about Peter S and his anarchism

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2003
      I've been exploring some websites connected to Peter Staudenmaier:

      http://www.social-ecology.org/

      From the faculty info:
      "Peter Staudenmaier has been active in anarchist and ecological movements
      in Germany and the United States since the 1980s. Mr. Staudenmaier works
      with several worker- and resident-managed cooperatives in Madison,
      Wisconsin, including Rainbow Bookstore Cooperative. He writes and lectures
      on history, economics, and political theory, and is coauthor, with Janet
      Biehl, of Ecofascism: Lessons from the German Experience. "

      This guy seems to have a foot inside the international Anarchist Movement.
      Personally, I do not believe that anarchism can be political. It is the
      manifesto of individualistic autonomy. Anarchism negates any endeavor to
      manipulate or control the thoughts, opinions, or behavior of one's fellow
      human beings. It is, in other words, anti-political through and through.
      This is precisely why Rudolf Steiner was so attracted to individualistic
      anarchism that he actually identified himself with it when he wrote the PoF.

      http://www.attackthesystem.com/ppa.html

      "Peter Staudenmeier, in a workshop on cooperatives at Ann Arbor, referred
      to such alternative forms of organization as "social counter-power." Social
      counterpower takes the concrete forms of "prefigurative politics" and
      "counterinstitutions." "

      The recent Ann Arbor event Oct 31-Nov 2 in Ann Arbor was a 2003 NASCO
      INSTITUE event, sponsored by The North American Students of Cooperation (
      http://www.umich.edu/~nasco/index.html )

      PS travels extensively giving interviews, making presentations, recruiting
      converts to the cause of:

      Worker Co-operatives
      Housing Co-operatives
      Self-employment
      LETS schemes
      Alternative Currencies
      Mutual Banking
      Credit Unions
      Tenants committees
      Food Co-operatives
      Allotments
      Voluntary organizations
      Peaceful protest and non-violent direct action

      There is NO demonstration anywhere in the world against a corporation or
      business that NASCO or an affiliate group does not have a hand in
      organizing. They call it anarchist activity that build the elements of a
      new society.

      This reminds me of something significant pointed out by Cato Schi√łtz - a
      Norwegian Supreme Court Attorney and a member of the AS who has also
      commented Staudenmaier: http://www.uncletaz.com/cato/engcato.html - that
      when it comes to progressive alternative movements and initiatives, from
      non-capitalist banking to communes and schools and so on - the
      anthroposophists appear like fast rabbits. Wherever the political Left
      goes, and everywhere it arrives, this anthroposophical rabbit is already
      sitting there, having arrived long before anybody else.

      This must be a frustrating and infuriating experience for left-wing
      *atheists* who want to be the ones leading the way. Take another glance at
      the above list of causes that Peter S. is involved in. The Anthroposophical
      Movement, with its Camphill Movement, non-profit banking, peaceful and
      anti-militaristic approach and so on - this Movement represents a danger, a
      threat, to these Marx-inspired latter-day political anarchists. It wouldn't
      surprise me if Staudenmaier should have borrowed extensively from Steiner's
      social and political ideas, for instance with regard to alternative
      currencies. Let's wait and see. I bet he has read "World Economy"
      (Nationalökonomischer Kurs, GA 340).

      The dangerous New World Order is that of the Bush administration, started
      by the incumbent president's father. Staudenmaier's New World Order, which
      may have a hidden Marxist agenda, may also be dangerous, but it's not an
      immediate threat like the former. And it may be part of his agenda that in
      order to realize his political ambitions, he needs to get Anthroposophy out
      of the way, because it's undermining his influence among the greenies on
      the political left by being too much of a competition.

      Staudenmaier and his agenda is a cancer on the body of the Anarchist
      Movement. Let's not give that body a death sentence by crucifying it. King
      Harald of Norway had his bladder removed on Monday because it was
      cancerous, and he is recovering very rapidly indeed, and the doctors say
      he'll be OK. The Anarchist Movement, which carries the germ of liberty for
      the future, needs to rid itself of such a venomous influence. We should
      treat this Movement like royalty. And I would like to see this movement get
      a spiritualized kick, a redemption from the ditch of materialism in the
      direction of true individual liberty.

      The uncanny thing about Marxism is that it promises liberty and delivers
      slavery. And there may indeed be an attempt by Marxists to capture the
      Anarchist Movement and impose upon it a political agenda based upon
      dialectical materialism. This may evolve into the social order that Ahriman
      might like to perfect when he arrives in the flesh.

      Cheers,

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/