where the buck stops

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 17 5:09 AM
      In one of his latest posts in his excellent series "Page from Ahriman's
      Playbook", Bradford brings us this report:

      >"Rumsfeld's twenty-four detention facilities used in the "Global War on
      >Terror"-including sites in Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Jordan, and aboard
      >U.S. Navy warships like the USS Bataan-were exposed and demonstrated that
      >the Bush administration is quite capable of running Soviet-style Gulags."

      Let's put the Bush administration aside for the moment - just for the
      moment. An important principle was established in Nurenberg in 1946, namely
      that the buck does not stop at the top, but with the soldier in the field,
      the cop on the beat, the office clerk, the chauffer, the cook - or simply
      the passer-by. The buck stops with the GI, not the White House, with the
      prison guard, not the warden. Of course the wardens and the presidents and
      generals and politicians are guilty as hell, but like I said, we're leaving
      that aside for now.

      The Nurenberg trials in 1946 established that it's everyone's duty to
      refuse to obey unethical orders. Under the threat of immediate execution,
      it's understandable that people under Hitler and under Saddam Hussein
      didn't have the nerve to be disobedient, but under Bush and his henchmen,
      it's nothing less than abject cowardice to obey such orders.

      In cases of police brutality, for instance, *in any regime*, the buck
      doesn't stop with the police chief or the president or the chariman or the
      junta, but with the baton-wielding cop on the beat. And in the case of the
      gross pictures from Abu Ghraib prison, the buck stops with the perpetrators
      caught red-handed on camera.

      Stupidity rules. The idiocy of volunteering for military service in the
      first place. Imagine what would have happened if they'd ordered an invasion
      of Iraq and nobody showed up for work. Just imagine that, visualize it for
      a moment. This situation was visualized by the hippies 35-40 years ago:
      What if they started a war and nobody showed up?

      Here's a little pearl from Donovan:

      Universal Soldier

      He's five foot-two, and he's six feet-four,
      He fights with missiles and with spears.
      He's all of thirty-one, and he's only seventeen,
      He's been a soldier for a thousand years.

      He'a a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain,
      A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew.
      And he knows he shouldn't kill,
      And he knows he always will,
      Kill you for me my friend and me for you.

      And he's fighting for Canada,
      He's fighting for France,
      He's fighting for the USA,
      And he's fighting for the Russians,
      And he's fighting for Japan,
      And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way.

      And he's fighting for Democracy,
      He's fighting for the Reds,
      He says it's for the peace of all.
      He's the one who must decide,
      Who's to live and who's to die,
      And he never sees the writing on the wall.

      But without him,
      How would Hitler have condemned him at Labau?
      Without him Caesar would have stood alone,
      He's the one who gives his body
      As a weapon of the war,
      And without him all this killing can't go on.

      He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame,
      His orders come from far away no more,
      They come from here and there and you and me,
      And brothers can't you see,
      This is not the way we put an end to war.

      http://uncletaz.com/
    • radistasi2@peoplepc.com
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 23, 2007
        Thank you Bradford.