Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: Moore & Bush

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      JoAnn:
      >> ...when Michael Moore notes that the military of this country tends
      >> to be made up of poor and working class men and women... folks the "system"
      >> is rigged against from the word go. But still, they volunteer to serve and
      >> protect us, to give up their lives for us, and "all they ask in return is
      >> that we promise not to put them in harms way unless truly and absolutely
      >> necessary."

      Bryan:
      > I see. There are situations when war is truly and absolutely necessary.

      Of course. The question Michael Moore is asking, along with many other folks,
      is: Was THIS war -- the war in Iraq -- necessary? Especially given the needs
      of the war and reconstruction in Afghanistan, the need for greater expenditure
      on 'homeland security', the way intelligence was twisted (to conform to
      BushCo's pre-existing beliefs), and on and on and on. Especially given that
      the American invasion and occupation of Iraq has served as a recruiting tool
      for the very terrorists BushCo claims to oppose -- and predictably so, if Bush
      & co had bothered to ask anyone who has studied the middle east and its
      politics (which according to my friends who do, they pretty much didn't).

      JoAnn:
      >> Or as John Kerry famously asked back in the early 1970's -- How do you ask
      >> someone to be the last man to die for a mistake?

      Bryan:
      > He should be able to answer this himself now. Last I heard, he was
      > against pulling our troops from Iraq.

      Yeah, he's caught himself between a rock and a hard place there. On the other
      hand, it would be hard to make more of a hash of it than our current Fearless
      Leaders have done. At least Kerry has some first-hand exposure to combat,
      which one hopes will help keep him honest...

      Musing on the nuances and hard choices inherent in service to one's country,
      JoAnn