Fwd: Happy Birthday America!

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2004
      To all my fellow United Staters, Happy Birthday to us!

      Cheers,
      JoAnn

      ---------------------------------

      Happy Birthday, America
      By Molly Ivins, AlterNet.

      If we ignore Iraq for the weekend, we should be able to celebrate our national
      heritage without punching each other in the eye.

      ---------------

      AUSTIN, Texas � Happy birthday, America! Ye Olde Fourth of July rolls around
      again and finds the Great Nation in, frankly, a somewhat pissy mood. Lots of
      blame game, name-slinging and general unpleasantness. But there's always an
      upside. The vice president reports that if you go ahead and let fly with the
      f-word, it makes you feel better. Anything to get that fun Dick Cheney back to
      his usual sunny self, I always say.

      True, we seem to have had more halcyon national natal days, but if we ignore
      I��q for the weekend, we should be able to celebrate our national heritage
      without punching each other in the eye.

      So let's salute all that makes America special, starting with us, the people.
      Here's to all the musicians from country to hip-hop to rock to classical to
      jazz to folk to be-bop to norteno to polka to reggae, and to all the fusion
      forms thereof. Here's to all the artists who get no respect � the washboard
      players and lute strummers, harmonica blowers and banjo pickers. Here's to
      their endless generosity in playing special benefits for retired musicians who
      are ill and have no health insurance, all over America, every night. And here's
      to the great Ray Charles, bless his heart. May we all hear his version of
      "America the Beautiful" this holiday.

      And here's to all the dancers who move to all that music, from the wildest Goth
      Watusi to the competitive ballroom dancers and the tango enthusiasts and the
      two-steppers and line-dancers and Celtic folk round dancers and square dancers
      and those who never got the beyond the box-step. Here's to the African dancers
      and tappers, and the experimental modern crowd.

      Here's to everyone trying to lose 10 pounds and all their lo-carb, hi-protein,
      all-fruit, cucumber-only, martini-drinkers' diets � may they all succeed.
      Here's to all their exercise machines and speed walking and gym workouts. Don't
      give up, we'll all be thin and gorgeous someday.

      Here's to all the civic fandangles and to everyone who makes them happen � to
      moms who contribute brownies and dads who judge the goat contests, and the guys
      who set up the band seats. To all the Peanut Festivals, Turkey Trots, One-Armed
      Dove Hunts, Crayfish and Petroleum Days, Fat Stock Show and Rodeos, Blueberry,
      Strawberry and Artichoke Festivals, the Watermelon Thump, the Prairie Chicken
      Fling, Black-Eyed Pea Festival, the county fair, the school fair, the state
      fair, Puerto Rican Day, Gay Pride Day, St. Paddy's, Cinco de Mayo, Juneteenth
      and thousands more. Not to mention the Fourth of July parades.

      Here's to all the good deeds we never hear about, to people who stop to help
      change flat tires, return wallets, take crying children to the lost and found
      and stay until their mommies come, to those who help old ladies across the
      street and especially to those who make waitresses laugh.

      Here's to Tony Korioth, who used to stop to carry an old lady's garbage can up
      to her garage for her, and to his son John, who told the story at Tony's
      funeral. Here's to drivers who let others merge, the neighbors who baby-sit for
      pets and children and aging parents, here's to the gardeners who donate their
      excess zucchini and home-grown tomatoes to their neighbors, to people who bring
      food when someone dies, to all those who pitch in, lend a hand and say, "Let me
      help."

      And here's to keeping America weird. To Scott Peterson and Kobe Bryant for
      making cable television so busy, happy and productive. Here's to the tabloids,
      eternally discovering alien zombies from outer space (have they checked out the
      Veep lately?). Here's to all our grumps and scolds, constantly insisting that
      we're going to hell in a handbasket. Where would we be without an active core
      of selfless citizens constantly prepared to tell us we're dumb, fat and lazy,
      and it's all our fault? Concerning our national habit of polling ourselves to
      find how just how dumb we are, a new study shows 88.2 percent of all Texans
      believe Osama bin Laden has two first names, like Jerry Jeff or Billy Bob.

      Here's to all our dreams and fantasies, to the frumpy women who dream of
      looking like the models in Vogue and Bazaar, to the fat guys who read the
      extreme sports magazines, to the dentists who ride Harleys to get in touch with
      their Inner Biker, to the would-be gunslingers taking part in fast-draw
      contests, the karaoke singers and amateur-night stand up comedians, to the
      sopranos who never made it to the Met but still star in the Methodist choir, to
      the frustrated explorers who take wilderness adventure vacations.

      Our national scolds say we're something awful polarized these days, angry and
      snarling, don't like our fellow Americans. The fundamentalist Christians can't
      stand the so-called secularists, and vice versa. Oh, poop. Fellow citizens, we
      are, by and large, a splendid lot.

      Did you hear what the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor? "Make me one with
      everything."

      Molly Ivins is a best-selling author and columnist who writes about politics,
      Texas and other bizarre happenings.