacking her for her refusal to endlessly
        regurgitate the same preapproved talking points.

        According to the chattering class, Heinz Kerry is — and I quote —
        "too outspoken," "too opinionated," "slightly zany," "eccentric and
        unpredictable," "the queen of direct" and — cover your ears, kids —
        "says what she thinks, when she thinks it."

        In other words, she's an unconventional straight shooter. The horror!

        (Reporters also seem to have a big problem with her hair, which has
        variously been described as "unkempt," "unruly," "humidity-
        frizzed," "voluminous" and "expensively colored a rich auburn" — but
        that's follicle fodder for another column.)

        Even Maureen Dowd, no slouch herself in the independent-thinking
        department, felt compelled to write not one but two columns in the
        course of 10 days slamming Teresa for, among other things,
        being "flaky."

        You gotta love this about our media mavens: They are constantly
        bemoaning the lack of forthrightness in our public figures — the
        vast majority of whom wouldn't know a straight answer if it bit them
        in the butt. But when they are finally presented with someone who
        doesn't (pardon the expression) beat around the bush, they start
        sharpening the long knives.

        They're like a bunch of little kids who have gotten so used to being
        fed nothing but vanilla ice cream for dessert that a serving of
        Rocky Road with some sprinkles on top leaves them sputtering and
        crying, "Yuck!"

        Most of the American public, on the other hand, possess a far more
        developed and discerning palate — and can appreciate more complex
        and piquant flavors.

        And when it comes to spicing up the political dessert tray, Teresa
        Heinz Kerry is one of the most flavorful and compelling public
        figures to hit the national stage in decades.

        When I first met her in Washington in 1980, she was a very popular
        Republican wife, with views very similar to the ones she holds
        today. Now she's a Democratic wife, a philanthropist who oversees a
        foundation that gives tens of millions to causes like the
        environment, healthcare and early education, a loving mother,
        grandmother and stepmother. She grew up in Mozambique, went to
        college in South Africa where she marched against apartheid, is
        fluent in five languages, and learned so much about medicine from
        her oncologist father that friends and family have nicknamed
        her "Dr. T."

        And unlike most politicians, she has a natural gift for intimacy and
        interacts with campaign crowds of 5,000 as if she were sitting
        around chatting with a small group of friends.

        Yes, she is indeed unabashedly open with her opinions on everything
        from the war in Iraq ("I would never have gone to war this way") to
        George Bush ("fazed by complexity") to Botox treatments (she's had
        them).

        But isn't that what we claim to want from those in public life? Or
        are we comfortable with authenticity only when it's a contrivance
        manufactured to appear authentic?

        "I am the product of living in dictatorships," Teresa has said. "It
        makes you cherish the ability to be yourself, to have feelings and
        to speak them when asked. People say I'm blunt. I say, `No, just
        honest.'"

        It's this honesty that has led the media to brand her with the
        scarlet O for offbeat — a caricature given national credence by a
        Newsweek cover that trumpeted: "Is John Kerry's Heiress Wife a Loose
        Cannon or Crazy Like a Fox?"

        It was character assassination by headline — especially since the
        cover line was not in any way reflective of the story inside, which
        painted Heinz Kerry as warm, smart, alive, funny, and, yes, brutally
        honest.

        It's hard to imagine that headline — which was, incidentally,
        written by a man — being used to describe a man. As Marlo Thomas
        once said: "A man has to be Joe McCarthy to be called ruthless. All
        a woman has to do is put you on hold."

        We may have come a long way, baby, but there is no doubt that there
        is still a double standard when it comes to women in politics —
        especially political wives — who are supposed to be smart but not so
        smart that they're threatening, and strong but not so strong that
        they are intimidating.

        It's a high-wire tightrope act, one that's almost impossible to pull
        off to the political media's satisfaction. And this at a time when
        girl power is blossoming in other parts of our culture, especially
        sports and entertainment. Last week's Olympic Trials featured women
        going faster, higher, stronger than ever before. And our movie
        screens are filled with indomitable, determined women like "Kill
        Bill's" Beatrix Kiddo or Keira Knightley's kick-ass Guinevere in the
        new "King Arthur."

        But try to apply these attributes to politics and the media start
        acting like it's 1958 — they suddenly don't know how to handle
        smart, accomplished, complex women. Judy Dean wasn't glamorous or
        supportive enough, Hillary was too smart and too strong, and Teresa
        is too loose-lipped and too unpredictable.

        So it really isn't much of a surprise that the political wife the
        media seem most comfortable with is Laura Bush, who has chosen to
        take on the image of the perfect 1950s sitcom housewife.

        She's the Harriet Nelson of first ladies, the quintessential
        deferential spouse, praised by her husband for not "trying to butt
        in and always, you know, compete" and lauded by the media for her
        ability "to balance strength and subservience." I guess I missed the
        moment when subservience became a virtue.

        When Laura Bush was asked what advice she'd given her twin daughters
        before sending them out this summer to campaign for their father,
        she replied: "Stand up straight and keep your hair out of your
        eyes." Words to live by — if you're Marabel Morgan. Somehow I don't
        think those are the same words of wisdom Teresa Heinz Kerry passed
        on to her stepdaughters before they hit the hustings.

        Both Teresa and Laura are scheduled to deliver primetime speeches at
        their respective party conventions. The contrast between the two —
        and what this contrast says about the men in their lives — should be
        stark. Out on the campaign trail, Teresa is given to in-depth
        discussions about health care and global warming. Laura tends to say
        things like: "I'm not privy to the policy disputes. I'm not over
        there at the table where everyone is actually formulating specific
        policy." Heaven forbid.

        "We need to honor women in all their complexity," Teresa Heinz Kerry
        told me. "It's time that we acknowledge the wisdom women have
        acquired by managing the chaos of daily life. Women are realists,
        the glue that holds society together. They bring a reverence to life
        that's instinctual, not just intellectual."

        Thirty-eight million women didn't vote in 2000, many of them because
        they were so disgusted with our inauthentic politics-as-usual. If
        even a small percentage of them turn out this November, they could
        very well end up deciding the election and the direction of the
        country.

        So I propose that we turn on its ear the traditional good-old-boy
        political litmus test — which candidate would you rather have a beer
        with? Instead, let's ask the women of America: which candidate's
        wife would you rather have a cup of coffee with?"